1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Government Chief Scientific Advisor - fundamental uncertainty in climate science

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by radioprius1, Jan 27, 2010.

1. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, check this out.

Sir John Beddington, the U.K. Chief Scientific Advisor, says:

Science chief John Beddington calls for honesty on climate change - Times Online

In the article, he criticizes 'ol Pachauri for insulting the person who pointed out the massive lie about the Himalayan glaciers. Also, he mentions the exaggerated sea level rise claims, he mentions Arctic ice (everyone says its melting at incredible rates - but Arctic ice is up for the last two years, and Antarctic ice has been on an upward trend since we started measuring it.) Also he briefly mentions the exaggeration of the global temperatures.

Its a short and nice article. It basically says what most of us have been saying - that the catastrophic global warming claims have been greatly exaggerated.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't say that at all. I agree completely with the statements against exageration in the article, and the need for openness of data. But the point of the article is better summarized by this quote:

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is odd that when I point this out it is nonsense, but when you point this out it is a headline.

4. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My favorite part of the article was its listing of some exaggerations:

I think the openness is perhaps the most important thing needed in climate science. I think that any time a paper is published in a journal (or at least a paper that could possibly influence the passage of new law) it should be mandatory that the journal provide a link to a website where you can download (1) the paper, (2) all of the data in clearly readable, legible formats, and (3) all program source code that generated any graphs from the data should be included and be fully documented.

When we read the ClimateGate emails the most glaring thing is that they would not share their data, and being a small group of scientists they usually knew who was peer-reviewing their papers. (Not to mention threatening any journals that published papers against the global warming message.)

5. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's because you said that we can not not know anything about climate change because it takes > 20,000 years to understand climate. The article states that there is uncertainty about the predictions of climate change.

Completely different. I beg you to not come in here and screw up another thread due to your "unique" world view (that, rightfully, no one else seems to have.)

6. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Right now, ice extent is slightly below where it was for the record-breaking 2006-2007 season. From the National Ice and Snow Data Center:

[​IMG]

A clear downward trend has been evident for some time now. No surprise, given the warming of the arctic. (Well, warming if you believe NOAA, NASA or even the UAH data, but to those who don't believe the temperature data, then ... I guess the melting trend is a surprise.) Given the continued warmth in the arctic, there is little reason to expect this trend to turn around over the long term.

[​IMG]

The December 2009 ice extent was about 2% above the all-time low for that month. That's some comfort, I guess.

There is such a high likelihood of further melt that the US Navy is planning on how best to deal with an ice-free summer arctic, possibly by 2030. From Stars and Stripes:

Navy?s role in the Arctic may change as icy lanes clear up | Stars and Stripes

And has been making those plans for nearly a decade now. So it's not like this is sudden.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/icefree/finalarcticreport.pdf

Yet, two decades back, publicly predicting an ice-free summer Arctic by 2030 would have been, well, rare if not unthinkable. So uncertainty cuts both ways.

On the antarctic, well, the starting point there is to read this article, titled "Antarctica is Cold? Yeah, We Knew That". The antarctic isn't supposed to be warming up yet, much. Models of global warming have predicted little or no warming for Antarctica outside the west antarctic penninsula.

RealClimate: Antarctica is Cold? Yeah, We Knew That

Maybe its warming now, maybe its not. If it's warming, it's pretty subtle, and ditto for cooling. The point is that nobody who knows the issues expects the antarctic to behave like the arctic. It's not supposed to. So when I hear somebody talk about a cold Antarctica as a counterexample to global warming models, I say, nope, its a validation of the models. Just say "Antarctica is Cold? Yeah, We Knew That"

1 person likes this.
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A a comment is needed regarding this question of open information. No scientist is going to waste their time responding to 100's of requests for clarifications and data coming from people whose goal is to waste said researcher's time.

Yes, it is that simple.

8. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'll ditto that.

My favorite model for this is what I term "CBO rules" (after the US Congressional Budget Office). The CBO is asked to create budget scores (cost estimates) for everything under the sun. These budget scores matter. Consequently they are constantly harassed by people who don't like this or that assumption or method.

Here's how you play by CBO rules: You don't like my estimate? Fine. Show me your estimate and we'll see whose is better. You don't get to p*ss and moan about what I did unless you can do better.

This is a really healthy model, in my opinion. Why? Because it excludes the dummies but not the people who actually have something to say. You can have an intelligent conversation.

In the case of CBO, I soon learned to come to the table with my estimate, fully worked out and documented as to source. If not, why should they take me seriously? And, on rare occasion, for the little-ticket items that I typically work on, they'll agree with (some version of) my estimate. Shoot, from their standpoint, inviting good outsiders in saves them time.

That's how I feel about the half-baked amateur analyses I see in this area. Some yoyo will take the temperature data, graph it up, get something different from NASA/NOAA/Japanese Meterological/British Met/ etc., and from this, claim that NASA etc. are lying. Really? How about we play by CBO rules: Get an expert panel together, and critique the NASA/NOAA/etc timeseries side by side with the amateur. I think that approach would clear up a lot of the noise you see passing for analysis on the internet.

3 people like this.
  9. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is probably the most unscientific opinion I've read in a while. I find it utterly bizarre that anyone would support scientists hiding their data.

Michael Mann and the CRUminals were producing "revolutionary" research in the field of cliamte science. Mann's original hockey stick basically erased the MWP and the LIA. This view was radically different than anything else presented. They were using this research to convince policy makers that global warming is a very real threat (the hockey stick was in the IPCC report.)

And then when people wanted to verify their results, which is standard in science, they would not give up their data. In fact, the CRUminals proceeded to do everything they could in order to not give out data. They ignored professional requests for the data, they threatened to delete data, etc. They "wasted" more time avoiding giving out their data than it would have took to just archive it up and send it. And it didn't stop at professional requests, it carried on to FOIA requests, etc.

Funny how it took Mann 10 years to discover the MWP. He spent 10 years of research and millions of dollars in research money to discover something we already knew existed.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    f-r-a-u-d

The deception and fraud involved in the AGW movement goes beyond belief. Someone tell me what AGW evidence they know to be 100% correct. I own An Inconvenient Truth, so I watched it again. I wonder if today Al Gore could give that whole presentation with a straight face?

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While the time has come for full openness of climate research (esp. since so much is publicly funded), I dare say that the huge majority of scientific data is kept secret since it is often private industry funding it with the intent to profit from that. Not a bizarre concept at all.

12. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Except that the government allocates millions of dollars for this research. Michael Mann, currently being investigated by Penn State (and others are waiting in line!) recently received half a million for generating more hockey stick graphs:

Economic Stimulus Funds Went to Climategate Scientist

(Much more in the article, here's the first two paragraphs)
    To be fair about this, I believe the funds were given to ClimateGate breaking, but it still shows that government money is being used to fund their research. Additionally, this is why their research and other documents are allowable under the Freedom Of Information Act. Had they not been publicly funded the FOIA would not be applicable.

Bizarre indeed.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Feel free to quote me ever saying this, I never did. I did say we have been changing climate for 20,000 years. I did say we only have accurate records for 120 years. I did not say what you malign me with.

Infesting every climate thread is YOUR job and you dislike competition?

2 people like this.
  14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ... unless doing so supports their ideology.

15. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    What is so difficult and time consuming about posting three links on a public web site? Nothing was said about a need for responding to 100s of requests for clarification in RP's post (bold added):

If code and algorithms are fully documented then there shouldn't be much need for 'clarifications'. And critiques of conclusions and hypothesis are the core of true science. The scientific method calls for findings to be independently reproducible. If you disagree, perhaps you might be interested in investing in my perpetual motion machine, eh?

[edit]Yes, it is that simple.[/edit]

16. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly. Exactly as you said: if the code and data are fully documented then there shouldn't be much need for clarifications.

(Does your machine need batteries? JK!)

17. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Surprise - that's how peer-reviewed science also works.

You don't like the results of a paper? Fine! Write your own paper, get it reviewed, published and then we'll talk!

Unfortunately, the Internet gives anyone who can type a forum - and many people believe anything they read! For example - how many urban myth emails have you been forwarded? It takes 2 seconds to do a bit of research to see if it's true or not, but that doesn't keep people from forwarding those emails around and saying OMG!

18. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    In the interest of fairness, what is Penn State's official statement regarding this? I believe it's this.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/sites/default/files/u5/Mann_Public_Statement.pdf

Worth quoting in its entirety, I think:

"University Reviewing Recent Reports on Climate Information

Professor Michael Mann is a highly regarded member of the Penn State faculty conducting research on climate change. Professor Mann’s research papers have been published in well respected peer-reviewed scientific journals. In November 2005, Representative Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY) requested that the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) convene a panel of independent experts to investigate Professor Mann’s seminal 1999 reconstruction of the global surface temperature over the past 1,000 years. The resulting 2006 report of the NAS panel (Surface Temperature Reconstructions for the Last 2,000 Years) concluded that Mann’s results were sound and has been subsequently supported by an array of evidence that includes additional large-scale surface temperature reconstructions.

In recent days a lengthy file of emails has been made public. Some of the questions raised through those emails may have been addressed already by the NAS investigation but others may not have been considered. The University is looking into this matter further, following a well defined policy used in such cases. No public discussion of the matter will occur while the University is reviewing the concerns that have been raised."

1 person likes this.
  19. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe I read a while back that Penn State would finish the investigation at the end of January. It will be interesting to see what they say.

20. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ... except if you're a dissenting scientist it's difficult to get a paper published when certain authors are putting pressure on editors to not publish papers that don't support their ideological views (read the emails, that is exactly in there.) You should read this book and see how poorly the peer-review process worked in climate science. It might open your eyes to how science is actually supposed to work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1450512437?ie=UTF8&tag=wattsupwithth-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1450512437