1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UNESCO Biosphere Reserves

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jun 16, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Posting for your information:

UN Announces 23 New Nature Reserves While U.S. Removes 17

I have just 'a knitted brow', not yet a strong opinion about this situation. The 17 to be 'de-listed' In US include several long-term ecological research sites. Where I presume research will continue unchanged. Others on the list may now be accessible for petroleum or other mineral exploration.

No opinion on 3 MAB Reserves de-listed in Bulgaria. Possibly this is just another country with limited funds available for elitist goals like environmental protection.

Knitting continues...

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This is a different topic I thought I'd posted on before. But cannot find it.

Several US Natl, Monuments are considered for de-listing. A public comment period o that just ended. Apparently most comments were in favor of keeping them.

https://thinkprogress.org/monument-review-comment-backlash-5e3462a5443b

There are other places to read about this than 'thinkprogress' so don't go all snowflakey about that.

3. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

"98 percent were supportive of maintaining or expanding current national monument boundaries, while just 1 percent supported the idea of shrinking monuments."

Wow - that is an overwhelming number. I'm glad that people from all ideologies came together on this ( hunting/fishing groups, environmental groups, outdoor retailers, etc.. ). It's nice to see that the outdoor retail contingent is finally mobilizing on these issues.

Now we'll see if this administration ignores it or not!

I also find it extremely amusing that the Utah politicians with an adgenda (Orrin Hatch, etc...) want to eliminate these protected areas even though their state spends big bucks advertising all of them ( including the Bears Ears area ). There is a obvious huge conflict of interest...even within the state.

#3 farmecologist, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Would add that 'Ducks Unlimited' has been active in preserving wetlands for a long time. Yes, they also promote shooting at ducks with lead shot, but wetlands do not have a long nor wide list of advocates.

Bear's Ears was listed in late days of Obama's presidency. At that time an alternative approach was proposed* by Reps. Bishop and Chaffetz of Utah. Basically a different way of keeping mining (etc.) off federal lands. It went nowhere, but it suggests that there are other protection pathways besides National Monuments.

Anyway, I agree with farmecologist that there are financially rewarding use pathways for such lands other than mining. It gets political because not all pathways are equally lobbied for at national level.

* internet search for "BILLS-114hr5780ih". But only if you really want to. These things are harder to read than scientific papers :eek: