1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

under 50mph til broke in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gabe, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 17 2006, 05:14 AM) [snapback]272616[/snapback]</div>

• Exactly ;) . I will always follow the advice from the manual before following advice from a salesperson, many of whom don't seem to know much about the Prius.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobrye @ Jun 17 2006, 06:30 AM) [snapback]272627[/snapback]</div>
    I read the same thing in the manual when my wife got her new Nissan. Unfortunately that was right after our road trip to Ohio, where we used the cruise control as much as possible, we started the trip with maybe a couple hundred miles on the odometer. But we drove the car over 100,000 miles and sold it to a cousin who still drives it, no transmission or engine problems yet. As another poster mentioned, the Prius has a significantly different transmission than most cars, so I'm not sure that still applies. I remember reading what was mentioned in the manual - avoid hard stops and starts, primarily.

There must be some things that are affected by break-in though, since the mileage slowly improves, apparently most significantly around the time of the first scheduled oil change (5K miles) and full service (15K miles), unless it's the new fluids doing that. I only have a little over 3K miles on my car, so I don't know first-hand.