1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uncomfortable front seats

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by larswest, Jan 16, 2016.

1. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jelly said he has the Four.

RCO likes this.
  2. DonJuan1943

DonJuan1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in agreement with the "uncomfortableness" of the 2016 Prius driver's seat. I am mid seventies, still have all my original body parts, teeth, some of my own hair; and I have the age-appropriate medium frame and "grandpa gut". I have been a small car guy; '09 Corolla, '10 Prius, '13 Prius; and now '16 Prius III. The seats in the earlier Toyotas were comfortable. The seat in the 16 is not. Period.

LauraOP and Spindifferent like this.
  3. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing I don't like is that the bit of the door with all the window/mirror controls jams into my thigh. The only way to avoid this is to stretch my leg out but on a long drive sometimes you want to move it around a bit!

4. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have found that by extending the steering column and running the seat back a bit, I have almost no inclination to contact either the console or control armrest when I am driving. This position is further back than I typically used for other cars, but it makes the Prius more comfortable for my 3-4 hour drives. An additional benefit is that the seat belt no longer puts any pressure at all on my neck and shoulder. I am 6' tall with 32" inseam, heavy set. I find the 4 Touring seats quite comfortable and this extended seating position conducive to long distance driving.

greenmonster01 and RCO like this.
  5. BLITZ XW50

BLITZ XW50 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed on the Toyota Japan website that the dealer has an option for a seat cushion. Would be nice if they offered it here. When i inquired for price it (with shipping) came close to $500 :confused:. Japan i'd assume $200 cheaper since no shipping would be needed, still an option they never gave us here in the U.S that I think would have helped with seat comfort.
    [​IMG]

unus_mundus likes this.
  6. unus_mundus

unus_mundus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have tested 4 or 5 cushioning system in order to prevent my left leg pain without success. Just insane. The only thing that help me is to incline the seat backrest strongly. It reduce the pain. But I am now looking for others cars to switch asap.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

7. CEnsalata

CEnsalata New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drove mine yesterday for 3+ hours round trip. It gave me terrible tailbone pain no matter how I adjusted the seats, and believe me, I tried every which way. I had had the pain earlier in the week and didn't know why, but now I do. I also had weird sciatica-like pain on the left side. I am only 30 and otherwise fit, so this is frustrating. I will get a third-party seat cushion and see if that can help.

unus_mundus and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. unus_mundus

unus_mundus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing works for me. This week I finally sold the car - because I just can't get use to it. I m only 40 but 1m92. Left leg like you. I didn't know what was really happening. My left hip maybye or nerve in my back. It is quite frustrating. But even if you don't know whats happened it happens... and I have to find a solution.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

9. bigmichaelkim

bigmichaelkim Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am sorry to hear that these seats are so uncomfortable for you. I had some issues as well with my back after long hours of driving for a ride share platform I won't mention which one. But just the other day I purchased a memory foam lumbar support from a company called love home from amazon? And this thing helped me out a ton and honest to God truth my back still did not hurt after driving for nearly 12 hours on a money making odyssey. The only thing that kind of ached was my legs after driving for so long but I guess that's normal and my conscience for driving Angela through so many miles. BTW this is by no means a paid endorsement lol it is just so that you can rediscover your love for an otherwise great car. I just love my car! Sorry for the cheese.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  10. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I pulled the steering column down and back, and it seems to help a bit on my daily commute.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  11. Rick12Player

Rick12Player Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just traded in my 2008 base model Prius for a 2016 Three Touring (or "3 Touring" for those using the search function) a month ago. The seat is extremely uncomfortable. I'm having severe back and left thigh pain. I had to go to the chiropractor this week for the first time since my only batch of visits to one five years ago. I'm seriously concerned, because I'm otherwise happy with the car. But I kinda wish I had kept my '08 and just maintained the hell out of it forever. I know you can't return a car like you can many consumer products, but surely there is some kind of implied warranty that it won't INJURE you, right?

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trim Two is uncomfortable too. Do you have the Softex seats or the cloth ones?
    I suspect they improved the Softex ones since Toyota made a big point referring to improved seats in Gen 4 Prius.

13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, they're not perfect, but keep adjusting - height, angle, steering, lumbar adjustment. I finally found a position which works for me reasonably. I put on sheepskin seat covers which improved the comfort too.

And write to TOYOTA and let them know it's not good. Maybe if we all did that, they might look at improving at least the next version. TOYOTA have actually made some reasonably good seats over the years, just PRIUS isn't one of them.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you have a higher trim level, though. The low trim level is not good.

15. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was in MY16 Prius Level 4 for over 40 hours during the x-mas driving . one drive was 1,100 miles at one shot.. over 20 hours ... My 56 year old frame did not have any issue with the driver seat. BUT, each to their own.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a Trim 4 with the Softex seats. They were supposedly improved for comfort.

17. first_superior_prius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No complaints for me either, they are great seats IMO. I have the 2 Eco

In fact they were far better than the Honda seats in the cars I test drove

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find issues especially in long (300+ mile) trips.

19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Butt, each to their own eh? :ROFLMAO:

pjm877, krmcg and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been meaning to post this for a week, but keep on forgetting...

I don't know if the seat has "broken in", or if it's the new trick I've been doing, but the seat is better now.

When I get in the seat, I "scooch over" towards the middle, and it feels like I'm centered better. Much more comfortable.

So, if the seats are bothering you, try not only adjusting the seat, but also adjust the steering wheel and your seating position.

RCO likes this.