1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Underground' restaurants in NYC

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by kentricho, Jul 11, 2006.

1. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

My fiance and I are from Australia and we went to the States in May 2006 for a holiday.

Part of our holiday was in NYC and we were fortunate enough to stay with my fiance's uncle in his apartment in Wall Street, Manhattan.

Anyway, he told us that we were going to go this restaurant for dinner that is really nice and he said he had to book three months in advance to get us in there... anyway, we caught the train from Wall Street a couple of stops uptown (I can't remember the name of the station sorry - but I do remember that there was little Italy in the area) and we walked up to this typical American style diner, you know, where they cook bacon and eggs and burgers etc.

Anyway, there was a guy on the door with a notepad and my fiance's uncle said a few words to him and he motioned us inside the diner and through the 'Staff Only' door. We walked through and down the stairs, through the kitchen where food was being cooked and into this really awesome little funky bar and mexican restaurant.

Being in Australia, this kinda stuff simply doesn't exist, so we were absolutely fascinated that they have these secret little places. Anyway the dinner was fantastic and my fiance's uncle said that this sorta place doesn't need to advertise as they get so much business from people 'in the know'.

Sorry to bore y'all, just one of our interesting experiences in NYC. Does anyone know of any of these type of restaurants?

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Nothing like that - we don't travel those crowds =P - but the best places in NY seem to be unadvertised. DH took me out for Dim Sum on my first trip up - we got off the subway, and there was this towering beautiful restaurant with stainless steel everything, very elegant and it smelled good.

DH led me across the street and down a few store fronts into a packed to the gills hole in the wall restaurant - the floor was dirty, the tables were all too close to one another, the waitstaff was always yelling to each other loudly in Chinese... I've now eaten dim sum everywhere I can find it, and that place STILL holds the 'best dim sum' title

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Were people smoking in the "underground" restaurant?

Nate

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

There are actually a lot of "underground" restaurants (and clubs as well) in NYC. They have no signs, just unmarked doors, and they do not advertise. So you have to be "in the know" to even know where these places are (I understand that similar places exist in other cities such as London.) Recently the NY Times had an article about underground restaurants in NY, and showed photos of the entrances of several of them (I don't think they revealed the addresses.) As far as I know, no one has demanded that the NY Times be tried for treason on account of this story :) .

5. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 12 2006, 03:50 AM) [snapback]284503[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Nate,

No there were no people smoking in there.