1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Under-body plastic panels - important?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Launch Vehicle, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Launch Vehicle

Launch Vehicle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the first time since we bought it, I took a look-see at the underbody cladding of our Prius. I know - I'm an idiot. However, up until now, all oil and ATF changes were performed by either Toyota dealers - or independent garages.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on the following:

A. On the front passenger side, there appears to be a missing panel, (roughly) 2' by 2-1/2' in size. Is this where that notorious oil-access door should be? And is this a matter that must be addressed? (And will (or has) our fuel economy suffer(ed) because of it?)

B. When rapping the thinner underbody panels located to the rear of the front axle (on both sides) - we hear rattling - like there are small stones or other debris trapped above them (hopefully not nuts and bolts). Is this the likely result of that opening up front, and can anything short of of lifting the car in the air - and giving it a good shake - remove them? Other than the nuisance of having them there, any harm done if they remain?

Folks - thank you for your valued input. - Bob

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with you on this... I have a 2007 with the same problem and I really, really want some feedback on this subject.

Ideally, I'd like a template that I can download and print up and make uncarriage panels with... I want to cover the whole underside of the car (sans exhaust area) because it'd improve MPGs and maybe eliminate some of the scraping noises when the car bottoms out on the usual things this car tends to bottom out on. The previous owner had loads of repairs to the undercarriage covers so I want to replace the whole thing with something better!

I'm really surprised all these PriusChat geeks aren't able to help us?

3. AishaT

AishaT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Me too Bob... One of mine were torn half off on the freeway and I need to replace it. But don't want to pay the dealer

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Small gravel will accumulate, with or without the missing oil change access flap you noted, but it can't help.

I did my own oil change yesterday (4th), and what I do is take the whole panel off, for better access, and to avoid wear-and-tear on that flimsy flap.

Likely the pros have been using the flap when doing your oil change, bending it back with gusto.

A new (complete) panel will be over $300. The new one might have revised the hinge design, I've heard reports of that, here: it has a larger radius at the bend, maybe thicker.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you are one that cares anything about keeping the underside of the engine clean then I would definitely replace it. If you do not then those that have chosen to remove theirs have reported a negligible decrease in mpg.

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like MSRP is $250 today. Maybe the price went down?
    If you give me a call I can give you some options. My shop is not far from NOHO.

Avi

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is why we need someone to make a template that we can download and make our own underbelly pans out of material that is twice and strong and only 10% the price... Toyota has lost huge amounts of money on warranty replacements of underbelly pans for Prius, so they are definitely not the people to go to for a solution. Aftermarket mods for the underbelly is high on my list of priorities!

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recall seeing aftermarket aluminum skid plates when I was briefly considering a VW Passat TDI. Here's some thought starters if anyone is ambitious enough to DIY:

Making your own aluminum skid plate half the price?
    Evolution "Thor" Skid Plate For B5/B5.5 Passat
    Passat Aluminum Skid Plate belly pan replacement

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last night I was thinking it would be nice if someone made a replacement door, however, it took your reply to make me think "why don't I make replacement doors."

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plastic is ok for this purpose, but should be thicker/softer. Our previous Civic Hybrid had a similar hinge, but the material was maybe twice the thickness, and softer, should no signs of breaking after many many bends. Unfortunately though, the flap was so darn long it made it perilous for floor jack and jack stands lifts.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most ecomodder's make their belly pans out of the same type of plastic that is used for political election campaign signs... The stuff is way more durable than the overpriced plastic molding Toyota uses... It also doesn't dent like aluminum does. And it being an election year come the second week of November there's an almost unlimited free supply of it!

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two