1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK teen permanently barred from US for calling Obama a prick

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 14, 2010.

1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You DO have a point...

We let one of the people that took our folks in the embassy in Iran come here...

Ya know the fella... the guy that was elected Pres of Iran and said that opposition parties and fags don't exist in Iran...

He is on film, but the press doesn't call him a kidnapper and terrorist that took embassy diplomatic hostages.

If this kid makes PM... he'll not only get to come over... he'll do it for dollars... just like Armadin'thave-a-realjob has done.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Once again the media focuses for days on a really, really unimportant detail and just briefly mentions in passing the heart of the matter.

Forget the fact he called Obama a prick. That's not important. That's not why he's banned.

The key word is "threatening". If he just sent an email saying "You're a prick" (or, more likely, "UR A PRIK"), you would never have heard of the guy.

If YOU, an American citizen, sent an email saying "I'm going to kill you, Mr. President.", even if you don't use any non G-rated language you can bet some scary looking guys in black trenchcoats and sunglasses will show up at your door the next day.

To answer an earlier asked question, if I sent an email to the Queen calling her an obscene name, The Powers That Be would roll their eyes, say "Another stupid Yank", and it would be baleeted and forgotten. If I sent a threatening email to the Queen, not only would the aforementioned scary guys show up at my doorstep, but I'd never be able to set foot on the British Isles again.

If the current media were around in 1865, the title of this thread would be "John Wilkes Booth arrested for interrupting play."

2 people like this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the state of security databases he probably can board a plane tomorrow if it's round trip.

That's doubtfull. If it was true it would be bad for the US, as it would be anouther example of finding a threat where there is none, while ignoring clear and present dangers.

Hey, I've got a friend that can't go back to visit burundi because he testified against the man that tried to murder him. Being in a Zimbabwean prision is a much more extreme punishment than not being able to visit the US. Most people can't visit the US.

We all know that there are foul mouthed drunks in the UK, so this just confirms that. Did he threaten the president. Its likely. Was it a serious threat, its unlikely. I doubt that if the man grows up to be an adult, and apologises that he really is barred for like. That is unless it still at that time seems like a real threat.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is true and is just the tip of the iceburg and I tried (and failed?) to make this point earlier. It is becoming more and more difficult to get into the USA even if you have never had a criminal record or called the Present foul names or threatened him. It's getting so bad that it is affecting tourism from our end.

Florida became a very very popular place for UK holiday makers over the last decade, but is quickly losing its appeal as it is becoming harder and harder and/or more complicated to apply for the visa and other related paperwork. This extra paperwork would be understandable if heading to somewhere like North Korea or Iran, but a 2 week holiday in Florida?

The following is an example from a UK tour operator;

Important requirements for holidays to the USA at thomascook.com

If you follow the details carefully or are a seasoned traveller then there shouldn't be any problems, but many have been caught out and sent home immediately for very minor violations. This then scares off others from even bothering to book. Example; do I change my passport at some expense to have a machine readable biometric one for the USA or do I just go to Mexico instead? Do I forget to complete an online authorisation form within 72 hours of travelling and risk being returned home or just book my vacation in Canada?

Granted you've got to have security, but it's a balance and from an outsider it seems to be too far the wrong way.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Canada. :)

I hunch with the recession that tourism's down all over, but I hear of many more people choosing not to travel to the US. I've visited twice in the last two years, which is much more than my average. With a current passport, a clear destination and time frame, no criminal record or subversive activity on file, I had no problems. Of course, I've never written any threatening letters to the President.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So Cuba is too warm?

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    didn't the UK ban michael savage?

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ah two different issues. The power that be should investigate threats to the president or the country. Unfortunately I doubt they are seriously able to tell the difference between a drunk teenager and the British shoe bomber, and that is a problem.

Is the US too tough to get into for British tourist? I'd say no, but it is more difficult than in the past. The problem is I don't think america is any more secure because of the new policies. So higher taxpayer cost, negative benefit of pissing off visitors, negative benefit of not really doing anything about security but spending money as if you are. If you want to see NYC or LA or Yosemite, things uniquely American the hurdles are not high. If you want a beach vacation, Mexico, or Spain, or Greece might be a better choice. BTW, the enhanced security is now with Mexico too, so I can't just drive over the boarder and flash my drivers license, I need that machine readable passport.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lest you think that the immigration and customs authorities are just picking on foreigners, US citizens have to put up with all this additional "security" as well.

On a recent trip to Canada, I was delayed by US Customs for attempting to smuggle a banana into the US. Naive me. I just wasn't aware of the dangers involved in bringing a banana from a Safeway about 3 miles from the border across into Washington state. Cost me about a half hour in Customs, a car search, and they wouldn't let me eat the banana instead of confiscating it because that wouldn't be punishment. I wonder what security database I'm in now.

Talk about security theater.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aww, just come to Alaska, they will let anyone in up here. Alaska is not really part of the USA... at least that is what UPS and Fed-Ex tells us. :D

11. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    People of most countries I've been to seem to know this quite well. May be in UK you guys are slow to wake up. Just wait until the president decides on a regime change in UK :p

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or just wait till the prime minister decides on a regime change over here! :p

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or, like us, when we were driving across Northern Washington, we decided to head up into Canada for some coffee at Tim Horton's.

The nice Canadian border guards didn't have a problem with it. Returning to WA, however...

Border guard: "Why now? Why this border crossing? WHY?"

14. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i always liked the "do you plan to leave any garbage in Canada?" question when crossing the border. It's definitely easier to leave the US than to re-enter.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The appropriate answer to that question: "Why, do you need a ride?"

:D

Tom