1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Understanding EV

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by novaz, May 27, 2017.

1. novaz

novaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am a little confused about the EV indicator on monitor display when my battery is charged about 3/4 or so and my speed is less than 40mph the EV indicator comes on but when I try to switch EV on with the push button on the floor it tells me excessive speed does not allow this mode I am really new to the Prius so just trying to understand more
    Thanks

2. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    EV < 25MPH

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As you have noticed there are two EV conditions:

1 ) You can press the EV button to force the computers to choose EV mode against their better judgement. Re-parking in a parking lot, or sneaking home late at night might be times this would seem like a good idea, but it is largely a gimmick.

2) Sometimes the computers will decide on their own that EV mode is more efficient than the gas engine. (for me this happens more often when the Cruise Control is on, I suspect the computers do not trust my right foot) This can happen at speed up to about 40 MPH.

4. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Yeah, the car can choose to use EV mode over a broader range of conditions than you can. But you can usually fool it - if you've got a decent amount of power in the battery and you're not trying to accelerate or go uphill, then briefly lifting your foot right off the throttle pedal will usually prompt the car to go into EV mode, and then you can reapply just enough throttle to maintain your speed without having the engine turn on again.

I've gotten so used to doing this now that I sometimes find myself doing it out of habit when I'm driving a different car.

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The C is different; the speed threshold is less.
    In my experience, even less than advertised.
    The EV button is virtually useless.

roadrunner likes this.
  6. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Actually, 40mph sounds about right for the upper limit for EV operation. It won't go that fast via the "EV Mode" button of course, but I've found that the car can decide on its own to run in EV mode up to 74km/h (46mph) as long as you have a good charge on the battery and you don't need too much throttle.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Electric-Only operation is based on kW draw from the battery.

If demand is low, the top EV speed will be faster and automatically engaged. This is known as "stealth" mode, since it is an inherent part of the hybrid system.

That EV button offers a mode you manually engaged. It draws more from the battery, giving you more power but at the tradeoff of a slower speed maximum.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well we WERE talking about the EV button.
    Both the owners manual and experience says the threshold is about 24 MPH.
    Actually experience tells me that it's lower because anything more than a touch on the gas pedal results in it switching off due to "excessive acceleration".

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is the Prius C sub-forum and that is what the discussion is about.
    The C really does not have an "electric only" mode of operation.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The engine stops (zero rpm) while driving continues, the propulsion power provided during that time can be labeled whatever you want. It comes exclusively from the battery-pack, which is an efficiency opportunity the hybrid system takes advantage of to deliver higher MPG.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  11. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It certainly can't operate in electric-only mode over its full performance range, but it can indeed operate in electric-only mode. However any attempt to push the car beyond its very modest electric-only limits will cause the internal combustion engine to kick in.

I consider the Prius C to be a "gateway drug" to the full electric operation of both pure EVs such as the Teslas, Leafs, Chevy Bolts, etc., and electric cars with range extenders such as the Chevy Volt. The C teases you with a taste of EV driving but withholds the real goods.

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I guess it's a matter of definition.

To me an "electric only" mode means that the vehicle will operate over a modest normal range of activities with the gas engine effectively locked out. The C never does that; it really is a car powered by a gasoline engine and a battery as a "helper".

I don't see that having the engine shut off under a few narrowly defined circumstances, like when coasting or stopped or from 0 to 3 MPH, qualifies as "electric only" operation.

dubit likes this.
  13. novaz

novaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the replies don't want to be a gauge watcher appreciate the help

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    EV Mode - Button Pressed - Engine cold = 9mph max, Engine warm = 25mph max
    EV Mode - Computer controller - 45mph max (varies depending on engine temperature and battery charge).

15. strategy400

strategy400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The electric part of the car is mainly there to provide the rarely needed performance boost to the super efficient yet underpowered gas engine. Not really there for long term or high speed solo use. But I'm preaching to the long departed choir...