1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK TV Ad for New Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wooski, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    similar ad as the rest of Europe, eh? That's a very strong accent...scottish? welsh?

3. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She's definitely Scottish!

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I like it. To the point, cheerleads for itself, and directly lets you know something new has arrived. I'll bet it was a lot cheaper to produce than the human populated cartoons we got here in the states.

5. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like it better than the ones we're seeing in America too. Cartoons is a good description, one was fine, but it's gotten tiresome after that. YMMV

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like the HUD.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just out of curiosity, is the use of a Scottish accent a subtle way of suggesting thrift and/or independence, just because of the Scottish stereotype?

8. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This might explain it a bit better.... taken from the friendsofscotland.gov.uk website......

Scottish – Probably the Best Accent In the World…
    Englishmen have been known to migrate to Los Angeles and return home a scant few months later with a Californian twang stretched across their vowels. American girls will come to work in London and then jet back across the Atlantic sporting shiny new Kensington-influenced accents. However, the chances are that if you dropped a Scotsman into the middle of the Amazonian jungle, where they had to live with the forest people for twenty years, and have no contact with any other Scots, they would still speak like a Scot. In fact it's very likely that the jungle people themselves would all be talking in thick Glaswegian accents. Why? Because, according to an increasingly persuasive amount of research, everyone wants to sound Scottish nowadays. . .

In a recent survey commissioned by the communications group The Aziz Corporation, 55% of business executives said they believed that Scots accent was desirable in business because it conveyed 'above average honesty in the personality of its owner.' Compare this with the survey scores of our United Kingdom counterparts, with some English regional accents scoring as little as 22% and you begin to get an idea of why the Scots accent is so highly prized in the worlds of advertising and telemarketing. The same survey threw up some other interesting statistics: 63% of people believed that if they meet someone with a Scottish accent in a business capacity, they will generally believe that the person is successful. The Aziz Corporation's chairman Khalid Aziz said, 'If you want to get ahead in business. . .it is better to sound as if you are from Scotland than from any English region.' Or, as one female advertising executive, puts it – 'the Scottish accent sells.'

But perhaps this isn't so surprising when we consider the effects the Scots have wrought in the world of cinema. Are there many women over forty who don't go weak at the knees at the sound of Sir Sean Connery's silky purr? Or many women under forty who don't have the same reaction when they hear Ewan McGregor's honey-dipped tones?

9. devante

devante New Member

Model:
    IV
    Great Snaps..

10. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I like it. Could've certainly been worse, plus it's not for Americans to get. :D

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I had no idea. :rolleyes: A bit suspect coming from a Scottish website, but OK. I've seen quite a few films set in Scotland, but can't remember any current Scottish actresses by name, though a quick google search turned up Deborah Kerr. Guess I'll have to settle for dinner with the voice over actress from this commercial. Just don't tell my wife! :D