1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

unable to start in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by prince, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    HV battery good, 12v bad or on verge of reaching its end life. It's that time of the year that it gets significantly colder, any battery that's near it's life's end will suddenly stop working w/o any symptoms. I work with government employees and there's a few co-workers are going through the 'my battery worked all this time, why now?' Jumping vehicle successfully wouldn't necessarily say 12v is all fine from there on out. If in a couple of weeks, the car doesn't start or the prius starts to act up electronically or MPG-wise, get it tested at automotive shop. If they're too chicken to run a test while still installed in the prius, take out the 12v battery and have it to them to test it.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a built-in feature that you simply didn't notice before. Pull out the Owner's Manual, and look in the index for Touch Tracer Display.

This has no connection to the condition of your various batteries.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've replaced my batteries. Watched the youtube proving it can be done in 5 minutes! First time took 40 minutes, second 20.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This reminds me of driving via navigation, somehow. And believe me, I've been there, lol.

There's something about relying on YouTube videos for everything, that starts to erode away at your deductive reasoning, maybe. OTOH, if you are completely stumped, they can be indispensable, save your bacon.

But this assumption that you CAN'T muddle through something, something relatively mundane, until someone (just like you) has posted a YouTube video showing how to do it? Not true.

kc410 likes this.
  5. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much for the feedback everyone, I just took it to the dealership to find out what's going on with the battery since Auto Zone was too afraid to touch it. They said it was fine and showed me the report:
    IMG_20171101_125339.jpg

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, it's saying "good and recharge", and battery voltage is 12.27 volts? That very low. Rated cranking amps 330 sounds about right (that's one elusive statistic btw), and 359 measured cranking amps sounds good. That date is a little odd, guess they never set it?

At this juncture? Invest in a 4 amp range smart charger?

Raytheeagle and kenoarto like this.
  7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get a new battery. Dealer battery testing is often, notoriously wrong. FYI: The better way to test is using the on-board electronics, after a full night's rest:
    1. Foot off Brake Pedal
    2. Push POWER Button twice
    3. Hold in INFO button on right of NAV display while doing next step.
    4. Turn Headlights On and Off three times. - Menu comes up.
    5. Press "Function Check/Settings" on NAV display.
    6. Press "Vehicle Signal" on NAV display.
    Battery Voltage is displayed
    7. Turned on headlights and it adjusted. Turn off headlights.
    8. Place Foot on Brake Pedal and Press POWER button turning on the car. New reading.
    9.. Press POWER button to turn off car.

#27 kenoarto, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  8. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What should the voltage be?

What does 330 cranking amps mean? As well as the measured? And why exclusive? (apologies ahead for the n00b questions)

Yea they're a pretty new dealership, they haven't even been able to get connected to the Toyota Owners website to drop in my latest service items yet from two weeks ago.

Which 4 amp range smart chargers do you recommend?

9. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's what I'm thinking, either the charger or the battery. If a really good deal for a battery comes up on Black Friday I may jump on it. It doesn't seem as serious now based on the initial dealer test even if wrong. The battery seems fine too, I am thinking now that it may just have been the cold and 3 nights airport parking so I can buy myself a bit more time to get a really good deal.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would expect a semi-neglected but decent shape battery to be above 12.5 volts, and an in-the-pink, regularly coddled with charging session (or just driven a lot) battery to be between 12.7 and 12.8.

Cranking amps (and Cold Cranking Amps) are benchmark measures, which indicate, beyond the raw voltage of the battery, the potential or capacity of the battery. They're commonly used to assess the "health" of the battery, and the crux of a load-test.

I'm using a CTEK 4.3, and also have an older 3.3. The newer has a few more bells and whistles, I believe both are still available, and the 3.3 is cheaper I'm sure.

The grey area in your case is the age/condition of your battery. I would suspect it's getting on, has one or more drainings followed by jumpstarts. Hard to say. Investing in a charger and giving it a go first doesn't hurt, and a decent charger will be useful for years to come.

At the least also consider getting a digital multimeter, so you can at least monitor the at-rest voltage.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Suggest you do a search here and read up on "test 12v battery".

Grit likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    google "the 12 volt side of life". Good site on basics.

prince likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As you now know...You have a 12 volt battery, and a HV battery.

If it was me? I wouldn't pass go, I'd just get a new 12 volt as soon as possible. It's already failed once, albeit after a stay in the airport. BUT, it's is indicative of approaching end of life.

You can mess around with testing it, or gamble with extending life, but IMO...it gave you a "nice" warning that it's about time to replace it.
    That's what I would do.

kenoarto and jerrymildred like this.
  14. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have been flip flopping back n forth but I think you are right, better to take care of it now instead of waiting any longer.

I talked to Toyota again and this time they are offering the Toyota True Start one from YUASA with the 84 month warranty. $210 for the battery, $35 for install so with everything out the door is about $260. The only other I was thinking about is the optima yellow top but with that 84 months it may be serve me just fine since the original did so well.

The Electric Me and kenoarto like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  16. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My fault, did not lay it out correctly, it's actually $210 + $35 + taxes = $260 walk out the door.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To chime in: your 12v battery was poorly diagnosed by the dealer. Unless you find it entertaining to plug it in and charge it every day AND you actually enjoy being stranded waiting for jump starts in the winter AND after six years and a complete discharge ... the time to replace it now. Important info: your car info screen tells you the State Of Charge (SOC) on the large HV battery ($3000). It does not tell you the state of charge on your small 12v battery ($250) which is the cause of your starting problem. Please post the results of the specific 12v testing that was posted earlier. FYI: I can often find a 10-15%off coupon from my local dealers, but don't wait for a Black Friday coupon, it just doesn't happen.

18. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're right, and I do have a 10% off thing so it would actually be $234 walk out the door.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not unreasonable for the Toyota battery, especially installed.

kenoarto, prince and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for all the extremely helpful information everyone. I went ahead and had it replaced with the Toyota True Start (GS YUASA), walk out $236 actually.