1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Underbody Panel Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by geeter, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not only that, charging $250 for a little piece of plastic is definitely un-Toyota like.

It is another data point which reinforces my view that Prius parts are overpriced.

2. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Geeter - The picture you posted of your oil change access door looks like the right front corner of the door is missing. This would prevent the damaged door from being reinstalled. So unfortunately, unless you have a new door fabricated (which has been done by someone according to another thread), the dealer was correct in saying the whole undercover needs to be replaced, but they should not be charging you for the part or the labor to install. If I were you in this situation, I would escalate the problem to the General Manager/Owner of the dealership since you have been a loyal service customer that they should want to keep. If the dealership does not give you satisfaction, then escalate to Toyota, but you may find that your best shot was at the dealership. I hope you are successful. This was not your fault.

To everyone who is either unsuspecting or think this problem won't happen to you, I suggest you be proactive so you don't get stuck with this dilemma. It will hapen to every 2010+ Prius. It is only a matter of time. Prevent the oil change door from falling off by fixing it while it is still intact and attached to the car. The undercover/door is on the car for good reason to retain engine heat. Because the Prius engine runs intermittently it loses heat when in the off cycle that has to regenerated when it restarts. The less heat that is lost and has to be regenerated, the more efficient the engine will run and the higher the fuel economy. Removing the undercover or the oil change door will cause the engine to cool down more during the off cycles and have a negative effect on fuel economy, and perhaps engine performance and longevity.

I am amazed by the continued bitching and bad advice given out about this problem. Sure it would be nice if Toyota stepped up and fixed it for us, but it should be clear by now that the probability of that happening is close to zero. So the problem is ours to deal with. C'est la vie!

Finally, don't diddle around with temporary measures. It cost me less than $10.00 to fix it right the first time, permanently, with hinges, as described in my below post. Even if you have to pay someone to do this fix, it will cost less in the long run to fix it now than not fix it and suffer the costs of higher fuel consumption and other consequential problems.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...90903-oil-change-door-permanent-solution.html

3. The Traveller

The Traveller New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone out there know where I can find a replacement oil pan access door for my 2010 Prius III?
    I know there is a problem with this and a service letter from Toyota, but my car is now in Europe and the warranty has ran out.
    Thanks,
    The Traveller.

4. Paul Chermak

Paul Chermak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same problem with same part lying in the driveway. Heard a noise, backed up and there it was. I am on vacation a long way from any Toyota dealer and not sure what the dang thing is. Called a dealer in Madison, Wi and he didn't seem to know and passed me of to go see a mechanic

5. mdoakes

mdoakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am right there with you! I am so happy that I got a Prius for the environmental and economical benefits, but this underbody shield thing is bullshit. I have never had any other vehicles with this and it just causes more problems than it is worth.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Whoa, good prices there. Would assume they DON'T ship to Canada. ;(

Simple way to make that panel last forever, well, simple if you're the only person accessing it...): never just open the smaller flap, take the whole thing off. Good for checking the CV boots, look the transaxle and oil pans over for leaks, and so on.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I might be missing mine, can anyone by chance confirm if it's this? Thanks!

20190717_193428.jpg 20190717_193435.jpg

EDIT: sorry for accidentally necroposting!!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    S'okay. You might have coined a new word too...

Yup, when you can see the oil pan, the "flap" is gone.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Looks like it's this piece, can anyone confirm by chance?

Screenshot_20190726-140301_Chrome.jpg

I'd hate to order the wrong part, just to wedge myself under the car and have the most regrets since my marriage.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Likely aftermarket, doesn't have the insulating bits (for sound??) but cheap to try.

11. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a diaper.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if I'm missing a joke here lol

13. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an absorbent pad designed to catch oil dripping from the engine, preserving a pristine look of your garage floor… And ensuring that when you finally notice that something is wrong with the engine, it will lead to a costly repair.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  14. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a new one from rock auto for around $30 Don't pay dealer prices. It's a thin piece of plastic that's all it is.

#55 Dan05979, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How was the fit-and-finish? Did the holes match up? Quality ok?

16. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To be honest I haven't had a chance to install it since i'm dealing with other issues with the engine. I'm planning on installing that after I get the transmission fluid changed.

17. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I've installed a very similar panel I bought from Amazon. Likely the same thing under a different name. It's a bit softer than OEM (I think it's made of LDPE), stamping is accurate enough. Holes, on the other hand, are off by 3-7mm. Some diameters are too small (fixed it by sticking a needlenose pliers through those holes). Installation went fairly ok, but I might cut out that damn oil "door" at the next oil change, as I forgot how claustrophobic it is to work under that panel.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I jus take whole panel off, every oil change. It goes quick. Start at the back and work your way forward, bolts removed last, then slip it out from under the next towards the front. Before reinstalling the plastic fasteners wash them out. A drop of oil on the bolts and install with a nut driver.

19. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not if you can barely squeeze under a car.

Speaking of bolts, in time I had it off I completely forgot, which hole in the middle needs a bolt to reduce sagging?

Mendel Leisk likes this.