1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Undercover / skid plate / splash plate

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jstevens44, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jstevens44

jstevens44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I entered a driveway to a business park area and apparently the include was greater than I thought and I was going a bit too fast. I heard the bottom of my 2017 Prius Three hit and scrape. After I parked, I looked under the car and there are scrape marks all along the plastic skid plate and a cover price in the middle is hanging down and dragging. I’ve never even looked under the car, but it looks like a removable cover plate, perhaps covering where the engine oil is drained.
    I’m currently around 550 miles from home and I have to make the trek back in 2 days. Is it safe to drive?
    Does anyone know how much it will be to have fixed? I’m guessing one of two things is going to happen. I’ll have to replace that small removable cover for sure, and hopefully that’s it. Seeing as it was pulled off in the hit, I’m guessing what was holding it on was damaged as well and I’m guessing they are going to say that the whole skid plate thing has to be replaced.
    Anyone have any experience with this? Is it expensive? Is it easy enough to do that I can do it at home if I get the parts?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So the whole splash shield has been removed, or is something still dangling?

It’s just valence, so you could pull it off and get it fixed at home.

If it is still on there, might be worth looking up a shop that could just pull it off and hand it back to you for sorting later.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. jstevens44

jstevens44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I took some pictures of it hanging. I was then able to borrow a screwdriver and I drove it up on a curb with one tire so I could crawl underneath. It was hanging on with one clip. The other two clips were gone and half the cover is gone as well.
    The good news is that it is the cover for the oil drain and none of the places where the cover attaches seem too damaged. So I think I just need to figure out the part number and order the cover and new clips/screws.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If the larger cover is intact, you need only the No. 4 Center Engine Under Cover, part number 51447-47030, list price $61.83. A dealer near me sells them online for $42 or so. You’ll also need three screws, 90159-60477, and three U-nuts, 90179-06104. See the second image in parts catalog Figure 51-02, Suspension Crossmember & Under Cover, which also shows the larger cover assembly (51410-47020).
    The cover is shown in the oil-change instructions. If you want someone else to install it, I’d suggest an independent shop, to avoid creating a record in Toyota’s computer system that the car was damaged and repaired. Ask the shop to look for other damage while the car is on the lift. The labor cost should be modest.

5. Cristos L-C

Cristos L-C New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been looking all day through forums and Chilton to try and figure out what that screw is. Thanks for including the part numbers, @Elektroingenieur !

Elektroingenieur likes this.