1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Under Dashboard Button and/or Light (I never noticed before?)

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by sbturtle, Aug 2, 2017.

1. sbturtle

sbturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hello.

After getting my car's regular maintenance at a local dealer, I noticed the following button / light / whatever under my steering wheel.

There's a few possibilities:

1) I never noticed it before.

2) It had a cover.

3) Someone installed it.

Beyond those 3 questions, what is it and what does it do?

I asked the technician, he said it's a light with a button. But when I push the button nothing happens. It appears wired into the dashboard.

Picture:

Make, Model, and Year: Toyota Prius C - Model 2 - 2013

Thank you! =)

#1 sbturtle, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't see the image, but from your description, I'd say it's a dealer installed Karr alarm.

Google it for more images.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, viewed the picture in a browser. I'd still say it's a dealer installed alarm. You don't really need to worry about it if it isn't activated.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you buy the car new?

5. sbturtle

sbturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Yes. But I never noticed it before. Is it something they put in recently or did I just never notice? (I realize you probably can't answer that. Thinking out loud). How do I find out for sure what it is? If the technician I normally go to tells me it's a 'light' that makes me question asking the same dealership again. What do you advise?

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If possible go back to the dealer where you bought it and insist that they check the records or otherwise find out WHAT IT IS.

I've had 3 C's and none had anything like that.

If it IS some kind of alarm, you NEED to know how it works; otherwise it might "accidentally" disable the car sometime.

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you sure they gave you your car back?

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect the are covertly tracking their customers. could be cause for legal action, contact your a/g's office.

9. sbturtle

sbturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I'm 100% certain it's my car.

Same everything - even down to the door scratches, including the miles, etc.

I called Toyota corporate help line and they took down my concerns. They said they can't receive emails with pictures so I'm better off going to the dealership. In this case, of course, I'm not comfortable going to the same dealership to investigate itself, so corporate gave me a list of nearby dealerships and I spoke with one of the technicians over the phone. He said to stop by and he'll take a look at it and see what's happening under the hood. So I'll be taking it to the other dealership tomorrow. I'm feeling quite uneasy and worried now. =/

#9 sbturtle, Aug 2, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    From the appearance, I’d say it is part of an aftermarket alarm system, such as the KARR system sold by Southwest Dealer Services, Inc., probably installed by a dealer for their own convenience. You can read my comments about these in another thread.

The component in your photo, with the button, is probably connected by a wire to a larger unit somewhere behind the dashboard, which in turn is connected to several taps on the instrument panel wire harness. The component with the button typically has a socket for a bypass module, which the dealer installs to “deactivate” the system if the customer doesn’t buy the alarm.

The system can—and in my opinion, should—be removed, but if this is done, make sure it’s fully excised, so any remaining parts won’t try to prevent the car from starting or cause other trouble.

11. sbturtle

sbturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Will removing it leave two holes in the under dash area? I wonder what Toyota's policy is on that ... cosmetic damage by a dealership. I was never offered any kind of alarm system that I recall. This was back in 2013.

I think I figured out who the maker is. Rockledge Securities. Part of the R3 package. I can't provide a link due to my newly registered status on the board. I checked the company's list of dealership partners and the dealership I bought the car from is on the list. What's interesting is the other dealership I'm having check it out is also on that list. But when I got the answer, "It's just a light", I feel a sense of distrust returning to the original place of purchase.

#11 sbturtle, Aug 2, 2017
  12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Probably so, unless the panel is replaced. If you don’t want to do that, after removing the device, you could just reinstall the two screws, assuming there is sufficient space behind the panel.
    I agree—a surprise like this would give me the creeps, too.

You might consider returning to the original dealer, though, since if they’re still installing the systems in new cars, they probably have a technician who would know how to remove it completely, leaving only the disconnected T-taps on the factory wiring harness. They might also be willing to do it for free, in the interest of avoiding any kind of claim.

If you go this route, before you take the car in, I’d suggest looking under the dashboard to see if you can find the other part of the system, so you’ll be able to make sure it’s gone later. You may find the figures in the Electronic Parts Catalog helpful to identify extraneous parts.

13. sbturtle

sbturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday, I took it to the other dealership. He examined and confirmed it was a defunct car alarm installed by the other dealership, and seemed dead. I'll go to this other dealership from now on because they are much closer (I've recently moved). They said they will cover regular maintenance and warranty issues, no problem.

I want to say thanks for all the replies and help. This community is amazing! This is was my first thread creation and posting, but I've often lurked and gotten answers here. =)

ztanos, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.

15. edspecR

edspecR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    fyi, i also have that in my car and it is for the (disabled) KARR alarm. it bugs me. I want to take it out.