1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uk Prius Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jimmy6616, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Jimmy6616

Jimmy6616 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Purchased a Nextbase 312GW dash cam but the sucker mount won’t stick to the ‘black dots’ and to locate it somewhere really means on the upper right or left windscreen which I’m not keen on. Would much rather have it somewhere near the middle . As you know there are various sensors behind the mirror. Any recommendations from uk gen 4 owners as to what you’ve purchased \ fitted ? I possibly could use a 3M pad to stick the sucker to the black dots??

Jim

2. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I fitted mine directly to the side of the black dots on the passenger side. I don't notice it there, and it's as central as you'll get it. The windscreen wiper still clears the glass in that area too.

You can use sticky pads on the dots, but at some risk. The sticky pads don't stick well to them, and they tend to fall off. In a previous car I pulled off the black dots when I removed the dashcam.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Halfords put mine beside the black dots on the passenger side and I don't have any problems with that. Of course I can't read the button labels from the drive seat, but that's hardly a major problem. They hid the cable behind the trim and just a short length comes out from the passenger footwell to my power splitter unit. Should be easy to uninstall when my contract ends in 2019.

#3 RCO, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  4. Jimmy6616

Jimmy6616 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks guys will follow your lead

RCO likes this.
  5. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have used the heavy duty scotch black tape made for holding edge molding on vehicles. Found it at the local auto parts store. Has held through 2 Northern Indiana winters and summers (-15 to +102 degrees F)...

RCO likes this.
  6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, those black dots are called frits and I put my dash cam on the passenger side next to the camera. You can tuck the cabling into inside panels and it will look nice and clean.

The frits are supposed to be really hard to remove... :p

RCO likes this.
  7. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I've doubt the car I had then was anywhere near reasonable quality in any aspect. They were akin to self-adhesive stickers. You could remove them with relative ease.

RCO likes this.
  8. Jimmy6616

Jimmy6616 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Did you fit the dash cam with a hardware 12v kit or the provided usb to cigar plug? I’ve fitted using a 12v kit and suffering really bad dab reception

9. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Not sure if you're asking me or not, but yes, I used a hardwire kit. No problems with DAB. But then it's a different radio transmitter, different geology, different car, different hard wire kit, different dashcam, etc.

Jimmy6616 likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    sounds more like they are on the fritz.

RCO and The Professor like this.
  11. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a suction cup dash cam too. Their lens' are wide enough angle that it doesn't matter if they're centrally placed or not. Aim it just a bit toward the center, best you can and don't worry about it. I think it's a better option than scratching the dots off or trying to find something that will stick to them, such that it'll pull them off (thus de-valuing your car down the road)

What I've been having trouble with is it falling off when it gets hot, and I get to my car and find it hanging by the cord.

I've tried leaving the windows open, but have had my interior soaked a couple times by rain recently, so I don't think I'll do that any more. I may put some high temperature double-stick tape on the suction pad, since it is going to be more or less a permanent fixture in the car for the next 10 years.

RCO likes this.
  12. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Heh. FYI, for those of you who are thinking about a rear facing dash cam as well, any placement on the rear window results in a variable amount of static coming through the radio. At least for me and the model of dash cam that I have. Static can be minimized if you don't place it right on the defrosting wires.

Smaug1 likes this.
  13. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I'm going to guess that's because the radio antenna is also part of the heater element? That is a common trick. Curious if just FM radio is affected out DAB, USB, etc too.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can avoid those issues altogether by putting the camera on the outside of the car thusly;
    20180908_140404-1.jpg

15. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would take a water-tight, salt-resistant and UV-resistant camera. Not to mention you'd have to clean the lens and hope it doesn't get hit by any rocks.

I'll take the windshield woes over that any day. ;)

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That above picture is the rear camera
    ;)