1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Version Prius Plugin 283MPG? - how please?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Josh Kannah, May 9, 2017.

1. Josh Kannah

Josh Kannah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi there

I am in the UK and I went to the Toyota UK site and it says the Toyota prius plugin can do 283 MPG. How is this possible? does this mean if you put a tank of gas of 15 gallons you can go 283 x 15 gallons = 4245 Miles? this is unheard of and unrealistic no?

How does an average person in London gauge what this means please? any help from the experts please?

1) what range of miles can I expect if i use a full tank of say 15 gallons in London city driving
    2) what can i experct range wise if i had a full tank and did long distance like London to Manchester etc motorway driving

thank you for your help

Cynthia & Josh

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Simply due to different test parameters? I mean, if you're trips are short enough and you're always able to recharge, the only time the engine would run would have to run is if the programing requires it to avoid stale gas.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why is this so hard to believe ?
    The car is a PLUG IN MODEL.
    That means if all your trips are of a shorter distance than the maximum battery range, you will use virtually NO GAS.

On longer trips I suspect the actual fuel mileage would approach other Prius models.
    That probably has been discussed and reported on here already.

4. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's pretty much baloney, but also true!
    First of all, the Prius Prime sold in the U.S. in 2017 has a rated 11.4 gallon (U.S.) capacity. Driving mainly in town, here in Southern California at about 40-45mph, mixed in with about 30% 55-70mph freeway driving, I just did my second fillup of 7.52 gallons after driving 2625 miles! I would charge up to 2 times per day and at night, and pay an average of about 14 cents per KW. I use a 240V rapid charger at home to fully charge in just under 2 hours. Calculating my mileage, you can see 360 MPG! Of course, you know the full truth. The beauty here is that you're running far cleaner than most other people and have a HUGE range. The gasoline-only mileage is sensational, probably in the 60-70 MPG range. I love this car!!

5. Josh Kannah

Josh Kannah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi team
    thank you for your clarification. its just that i want to try and see what the real mileage is if i charge it overnight and then go long distance to say manchester or belgium from london which is long distance. so i understand that after 39 EV drive the gas engine has to start etc. so i am kind of lost as to how to calculate per gallon basis after that. so I have asked Toyota dealers and even head office , and they said they cannot help as this was done in the lab and they cannot comment on real life situations. I am so frustrated as no one can say with a single overnight charge and a full tank of gas with an average driving habit (no fast speeding or quick acceleration) how far i can go without another gas fill or plugin basically.

they have the technology to find an airplane like A380 flying range of say 7000 flying miles but no one even Toyota cannot seem to answer this simple 1 tank of gas and a single charge how many miles i can do :)

Cynthia

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A great many factors will affect mileage: temperature, elevation, traffic, stops, driver enthusiasm, etc.
    So it is hard to pin one single number. Actual owners report their mileage to the site fuelly.com, here we see 31 owners got an average of 79 MPG(US) (95 (UK) or 3.0 l/100km over 212,000km or 131,000 miles.

Toyota Prius Prime MPG - Actual MPG from 31 Toyota Prius Prime owners

This is no sign you will. Actual owners at fuelly show between 49 MPG and 148 MPG, quite a spread.

Data Daedalus and Prius from Dad like this.
  7. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here in the US of A you can get 640 miles on one 11.5 gallon tank of gas, 615 miles + 25 miles of EV

8. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree with these posts but as @HPrimeAdvanced said, you can expect HV only to be in the 60-70 mpg range and as others have said there are a lot of factors. But going with 65 mpg and 1 charge you can probably go about 770 miles on 1 charge and 11.3 gallons of gas.
    65*11.3+39 (your EV estimate) = 773.5 miles. Cheers!

9. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you're planning a trip from London to Manchester, about 200 miles each way, your Prius Prime Advanced (or European equivalent) could easily make that round trip with over 300 miles of reserve to explore!. If you have access to charging stations or places to charge at friend's or family's house, then you get a bonus and you don't have to get any nasty petrol. You've gotta love it!!. Bon voyage, as we say in France!

10. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's scary, Pepe le Prime. :eek::D

11. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey fellas, don't get too excited about the warmer weather; when I use my A/C during 80+ degree temperatures, my 35-36 EV-only value drops as much as 2+ miles. It's the law of diminishing returns!

12. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I only use EV on my way to work for my commute. I very rarely use A/C at 5:30 AM, so bring on summer! HV in the afternoon is a different story (still can't charge up at work) :( If I can get to work (35.9 miles) with EV left, that will help. I did that once, 36.0 ;) at 68°.

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why are you obsessing over this ? I mean really ??

Do you normally drive in areas where it is 100 km or more between gas stations ??

NO......then just watch the gas gauge......and after the first time you actually DO that down to about a quarter of a tank, you will have established what the number IS.......assuming that you reset a trip ODO or note your mileage when starting out of course.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  14. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey Dad!
    Are there any charge stations "near" your work? It'd be cool; I tried that to go to my son's (42 years old, little boy) soccer game where a station was indicated about 2 miles away. I figured I'd go to the station and have the kid take me back to the game in his car. Problem was, station was locked up/inaccessible to general public. These ChargePoint guys have got to get their act together, to clarify station status. The idea is still worth trying; a variation on carpooling. Any way your company can be incentivized? Also, I frequently use 12 gauge heavy duty 25' extension cord at clients' or family homes I visit, where parking access is difficult.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the poster from the UK, the 11.5 US gallon tank on the US prime translates to just under 9.6 imperial gallons.
    The US uses some unique measurements.
    Does the UK Prime actually have a 15 gallon tank? That would be 18 US gallons!

Data Daedalus likes this.
  16. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The UK Prius Plug-In brochure actually does state, in the fine print, the Hybrid mode (charge sustaining) mileage as 83.1 mpg (combined cycle and Imperial gallons, of course). Mind you, I doubt you'd actually get that unless you're hypermiling, but that's because NEDC is a joke and inaccurate.

In any case, there's another way to get this number. European fuel consumption figures on PHEVs are a weighted composite of, I believe, the full charge depleting range, plus 25 km of charge sustaining range. Toyota's also advertising 39 miles (or about 63 km) of charge depleting range. So, we know that over 88 km, it got 282 miles per gallon, and we also know that all of that fuel was burned in 25 km. So, that's 0.1939 gallons per 25 km, or 80.1 mpg - considering the amount of error I'm working with here, that's not far off.

(To be completely pedantic, we don't know that all the fuel was used over 25 km, but for this car, I think we can safely assume that. They do two runs of the 11.023 km NEDC, one with a full battery, and one with a depleted battery. The Prime has enough power and range to not blend any ICE power on the charge depleting run.)

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To my fellow nose pickers, just to keep the record straight, Page 710 of my owner's Manuel (not Jose, Har, har), states that the gasoline tank capacity of the Prius Prime is 11.4 gals U.S., and 9.5 Imperial gals. ! No it ain't 15 gallons or 18 gallons or 11.5 gallons, blah, blah, blah!

19. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Simple. Just ask my uncle: My Plug-in Hybrid Calculator

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How is a US website going to explain what somebody in the UK is going to experience? There is a whole big world outside the US.