1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK spec rear brake problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrew C Day, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Andrew C Day

Andrew C Day New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks

I have a problem with my 2004 T4 UK spec rear brakes. The UK spec rear brakes are very different to American cars so I hope there is someone who knows these. They are disc brakes with a built in drum parking brake. (I can’t think why UK/US should be so different)

I replaced the discs and pads both sides and the r/h calliper which was sticking and took the pads to the metal. When I took the discs off I followed the advice of a poor YouTube video which did not advise to adjust the drums inward to release them, only to screw in bolts to the treaded holes for the purpose. This put great stress on the pads as I tried to force them off and I hope they are OK. Anyway, now when I jack the car and rotate the wheel it rotates fine in clockwise (reverse) direction, but the drive direction it ‘grabs’ and clonks at roughly the same place every rotation and then frees up abut 180deg later. I have made a short video here which I’m uploading to YouTube but it’s taking a while. I’ll post a link when I get one, but perhaps you already know what the problem is from my description.

Any ideas? Many thanks. Andrew

2. Andrew C Day

Andrew C Day New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the video;

3. Andrew C Day

Andrew C Day New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to see that no one was able to help, but I admitted defeat with the set-up and took the car into Toyota for them to sort it out, which they did. Interestingly, I had to adjust the handbrake on my Ferrari f355 due to the warning light not going out and Ferrari used the exact same system of parking drum brakes inside the body of disc brakes. Who'd have thought!