Unable to charge at public stations (haven't tried chargepoint)

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Rebeccahs, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Skylis A

Skylis A Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Near or just above room temperature. I just drove mine home a few weeks ago, so when it cools down, I can charge faster methinks.

2. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Weird. It doesn’t sound like temperature is the issue then. I would try taking the plug out then plugging it back in. That old school troubleshooting advice does work for me sometimes.

3. Skylis A

Skylis A Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wait, I am confused. What issue do you think that I am having?

4. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Someone might have already mentioned this, but most public charge stations require an account of some sort for use (and a key card to wave in front of the charger). The SemaConnect stations we have at work are like this - they're free, but you still need a SemaConnect account (including a $10 deposit) and a card to start charging. I plug in, wave the card in front of the charger, and it comes on. Same for ChargePoint.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ChargePoint just updated their smartphone app so that if you have a phone with NFC, you can unlock the station by waving the phone in front of the reader on the charging station instead of using the ChargePoint card. You can still start charging using the app as before, but now you can just tap like Apple Pay or Android Pay without having to open the app first.

Team ChargePoint and mercat68 like this.
  6. ekelenie

ekelenie Junior Member

You are not alone - I am also having this issue! I just bought my prime a few weeks ago. We have free ChargePoint at the office. On any given day I can get some stations to work and others not. I get a variety of messages after plugging in, including "waiting for vehicle", "authorized for charging" and "charge complete" (!) Some stations work for me one day and not the next. I normally charge via a schedule at home and select "Charge Now" when at work. I'm going to try removing all scheduling to see if that helps. Still trying to figure it out and will report back if I figure it out.....

7. markabele

markabele Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Chargepoint notoriously has issues with many chargers. Some go unreported, but even the ones that get reported my understanding is that all Chargepoint does is let the station owner know about it. And the vast majority of those never do anything about it. One of the many reasons Tesla is so far ahead of the curve. Their charging infrastructure isn't in the same league as anyone else and it won't be for years and years...if not decades.

8. CraigM

CraigM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve used Blink and Shorepower commercial networks and some seem to take awhile to actually start charging, possibly as long as 30-45 seconds. Guess it takes awhile to check your membership status?

9. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How cold is it where you live? The battery has to be temperate before the system allows it to take a charge.

10. markabele

markabele Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ????? it has to be VERY extreme temp for that to be the case

11. Dale Leonard

Dale Leonard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I tried to use a charge station. Glad I had the wife a long. She had a charge card with a tap function. Worked great. My credit cards donot. Get a credit card with a tap function