1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Undeleting the spare tire from a 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lohikaarme, Oct 11, 2016.

1. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I tried to cut the foam to allow me to fit the spare tire I saved from my gen3 but it didnt work out so well. It looked like a mess and the spare tire is actually thicker than the foam so the floorboard did not balance. There is a lip in the trunk and the floorboard does not meet the rear seats when folded nor does it meet the back of the car where the hatch latch is. I suspect that the correct foam will push the floorboard up to be in line with everything as it sits around and over the tire.

I ordered all 3 components of foam. When I bought the car I allotted some cash to modifications I was definitely going to do.

The list is as follows

64993-47090
    64997-47040
    64995-47030

I will report in when I know if this is going to work or now. I cannot imagine the car is different in there from a version with a spare once these parts are added. Will it fit around an oem gen3 tire, that is another question.

PtPri and bisco like this.
  2. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ok this is getting really costly but of all the modifications, having a spare and adding it correctly is probably the most mission critical change I can make. I do not want to risk it with a repair kit and I want it all to fit the way it was meant to- This might be the ultimate post on this as I got $4k off msrp and an additional $2.5K in my tradein over KBB I knew I was going to lay out some money and do this come hell or high water- So I will be the test subject.

It is way more parts than the 3 foam pieces
    (ordered was ~$500 w/shipping)
    64993-47090
    64997-47040
    64995-47030

Taking the spare out of the equation I am estimating that the online discounted oem price all together will be about $1200

Additional parts that I believe complete the list:

58415-47110-C2 the floorboard
    (not currently ordered, ~$200 with an additional ~$100 shipping estimate, list price from dealer is $300- not mission critical yet. I will get this but will hunt around)

(ordered was ~$450 w/shipping)
    64730-47240-C2 trunk wall liner
    64740-47250-C0 trunk wall liner
    51962-47020 the foam retainer clips (x2)
    64716-47130-C0 the plastic piece along the lip of the trunk floor
    64718-47080-C0 the plastic cover around the trunk latch (plugs into piece above)
    81330-58010 the lamp assembly in the trunk wall liner
    58338-47010 bracket (this will be interesting the diagrams all show only needing one side for this and no bracket for the other side, might me missing other side in this list)

Believe it or not, ALL these parts have a different part number for non-spare. I am rather surprised from a supply chain point of view that Toyota would do this.

#2 lohikaarme, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  3. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Theory on what is going on here:

So by adding the spare and the foam, it is going to raise the floor of the trunk to be in line with the trunk lip (in other words there will not be a lip going into the trunk). It is kind of stupid that prius without tire has a drop in the trunk, with tire is level and in the case of the prime is sticking up a few inches but anyway- So my theory is that this will level out the trunk floor. Essentially the lining of the trunk is molded to support a lower level so there might be gaps or fitment issues along the walls because the foam will come up higher. Around the latch area, while there is a drop molded into the trim now, there is also a lip at the very bottom that is under the floor board. I suspect that this lip will now interfere with the new foam and hence a new piece is needed.

Finally, the seats are angled back the higher up the trunk you go. The floor will be in line with the trunk lip so that is a few inches higher. As a result, the floor board will have less distance getting to the back of the seats. I believe this is the cause of the pressure against the seats some other members have detected. The new floor board will be shorter to fit against the seats and probably a bit wider as the higher up you go the wider the trunk gets side to side.

After really examining the trunk area, this is my best guess at what is going on in there. I can envision how it all fits together and that is why I think I am boxed into getting all these parts if I want it all to work the correct way.

PtPri and bisco like this.
  4. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    PtPri and Robert Holt like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is this costing? $1200 plus the cost of the spare? Oy vey!

6. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Looks like it could shape up to that
    Cutting the foam is a much cheaper alternative i guess. Its all about how far do you want to go. Its a range of just throwing a spare in the back to all out oem fitment.

I was expecting to spend $1000, i told the dealer flat out i had to add $1000 to whatever price he threw at me and actually used it as a bagin point. Its why he let me keep my spare and told me he raised the value of my trade in on the second pass. The high ticket items are really the foam nearly half the cost of this... The wall lining ~$140 a side and the floor piece ~$200 the rest are small odds and ends that add up quickly

#6 lohikaarme, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I could see this coming, $100's for formed styrofoam. o_O

The only thing that'd wake Toyota USA up would be a consumer rejection of levels four and four touring.

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The lip on the rear trim doesn't interfere with the new foam, it's just for the floor piece to sit on so things don't drop down there. This doesn't happen with the old floor piece in situ as the back edge of the floor is held tight against the rear by the angle of the rear seats being further back at the newly raised 2" higher point of the floor. There are however now gaps at the sides of the floor where the existing side trim pieces are, due to the slight difference in shape higher up.

RCO likes this.
  9. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    How big are the gaps on the side of the floor board? This confirms my theory that the spare tire floorboard would be wider but shorter. I placed an order for everything and it was rejected saying the parts have been discontinued. The foam is still on the way and will arrive on Monday. I did place an order for the new floor board ($230) hopefully to close the gaps but I have not been told if it is going to be discontinued too or not. I suspect the first place just did not want to risk selling me everything without a vin.

The trunk liners are different, or at least they are a different part number. There are the black plastic\felt panels that are on the sides of the trunk. Because of this, even with the right floor board there might be fitment issues.

On a side note I am getting so sick of people asking for vins I grabbed a vin off a dealer website for a 3- the spares were just not included on the 4, 4 touring or eco 2

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great thread, thanks!(y)

11. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    warning!! error in part numbers!

The correct part numbers are:

64993-47090
    64995-47040
    64997-47050

PtPri likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is totally counterproductive comment, sorry, but man: I would just stick with levels that include the spare. To pay extra for a premium level, and then get into this, all the hassle and expense? One upside too: if people shun levels without spare, Toyota will wake up.

RCO likes this.
  13. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It is a pain in the nice person but we all know Toyota wont suddenly start selling them with spares. They will argue that they sold the Prius plugin for years without a spare and no problem found. The tricky thing here is that there is foam for no spare, foam for a compact spare and foam for a fullsize spare. Each version raises the trunk to different level too.... Really hard to figure out what to get in the end. I want the compact spare foam so 64993-47090 is the right part number for the circle center piece.

for the left and right side, the guy at the Toyota dealership told me it is:
    64995-47040
    64997-47050

I ordered them directly from the dealership in case there is an issue. One is $139 and one is $156 The center is about $260 but I got that online for $185 w/ $20 shipping. I will have the new foam in about 4 days.

pjm877 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I missed this thread but, I am glad I found it! I was considering the Prius 4 because of the safety package that is not available on the 2 or 3. I wish you the best with the modification. If a good retrofit package can be developed, the Prius 4 will be back on my radar... but for now I guess I will have to stick with the Prius 3.

15. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I will take pictures when this is done. I negotiated keeping the gen3 spare and then it is just a matter of the foam. You might be able to negotiate! There are certain times of the year dealers really really want to sell. I am slightly surprised no one posted pictures to date. No matter, i will do it all including with the updated floor as soon as i get it all.

16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many times did you use the spare in your last Prius?

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Twice in the Prius+ and didn't use it in the Gen 3. But in my youth I was stuck at the side of the road for 3 hours due to not having a spare tyre and vowed never to be in that situation again. A spare can be instantly fitted, the gunk takes a lot of messing around with and is no good if the tyre won't seal, such as if it's split or cut on road debris etc. It's like when you buy a spare key in case you lose one, you never lose one, but sod's law if you only have one key you'll lose it.

RCO likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think they would do what needs doing, if and (sadly) only if the issue starts costing them. If, for example:

1. Potential customers say they'll buy a level without spare, but only if they can get one properly retrofitted.

2. Customers eschew models without spare; they languish on lots.

3. Both of the above in big numbers.

I doubt it'll happen, just postulating.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    RCO and kithmo like this.
  19. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I remember my father throwing the same fit about compact spare tires. The spare's days are numbered. Within 5 years the pump and goop will be the norm, if it isn't already.

tucatz likes this.
  20. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Is the gunk kit some sort of solution by Toyota to bring down the emissions by a jot to conform to some standard or other ?
    It would be interesting to see some figures to compare the gunk kit cars with the spare wheel cars of the same spec. Unfortunately I don't do the kind of mileage to create these figures, I've had the car almost 7 months and only done 2116 miles. Has anybody else with a gunk kit originally, had a spare wheel in their trunk long enough to see any change in mpg figures ?