1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unable to align tires = new struts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greggsprius, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey there everyone, thanks for taking the time to help out.

I have a 2009 prius with 47k miles on it. Not driven hard just to school and back. Always maintain it well, oil changes tire rotations etc.. recently I purchased new tires and in an effort to save some money loaned my care to a friend who works at merlin who said he could align my tires for me.
    Here's where it gets sketchy. My friend said that everyone in the shop tried to align my tires and that they couldnt get them aligned because I need new struts. This strikes me as fishy since the car only has 47k miles on it and I wouldn't expect them to wear out so soon.

Thoughts and ideas or things I should check? Is this something that may still be under factory warranty?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i agree. take it to a tyre shoppe and see what they say, or the dealer. no you're not under warranty, but i doubt you need struts. have you owned it since new?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. why is this friend borrowing your car and getting you an alignment?
    2. does your friend need money? as in telling you he got you a free alignment and new shocks you paid for.........without doing anything.
    3. maybe he wrecked your car

4. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes that was the next step, we have an apt with toyota to get the struts checked thursday. the vehicle is used, bought it with less than 10k miles on it.

5. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. This friend owed me a favor. Helped him out big time with a vehicle purchase.
    2. It's possible, but unlikely that he would just try to pocket cash off of me.
    3. I brought the car to merlin and he test drove it for 3 miles. I'm pretty sure he didn't wreck it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose they could have damaged the struts. did you inspect them for leaks?

i don't even know what struts have to do with alignment.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm still confused why you needed an alignment. When you got your new tires, did they tell you your alignment was off? Did you have driving issues?

8. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was also browsing another thread

and wondered if this post applied as my vin starts with j

“Look at your VIN #, it starts with a "J" right? That means it's built in Japan. All Gen 2 Prius are built in Japan. That means it has Japanese struts and shocks from the factory. That means the struts and shocks are lifetime units. They typically NEVER need to be changed for the practical life of the vehicle.

Aftermarket shops that try to sellbrake calipers, struts, shocks,master cylinders, etc on "J" build vehicles are either ignorant or thieves. They will take off your lifetime front brake calipers or struts (sometimes they are still in warranty!!!) and put on their 60K to 90K garbage parts that WILL need to be replaced again and again. So they are ripping you off two or even three ways at once. 1. you didn't need it. 2. it's still in warranty. 3. they sell you a junk part. (this is just an example, your struts are out of warranty)

Case in point, my '91 Civic wagon, "J" vin. 285,000 miles, ORIGINALfront brake calipers, struts and shocks. Very possibly the same vendor as the Prius, maybe Tokiko.

cupping tire wear can be caused by alignment issues. If your strut boot is torn it's possible the car has been wrecked. Sort of unusual for the boot to be torn but not unheard of. It does not mean the strut is near failure either. The only thing that indicates failure on a Japanese strut is large fluid leakage (more than a seep).

Now when you start talking Japanese cars built in America it's a different story, then it becomes nuance with some of these parts being lifetime and some being earlier failure, it depends mostly on the vendor source.”

my bona-fides

all dealer tech career.

Datsun/Nissan 8 years
    Acura 1.5 years
    Honda 15 years mitsubishi 1.5 years
    Toyota 2 years.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no such thing as a lifetime strut/shock. Or brake pads, brake calipers for that matter

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've seen people replace them due to leaking oil as early as 60,000.

11. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes, alignment was off. even before new tires the car would veer to the right if you let go of the steering wheel. That's why I assumed an alignment was needed.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so where does the sketchy part come in? that you need a strut? that's not sketchy, that could be the cause of your alignment issue

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    struts fail. but if they're not damaged its not the strut throwing your alignment off. if the front alignment is out, there is an eccetric bolt kit you may need which allows the camber to be adjusted on cars like the prius which have no adjustment from the factory. your friend needs to give you a printout with specs for your alignment to see just what is out of spec and how much it's out. perhaps something is bent. a nasty pothole or a careless tow truck driver can damage the suspension, tie rods, etc.

get the printout and post it.

14. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sketchy part is that all 4 struts need to be replaced at 47k miles? on any other vehicle I have owned I haven't replaced them until 75k to 100k

15. Greggsprius

Greggsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I will do this. Thanks!

16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After my experience, I'm a firm believer in the strut manufacture's claim of changing out struts/shocks 5years/50,000 miles, to maintain optimum ride/handling characteristics. Struts also affect affect braking distance. Strut/shock deterioration is slow, and you get accustomed to it, not realizing the degradation; think frog soup (frog placed in cold water, heat on low to medium, doesn't know it is being cooked to death). If you had another Gen2 prius w/ new struts/shocks to compare the ride to, that would be one obvious way to tell the difference.

Read my experience w/ front and rear changeout.
    Front: post #48. Hints Regarding Replacement of 2G Front Struts | Page 3 | PriusChat
    Rear: post #3. Replaced Rear Shocks | PriusChat

Actually, Toyota offers Lifetime warranty on struts and shocks, when installed at a Toyota dealer. Now you are talking a boat load of money for labor, and a massive mark-up on parts, for that "lifetime" warranty on a part, which will require another boat load of dealer priced labor for a free part changeout, to maintain the lifetime warranty.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My meaning was, there is no strut that will last a lifetime....or a brake pad. But I get what you're saying in terms of lifetime parts warranty