1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Underhood terminal too small?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bluedogz, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Bluedogz

Bluedogz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just had my first experience jump-starting my 2012 Prius... I knew enough to use the charging points under the hood.

Trouble is, the positive lug under the hood is tiny and buried in the fuse box! I had to try three friends' jumper cables before I found one that could squeeze in there.

A search here turned up not much... what am I missing?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're missing that the Prius shouldn't really ever need a jump since it doesn't crank. And when it does, the Japanese design has not been touched like it on the other Toyota Lines. The USDM Prius and the JDM Prius are very similar. The Japanese have small batteries and small terminals as standard. Your average set of jumper cables there is marketed as "motorcycle jump cables" or "compact jump cables" here.

So carry some compact jump cables and be good with it. But keep in mind a reverse polarity jump in a Prius can be a $4k mistake. Investing in smart cables for $20 seems like the better idea.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really don't need to use the elephantine monsters normally associated with the heavy currents (100+ Amperes) of conventional "jump starts". Bear in mind you're NOT turning the ICE, so lightweight gauge cable will be quite adequate, not much current is needed to boot-up a Prius's computers. I even read a post hereabouts where someone used 8 "D" cells wired together to jump their Prius! ;)

Tande likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could also jumpstart directly at the battery, if you've got big clamps. Again, be very careful to avoid mixing up positive and negative, and get the underlying problem addressed ASAP: this is not something you should be doing on a regular basis.

Raytheeagle and WilDavis like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and learn how to test and charge your battery, it may need replacement.