1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unauthorized Warranty Work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, Feb 11, 2015.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought there were different classifications for recalls.

One's that are offered as being optional, and those that are presented as being intrinsic to the safe operation of the car to the point where the recall is presented as being mandatory.

If the recall is NOT optional, I wouldn't fault in the least a dealership for executing the recall when the car is in their service.

And in any case, I wouldn't expect a 3rd party...such as "The Police" to be working to impound vehicles. That's simply not the reality of what we are discussing.

I'm actually defending your position. I think IF the recall is optional...then the choice should be yours as owner.

#41 The Electric Me, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back in the days, you couldn't register your vehicle if there was an outstanding recall.

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree on principle with the OP. It's his car. If the work was unauthorized by him, it should not have been performed. Period. End of story.

Personally, I'd be a miffed, or perhaps slightly perturbed, but I wouldn't be as pissed off as the OP. But that's his prerogative.

If I felt mishandled, deceived or disrespected by the dealership, I'd take my business elsewhere. And perhaps, I'd report their actions to Toyota corporate. I have a feeling he will get little sympathy from corporate unless they felt this particular dealer was scamming THEM for service that was unauthorized. Otherwise, they'd probably feel that the OP got something for nothing - and Toyota probably thinks they know better than the common customer anyway.

But, as a general rule, I try to avoid stealerships altogether.

4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Imagine how miffed was dude who woke up to find out they amputated wrong leg.

Silver bullit likes this.
  5. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exceptionally miffed, I presume.

"My freakin' leg's miffing!"

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My general impression of Toyota offers to foot the bill for modifications/repairs to an owner's car seem to fall into two categories:
    1. Recalls, where Toyota is saying "we think you should have this done, whether you are having problems or not; and
    2. Technical Service Bulletins, where Toyota is saying "if you have a problem, bring the car in and we will fix it for you.
    In both cases, Toyota foots the bill. Presumably Toyota has given its dealerships pre-authorization to fix recalls. I'm not sure about TSBs; that may be by specific bulletin. To be clear though, neither Toyota (and certainly not a dealership) can mandate a mod or a repair. Heck, I don't think even the guvmint mandates mods or repairs. The closest the guvmint gets is to refuse to certify the car as road-worthy.

Disclaimer: my children are vaccinated.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TSBs are not free. Free only if your car is under 36k warranty period.

#47 JC91006, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015