1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Undeleting the spare tire from a 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lohikaarme, Oct 11, 2016.

1. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    a ballpark guestimate is 100 lbs is good for about 2% of your mpg. It's a bit of a stretch to think that the spare tire and tool kit weighs 100 lbs over the pump and gunk, but there you go.... no more than 2% would be my official guess for the mpg change you could see by removing the spare tire.

With raising CAFE standards, every little bit carries a nice price tag for Toyota.

EDIT: I should specify that I think Toyota is probably in a very good position as far as meeting the CAFE standards. But they get credits for meeting it and other makers like Dodge must buy credits from Toyota or pay fines when they don't meet the standard.

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I rather think run-flats will be the norm as the gunk kit is too messy for the average driver, or maybe puncture proof or even self inflating tyres.
    I remember seeing a goo for sale, on one of the shopping channels on TV, that you put into your tyre before you got a puncture and if the tyre was penetrated, the goo came out into the hole and sealed it automatically. Basically you didn't even know you had a puncture (or several) unless you checked your tyres regularly. A good idea but a little dangerous on a long journey as the tyre could have deflated slightly before the goo sealed it, leaving you driving with an underinflated tyre.

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Without weighing it, I'd guess the temporary spare weighs less than 40 lbs or I would be struggling to lift it out of the trunk, the tools are the same, jack wheel brace etc. in either setup and I'd guess the pump and goo together could weigh 15 lbs or so. so the difference in weight, by my estimates is only about 25 lbs max, 0.5 mpg by your calcs.

4. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Run flats have seem to really fallen out of favor. I believe this is due to the poor ride and handling that they provide.

CTIS are neat, I'd love one, but they have proven to be unreliable so far. My friends with Hummers say it's not worth messing with. I believe that's a dana system, Spicer has one and so does Sygon and maybe they're better. But so far it doesn't seem to be reliable technology. I think you'll see it given a long enough time table, but in the short term I don't think so.

In terms of the gunk being messy, the one time I've used the system there was no mess, no fuss. It was very straight forward and easy to use. It was probably less of a mess than jacking the car, and wrestling with the tire. Just grab pump, plug it in, put it on the valve stem and turn it on.

kithmo likes this.
  5. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so 0.5% of your mpg, according to fuelly I've been doing 57 mpg (not great I know) so it's 0.285 mpg by my rough math and assumptions. Or about 13 gallons of gas over 150,000 miles.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Agreed, I've never used one, I didn't realise it was as straightforward as that.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda was putting a temp spare in Fit with manual transmission, while in the automatic version they used a compressor/sealant kit. There the issue was weight and fuel consumption, somehow. At least they offered a reasonably priced swap-in of the spare and it's peripherals, for around $200~300*. This was about 10~15 years back, not sure about now.

* Well, at the time I thought that was a preposterous cash grab, now with the hoops 2016 Prius owners are going through, it seems like peanuts, lol.

Addendum: see all Honda Fit's (at least in Canada) have a temp spare now, according to website.

#27 Mendel Leisk, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    RCO and MrMischief like this.
  8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Can't fault 57 mpg US, I'm only getting 61 mpg UK, which is about 51 mpg US.

RCO likes this.
  9. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Two punctures and every 5000 miles when I did my own tire rotations

RCO likes this.
  10. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    invest in jack stands, makes that job easier

11. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    What do you do if the repair kit fails? Are you going to be one of those people that leave the car raised on a jack on the side of the road while you bring the rim to a tire place?! I am not risking that.

#31 lohikaarme, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Fortunately I am financially able to add a spare. I actually drive with my prius, though not the 2600 mile round trips along the east coast anymore..now around the middle of the country. I just am not going to risk this and I suspect many others are in the same boat. Thanks for the advice though

homeplacePrius and breakfast like this.
  13. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I bought one that came with a spare sssoooo........

But I'd say that between toyota road side assistance and the roadside assistance through my insurance I'd be just fine. I drive through WY and MT on a regular basis, not going to get much more remote than that. I like to take my Charger on those trips rather than the prius and the lack of a spare in that has never concerned me. It probably should I suppose as the tire size is probably more difficult to find in the middle of nowhere than the Prius tire. The pump and gunk worked fine the one time I used it in the Charger. I'd be willing to bet that most flats are due to nails and screws which the gunk should be able to handle. But you're right, if you run over someone's prison shank you'll probably have issues and for that I suppose tire plugs or roadside assistance?

I'm not a fan of no spare, but it's the way of the future weather we like it or not.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few people have just bought a spare, tossed it in the hatch, or rear seat footwell. This is funky in the extreme though. You're approach is admirable, but sadly very pricey. It grates to get a car closing in on 30 grand, and then deal with stuff like this.

kithmo likes this.
  15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I got my spare kit off the dealer as part of the deal, I don't think he realised how much it would cost him at the time but he came good.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  16. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ok lets be done with this and post for people to finally see!

I got in all 3 pieces of foam, part numbers in earlier post. IMG_5024.JPG

Here is what the prius 4 looks like under the original foam. You have the tire punch out and the screw down IMG_5025.JPG IMG_5026.JPG

Here is the outer foam installed. There is a screw toward the rear on both sides that plugs into a plastic clip on the foam. The clips toward the front cannot be used from the original foam because they are too wide. I have better pictures of that later on but it doesnt really matter. IMG_5027.JPG

This is the kind of gap you would be looking at toward the hatch
    IMG_5028.JPG

Below is the spare gen3 tire in place with the gen3 screw down IMG_5029.JPG IMG_5030.JPG

Here is the 3rd foam piece installed. All level, no pressure on the rear seat IMG_5031.JPG
    All the stock tools go into their holes
    IMG_5032.JPG IMG_5033.JPG
    I left these opened as pictured below. I might buy the actual clips but I dont think this is going anywhere.
    IMG_5034.JPG IMG_5035.JPG

Below is the stock floor installed. The next few pictures will show gaps on the sides. I dont think it is major and put in the request to cancel the new floor I ordered.
    IMG_5036.JPG IMG_5037.JPG IMG_5038.JPG IMG_5039.JPG
    Here is the all weather mat on top of the floor. Same gaps to a lesser extent. All seems to work though. So I think it is safe to say you can add a spare with just the 3 pieces of foam, a gen3 tire and a screw down if you are going minimal
    IMG_5041.JPG IMG_5042.JPG IMG_5043.JPG

PtPri, CyndieW, Robert Holt and 7 others like this.
  17. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So when you fold the seats down, is the floor flat? Is there a piece of fabric that sticks up in a little V shape? This is looking very interesting to me.

18. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh.. and another question: Do you notice any noise coming from that area, I mean more than before?

19. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I just drove 750 miles with just the tire screwed down and center foam installed with the floor over it and it was fine with no sounds. I will need to check the seat fold. I have the rubberized mats on the back of my seats so they will be higher than usual and might impact the test

20. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Does it stick up a little when the seats are folder? Yes
    Will it lay down with a little weight? Yes

I dont think it is that big of a deal but it makes me wonder, the old foam was lower- it sticks up a little because this foam is a little lower than the seats, I wonder what it was like when you flipped the seats down with the old foam! Not that I am going to reassemble the old foam to find out but I suspect it would have been more of an issue... Or maybe the floor was low enough that it never had to lay flat anyway

IMG_5044.JPG IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.JPG IMG_5048.JPG