1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK owner 2004 prius T4 advice, sell or keep.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by glyndwr, Nov 18, 2021.

1. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all

Ive owned this siver 2004 prius T4 model for the last 10 years.

The car has only done 88000 miles, and i`m in abit of a conundrum with it.
    The car itself is in pretty good condition for its age. There is abit of rust on the bottom of the rear near side door, and the front bumper could do with a respray, but apart form those blemishes, the car is very clean.

now, i dont use it at the moment, and have been asked by someone i know did i want to sell it.

Having had it now for 10 years, and still enjoy driving it / looking at it, i was wondering.
    1. Sell it, and if so, what is it worth these days,
    or
    2. I hve room in a dry garage, store it, put a throw cover over it and keep it.
    Would it be a collectors item / classic car in a few years time due to its low mileage and general good condition. If keeping i would repair / change the rear door and spray the bumper.

Do you think this car could be q collectors item some day?

Thanks
    Glyndwr.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would keep it, if you aren’t concerned about replacing the hybrid battery.
    Likely not a classic, since they are ubiquitous, and last a long time, but who knows?

glyndwr likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is the kind of car you keep forever until you can do something better why would you not and even if you can I have a Prius and 09 that's a work vehicle I'm a general contractor it's free riding almost. I would keep mine I have four Gen 2's I have a Gen 3 that I would get rid of in a heartbeat but my wife won't because it's a persona absolute piece of junk not impressed by the Gen 3 at all and then the Gen 4's and 5's and what have you there interiors are so bad it's a joke they are 3 to 4-year cars if you're lucky

SM-A715F ?

glyndwr likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ouch, peeps are dumping their 16’s and 17’s?

glyndwr likes this.
  5. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    when would you likely need to drive it next? cars are valued high right now and especially hybrids. if it’s already rusting and you don’t see a need for it in the foreseeable future, the cash might be nice. all depends on what you prefer

6. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One

Its not rusting, at some point before i took owership of it, they door had some kind of small repair to the very lower part of the door, near the bottom seam. Theres no rust anywhere elso on the body, alittle on the chassis, to be expected.
    I havent driven it much since going full EV to be honest, but i still like the car, got abit of an emotional attachment to it now.
    The guy i know in question offered me £800 for it. Abit of a pi** take i thought, but thats what he thought it was worth.
    Id say in current marker at least £1500 could be and should be achieveable.

7. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Prius is a mass production vehicle that has little potential for appreciation as a collectible. Collectible cars are usually rare with limited production numbers AND highly desirable. A car that young people could not afford back then but they pay any price to get it later in life when their net worth is high. For example a 1994 Toyota Supra twin turbo with 10k mi sells today for $200,000.
    1994 Toyota Supra | eBay
    The Prius was produced in high numbers, there will be a lot of well maintained and not abused examples keeping the price down.

glyndwr likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go "shopping" - look online for listings on similar Gen2 Prius to see what prices that people are asking. Then you can decide if the potential money is worth it to you. Just keep in mind that a hybrid like a Prius can have some systems deteriorate quicker due to low usage- such the HV battery, or possibly parts of the brake system.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

glyndwr likes this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh it's not even a discussion you already EV. Doh . Do wutcha like . Yeesh. Ivegobs of vehicles . The car is thee last one to speak of . The idea is to get out of car to my boat or plane or motorcycle . A car is to be stuck in Az traffic . A car is like starting child rearing again . Course that's why you here . He he

SM-A715F ?

10. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't store it unused, 12V battery will die first within month or 2 , traction battery will die in 6 months or so. If you don't need it - sell it till it is running and have some value, £800 is a joke, I've just replaced 2001 model with 2008 with just under 80000 miles on clock, it cost me £4000, So IMHO £3000 is absolute minimum due to age but not mileage. Check ebay and autotrader for prices.

glyndwr likes this.
  11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you keep it you’ll need to drive it, to keep it from deteriorating, preferably once a week. If that’s too much of a burden, sell it. Great time to be selling it though.

glyndwr likes this.
  12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ha I do not allow the prii a day off Almost never. Maybe that's why is so good car. Is no allowed to rest. No one even mentions anything anymore get in no display they don't even call anymore . They've learned carry on nothing is happening . Turn up radio and sing etc . Why bother . You rolling 44 mpg. Who cares how fast sty behind the Porsche.

SM-A715F ?

Another likes this.