1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unable to connect to vim techstream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by drewbabich, Feb 2, 2018.

1. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unable to connect to vim techstream error.

I plugged up to my OBD2 diagnostic port and plug the USB into my car and I am getting this message when the car is running or if I have it just on accessory power

I am not clear when I run techstream should I have the car running or not?

Do I need to update drivers or something so that my computer recognizes the USB plug could that be my issue?

I am connecting to the white OBD2 port near my right knee is that the correct location

2. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bump bump

Anyone running the xhorse vim software instead of the techstream vim software? I see a lot of info on xhorse on the internet but it's all people talking about it in 2015 at the latest. I also can't find where to download the xhorse software without loading all kinds of other spyware on it

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I followed this, and it works for me no problem, if followed to a T. Hopefully this has an answer to your question about drivers.

Techstream TIS VCI Installation Guide (64-bit OS) Including All Software Needed! - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

I have an updated version of Techstream on a Windows 7 laptop. Techstream is always a bit janky - sometimes requires a laptop reboot, restart of software and/or plug/unplug of cable. Definitely expect to wait at least 30 seconds for almost everything.

My process is:
    1. Connect USB cable to laptop
    2. Start laptop
    3. Start Techstream
    4. Start Car (Can also be in ACC ON, but get better results generally with car in Ready)
    5. Plug OBD to car
    6. Connect via Techstream

How the USB cable works basically is it has a USB to serial port converter in it. Sometimes when plugging/unplugging it gets a new serial port number. Might try looking in the Techstream software and see if re-selecting the right cable solves the problem.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please offer up where you're located (you can add your location under profile settings), maybe someone locally can help you o_O

Pretty sure there is only one ODB2 port, please let us know if you do find another.

What version of TS are you using?

What version of the OS are you running it on?

What type of OBD2 cable did you purchase? (mini-vci, open port 2.0, mongoose pro, denso, etc)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i was able to fix the unable to connect to vim error by copying a copy of the file from C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS\MVCI32.dll
    to C:\MVCI32.dll
    im running windows 10 x64 and was following jhood's post but it didnt work, only worked after copying the file

SFO likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which means the pointer in the registry is incorrectly directed to the root directory on the C: drive.

Go back and review the instructions that update (or add) entries to the registry. You may need to reboot after updating the registry, and make a backup copy before editing.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Varun Hknz

Varun Hknz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Guys I really need some support here. I ordered the MINI-VCI J2534 cable. It arrived with a small CD containing techstream V12.20.024

I have a Toyota Prius. Itech 2006 My PC is Windows 8.1 64 bit
    I followed the instructions from the CD and installed everything only to find. Unable to connect to vim techstream

After troubleshooting the error I found this page and followed steps in this post.
    Techstream TIS VCI Installation Guide (64-bit OS) Including All Software Needed! - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
    I made sure to uninstall techstream before proceeding with these steps in the link above.
    Also, The dropbox in the above link had everything except the MVCI driver for TOYOTA.msi. So I copied that file from my CD.
    - Toyota Techstream 8.00.034
    - Techstream_Update_V8.10.021
    - ***MVCI Driver for TOYOTA - was copied from CD
    - TIS KEY

I can't seem to go past this step below, which involves locating the two failing devices in device manager.
    1. Plug the MINI VCI cable to the USB port.
    2. Open the Device Manager and locate the two failing devices in the list. Both will appear with yellow icon (usually under “Other”), indicating that Windows failed to install drivers for them. Now, right click each failing device, select Install Driver, then “Browse my Computer…” and point it for "C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS" (enable the “include subfolders” flag). Click “Next” and wait until drivers are installed. .
    - Basically nothing happens when I plug in my MINIVCI device. I have a feeling this maybe because the driver was already installed earlier. Perhaps it did not get uninstalled with techstream V12. I understand they maybe two separate software. However I don't know how to uninstall the driver. I have already checked in 'uninstall programs'. It does not have anything called MINI VCI Driver or anything related to techstream. Is there any specific name of this driver

Can anyone please tell me how I can uninstall these drivers or what am i doing wrong here?

8. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Varun Hknz

Varun Hknz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi MLT_hihy

Thank you very much for this link.
    I want to point out a few things for everyone that has a 64bit computer with Windows 8.1

I followed both of these link to clearly install the Techstream 10.10.018. This version definitely works:
    Toyota Techstream J2534 clone Install on Win7 Win8 64bit | OBDII365.com Official Blog
    Download
    Dropbox - Techstream - Simplify your life

If you are having trouble following the instruction or missing any files you may also want to refer to this link below for clarification or additional downloads.

Firstly you need to stop windows from automatically installation the driver when you plug the MINI VCI cable to the USB port.
    Refer to the link below, if you don't know how to do this. .
    Prevent Windows 8.1 from automatically installing new drivers

If the drivers are already installed, please go to device manager and uninstall the below:
    "USB Serial Port (COM3)" in the "Ports" root menu AND "USB Serial Converter" in the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" root menu

Secondly, please note: "FirmwareUpdateTool.exe" will not work on Windows 8/8.1/10
    Skip this step, as this will not work.

Start Techstream from the Desktop shortcut. Chose your region, enter the deal information (you can enter anything). Go to Setup | VIM Select menu and select the “XHorse - MVCI”. Connect USB Interface cable to your car’s OBDII interface, turn ignition on, then click “Connect to Vehicle” in Techstream. It will take a few moments to connect and you can proceed with selecting your vehicle.

1. Connect USB cable to laptop
    2. Start laptop
    3. Start Techstream
    4. Start Car (Can also be in ACC ON, but get better results generally with car in Ready)
    5. Plug OBD to car
    6. Connect via Techstream

nancytheprius and MTL_hihy like this.
  10. Vsansg1

Vsansg1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After trying a few of these suggestions above, I realized that my "XHorse Electronics" folder had installed to "C:\Program Files"

Once I copied the folder to "C:\Program Files (x86)" I was able to open Techstream and connect to the VMI and proceed.

dolj and SFO like this.
  11. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TLDR: Follow the attached video's method and then change Com3 to Com5.

I was able to get Techstream working on a windows 10 64x computer following the attached video and your post, however, it is missing a vital piece of information.

I followed the video's instructions to a T and it still wouldn't work on a Windows 10 64x computer. I then spent the next two work days worth of time trying to get it to work. I tried a virtual windows 8.1 64x, 8.1 32x, and XP. I tried downloading different versions of tech-stream. I tried modifying and downloading different drivers. I tried not allowing windows to manually update drivers, and manually set them myself. Nothing. After reading forum post after forum post, I found that I had installed everything correct, but my computer always recognized my OBDII to USB cable as COM3 under ports, and that it needed to be COM5. Turns out (after trial and error), that this is very simple: Go to the Device Manager. Expand the Ports ‘(COM& LPT)’ Click your usb calbe port (COM3) Right click on the device and click on ‘Properties’. Click on ‘Port Settings’. Click on ‘Advanced…’. Once you’re in ‘Advanced Settings for COM3’ on the bottom you can see the ‘COM Port Number: COM3. Click on that to change it to COM5. Click ‘OK’ on all open Property Windows. You're all set.

I downloaded my techstream, setup and driver from here: https://mega.nz/file/CBUgSbRC#tunXG5nBe4lyBrjjjQGQL6-hiToanzEdUPuKrnoea1A It is the same file Valery uploaded in the video.

SFO likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's surprising. I guess I never looked at how the dongle identifies itself; I just assumed the driver looks for it by its USB product and device IDs.

Or does it just look like a generic FTDI serial adapter or the like, with an OBD chip hanging off the other end?

13. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FTDI serial adapter with OBDII on the other end

14. asiandrifter

asiandrifter New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I also followed Valery's video to a T and changed my COM3 to COM5. Unfortunately it still didn't work and I'm about to tear my hair out. I'm using a jugger mini J2534 VCI
    Anyone have any ideas as to why this isn't working?
    I'm on an old HP Pavilion Notebook with Windows 10.0.19042 x64

15. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    #metoo. Did you get it working? if so how?

16. Boilermaker1

Boilermaker1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wanted to add my data point on how I got it to work: My dad was having issues with his Prius and wanted me to help diagnose what could be wrong with it. Our trusted mechanic of over a decade had recently retired; another mechanic in town told us over the phone he doesn’t work on hybrids; and he didn’t want to take the car to our local Toyota dealer – I believe it’s give or take $100 for the diagnostics at the dealership if I remember correctly.

In order to diagnose the 2013 Toyota Prius, I used a Wi-Fi OBDII scanner that I had at my disposal that I had purchased for my Ford and Mazda. When I scanned the Prius with the BAFX OBDII scanner, CEL/code P261B had shown up. However, we read that we should take a closer look at this using something like Toyota’s TechStream system – the only catch to this is that you needed to purchase the correct cable to be able to plug into your computer and the car along with access to the software.

Toyota offers access to TechStream to the public; you can purchase a 2-day Professional license by going to TechStream’s website, registering, and following the steps there. I had ordered the Mini VCI J2534 cable off of Amazon.

Registering, paying, accessing TechStream, downloading, and installing the TechStream software was not a problem. I paid roughly, I think, ~$65 for 2-day access. The problem came when I tried to use the dongle purchased off of Amazon. It just would not work when I connected the cable between the car and my Windows 10 Home 64-bit computer. I tried diagnosing this by reading and scouring through PriusChat and other online sites; many suggestions were to use Windows XP, switch to 32-bit Windows XP or Windows 7, XHorse Electronics drivers needed to be updated, and a lot of other things. I tried most of it (copying XHorse Electronics, registry edit, COM3 to COM5, etc.) – I followed this PriusChat thread (Unable to connect to vim techstream | PriusChat), another thread I cannot find the link to, and this YouTube video (
    ) on what to do. However, I would still get the “Cannot Connect to VIM” dialog. I spent 3 hours trying to figure this out after work in our freezing garage and gave up as it was around 9 PM ET.

The next day, I thought about what I needed to do even though it was a fairly busy day at work. I was researching on my phone at lunch and reading some other forum threads in between meetings. Got back home and continued researching “Techstream cannot connect to VIM” and then one YouTube video popped up. This person recommended to copy a driver file to a different directory and that it had worked for him. I thought this must be a coincidence but tried it and it worked – here’s a link to that video (
    ).

I am not sure how this all works, truthfully, but moving one driver file did the trick for me and I was able to successfully connect my Windows 10 64-bit computer with the Prius using the cable I purchased from Amazon to read the CEL and some other codes that we wanted to assess that seem to all be related to each other (P261B, P148F, P0A0F, C1259, C1310, B1503).

mr_guy_mann and SFO like this.