1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

unable to stream music from iphone via bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rded, Jul 6, 2011.

1. rded

rded New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I have a 2011 Prius 3 but no NAV system. My iphone has already been paired to the JBL hands-free system, I can make and accept calls but unable steam to music from my iphone 3G to the car's stereo system. The weird thing is that when I am talking on the phone via hands free and try to play the ipod, the music takes over the voice chat:eek: :confused: Did I miss something when setting up the iphone and hands-free system? Thanks.

2. kklin

kklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also have a 2011 Prius 3 with no NAV system. I don't think you can do music streaming. If you can do it, please let me know :>

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat.:welcome:

I have a Prius III. Based on reading other PC threads, you can't stream iPhone music via bluetooth. I connect my iPod nano to the sliding console's aux input using a stereo to stereo wire. This plays my music great through the radio's aux mode, though I have to turn up the volume a bit more. My music cuts out during a bluetooth phone call.

This is probably not quite the same situation as yours, but hope it helps.

4. TonyK51

TonyK51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is strange. We have a 2011 Prius IV and I've streamed music from my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth without issue. Just went to Setup > Audio (IIRC) and selected my iPhone as a BT device.

5. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

It's because you have a IV with navigation. Unfortunately with the III non-nav, you do not have the ability to stream music via bluetooth, only voice calls.

6. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's right. The Bluetooth in the non-Nav Gen3 Prii is much more limited and can only handle phone calls. I use the aux-in with a cable for music. The cable allows me to charge my phone at the same time, something you cannot do with Bluetooth.

7. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure about that? If I'm not mistaken the aux-in is strictly an audio 3.5 headphone jack signal feed, not a power source to charge the phone but rather an input for the audio signal to your HU. Now the optional USB version of this setup should be able to charge your phone but it is only available with certain navigation units or as an add-on, not available with the non-nav units.

Just for clarification, I'm sure you will agree with me that you can still charge your phone and stream music/voice calls via bluetooth at the same time.

8. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 3 with Nav, and was using my iPhone 3G for calls and streaming BT music. Got a new iPhone 4 this weekend, the calls are fine, but I can't get it to connect for streaming music. I've tried connecting it, forgetting the connection, deleting the phone any number of times... still no luck :(

9. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a 12v jack right next to the aux-in. I have a cable which on one end has the iphone dock connector and on the other end has a 3.5mm plug and a USB plug for charging. The USB plug goes into a USB car charger, plugged into that 12v jack.

My point was that if you're already going to the trouble of plugging in your phone, why not also use the cable for audio?

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fixed it. My phone and the audio system had 2 different pairing codes. Made them the same, and all was right.

I wonder if it was caused by the new Nav 10.1 DVD...

11. Carzone

Carzone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's very cheap to limit the bluetooth music steaming function on Non-Navi prius.
    Non-Navi 2010 Sienna has bluetooth music steaming function, because it has a new stereo system (support A2DP stereo Bluetooth profile).

But it is also easy to fix that. Buy a Blackberry Music Gateway ($69), connect the BMG to AUX, pair the iphone with BMG and toyota bluetooth system separately. Then you get the hand-free phone and bluetooth music steaming at the same time.

12. Carzone

Carzone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  13. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How do you change pairing modes? I have sold iphones for 4 years and paired them to a ton of priuses and can't get mine to. it does calls just fine but won't stream. Car says it can't find a portable audio device. What am I missing? (2010 V, Nav, ATP. Iphone 4, 4.2.1, jailbroken)

My other question, more-so regarding calls, is when I hold the home key and call someone, the phone says calling so-and-so, and the iphone shows connected to prius, then the car ends the call, and the screen on the phone goes black. everytime. Can someone try it out or see what I'm doing wrong? Calls initiated from the navi screen work great. Just when I call someone not in my phonebook or don't want to scroll through the pain-in-the-butt contact book in the car. Thanks in advance.

14. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys - bluetooth consists of about 19 different communication 'profiles' or ways for two devices to communicate with each other. You CAN NOT assume that if your device like an iPhone (I have an iPhone 4) can communicate with multiple profiles, that the entity (i.e., Prius) on the other can as well. The most well known, popular profile is hands free phone or HFP. That is the method a phone uses to communicate with another device which has a microphone and speakers so that they can be used instead of those on the phone. That is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from a second well known and uses profile called "A2DP" which we commonly refer to a Bluetooth Audio. This allows you to stream stereo audio via bluetooth from your device to the speakers on the car. The car needs to support this profile for that to work and my understanding is that most (or is it all) Prius's do HFP but you need to have added the navigation system to get a A2DP profile (via Toyota). That is one of the reasons I purchased the NAV system (which I believe I also needed for the moonroof with solar panel).

Now if your car has a mini-plug jack or USB connection you will probably be able to play your music as well though this is NOT bluetooth audio. The jack merely works the same way as a headphone connected to it would work. A USB connection (which I believe also requires the NAV system), makes your player (or flash drive / hard disk) act like a drive to the audio system and has some restrictions (such as 255 files / folder max, will always start from the beginning when inserted, can not advance a screen at a time over 10 mph, and most importantly will play in the physical order the files are written to the playing device which is NOT sort order unless you uses a utility to physically sort it first - I use the free Drivesort).

Hope this helps explain the options and restrictions somewhat.

P.S. - On an iPhone 4 or 4s with iOS 5.0.x, the ID tags will display on the Prius screen. Apps other than the Apple "Music" app will also support the speakers. For example, GPS apps like Garmin use A2DP, radio apps like Pandora (internet radio) and TuneIn and iHeartRadio (live real stations) support A2DP. Skype supports HFP.

P.P.S. - sometimes the prius forgets about the iPhone / bluetooth device and has to be re-paired. To pair the devices put them both into 'discovery' mode and in most cases use "0000" for the pairing code.

P.P.P.S. - if you are in a city that has a highway traffic management system (like Houston) and the maps indicate car speeds, they way they figure out the speeds is there are road sensors that look for bluetooth devices in your car. They pick up the ID and encrypt it. When you get to the next sensor, they do it again and encrypt. When they match the encrypted IDs, they can figure out how fast you were going "anonymously" (or so they claim).

1 person likes this.
  15. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good info. Thanks. Didn't know the speed in traffic thing. I figured it out. I unpaired the "portable music player" and the phone remained paired for talking. I then paired it again after deleting or "forgetting" the car from the phone, and readded the phone, but not from the add a phone option in the car but from the add a portable music player option and paired it like normal. Now works great, buttons and all. Still does calls too. Hope that helps someone.

16. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    EDIT: I figured out what I did wrong. No need to reply to this.

Hello. I just bought my new 2011 Toyota Prius today. It is a Package #3 with the navigation system. I also have an iPhone 4 (not 4s), with iOS 5.0.1 (9A405)...which, at the time, is the most up-to-date version. I have successfully paired my iPhone 4 with the Bluetooth in my car, and I've even transferred my telephone contacts to the phone book on-screen. I tried to also pair my Bluetooth audio using the same code I manually entered in when I paired my phone, and on my iPhone, it just appears that the Bluetooth connection isn't connected any more, and my car just tries to find the Bluetooth again. If I cancel out of the pairing screen on the car, then the iPhone says it's connected again so I can use the phone part of my Bluetooth connection. Any ideas?

17. JasonB

JasonB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did the update on my iPod touch last week and just noticed that Album, Artist and Song is now displayed on the navigation screen. It didn't do that before; just a pause/play button. WooHoo!