1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unable to remove reverse light bulb - factory issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LulzChicken, Feb 26, 2020.

1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

<Pics Below>

I'm trying to performing a seemingly simple task - replace the reverse light bulb on my 2010 Prius II. I watched a few videos beforehand and it seemed very simple: take off the cover, turn the bulb and it releases.

Mine won't do that at all because the wire for the bulb is on the top of the bulb and is VERY taught/short/tight - so much that I have no way to remove the light bulb. Not enough slack.

In videos and guides (I will post below) you can see their wire has much more slack and is coming from the bottom, not the top like mine.

As far as I know my 2010 is one of the first ones produced as I had to order it - maybe someone messed up manufacturing it. Does anyone know how I can get this dang thing out?!

PS: The turn signal bulb comes out just fine. Marks on the wire and sticky residue is from where I tried to get slack from the wire but no luck.

Thanks PC Community!

Guides:
    Toyota Prius Tail Light Bulbs Replacement Guide - Rear Turn Signal & Reverse Lamps - 2010 To 2015 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Guide

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have seen this before too many times.

The wire is pinched in between the gasket and taillight. Best bet is to remove the taillight to ease the tension of the wire.

iPhone ?

Montgomery and PriusCamper like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I was just going to suggest removing the whole assembly from the car just this once to see what went wrong in the routing of the wires. You can probably correct that and put it back so you don't have to repeat the process next time.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess I could also cut the wire and extend it to provide more slack. The most intrusive option. I’ll see about removing the housing to take a look. It’s like this on both sides of the car too.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Should be plenty of length in the wiring; light just got slapped in with the wire misrouted somehow, I'd say.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Kyosha

Kyosha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Apologies on the thread bump, but I have the same issue with my 2010. What did you do to get yours out? I really don’t want to go through the trouble of removing the assembly unless I absolutely need to.

Appreciate the help in advance!

7. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just pulled on the actual wire (not the bulb housing) and it came out and gave me some length to work with. I didn't pull the bulb housing because I didn't want the wire to come out of the connector.

Kyosha and Montgomery like this.
  8. Kyosha

Kyosha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    PriusHead05 likes this.