1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uneven battery use

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Kedavis, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, “mostly level ground.” That could be interpreted either to mean no appreciable elevation change, or not many hills, or both, so not sure.

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That’s probably a big piece of it...

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And we are trying to tell you that measuring "actual battery percent charge level" really IS mostly a guess.......unless you have some really expensive equipment which is not present in your average car.

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm... So why would that be hard? They know very accurately how many KWh they’ve pulled from it, and how many they charge into it each time.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Mostly because it is almost impossible to accurately determine what the usable CAPACITY of the battery is at any given time.
    That typically varies with age and temperature and manufacturing quality.

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ll buy that for long-term battery capacity, but they know how much they charged into it last time it was charged, and how much they’ve discharged from it. There will be a certain amount of self-discharge, but that’s pretty small assuming that the time from charge to discharge is short.

It’s certainly at least a vastly-more-precise science than estimating how many more miles you get on the current battery charge (the GoM).

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would think percentage would be more accurate than miles available, since that can be affected by driving conditions.

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Indeed.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Another reason I like using my ol' trusty, dusty ScanGaugeII for SOC readings. Of course, it's only as good as the x-gauge script written for it; which is pretty darn accurate on my C-max.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SOC % shown on the MID is perfectly linear with what ECU reports on Hybrid Assistant. 100% SOC on MID is 83% SOC on ECU, and 0% SOC on MID is 14% SOC on ECU. See my comment #8. I have not tried ScanGaugeII or any other app that might show that data, but as long as they are getting the data from ECU, I would think they all show the same SOC wouldn't they?

I agree with @mr88cet all of in and out (kWh) of the traction battery is known by the ECU, so reporting SOC % should be accurate.

mr88cet likes this.
  11. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If I were choose just one reason, it would be this^

I don't know about other people, but I'm not particularly good about judging elevation changes on roadways unless they get really obvious, so I would likely consider anything <5% grade to be "flat".

I pretty much run HybridAssistant every time I drive my Prime and I've learned that consistent driving is extremely hard. Even in the same flat, no-traffic drives, I can be wildly inconsistent in how much I accelerate, brake or even cruise. And the Prime is very. very sensitive to these changes.

Kedavis likes this.
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm in the same park as the two comments above mine @noonm and @Salamander_King
    It's only 3.6 miles, and should be easy to retrace your route almost exactly once, twice or as many times as it takes for you to find the gauges that will show you without any doubts left exactly what is happening during the elevation change in both directions.

Here are two pics taken 3 Oct 2019 . I have elevation changes of
    beginning ----103.00 m / 337.93 feet
    main road ----111.00 m / 364.17 feet
    3.1 miles down - 76.00 m / 249.34 feet
    20191003-3milesdown.jpg 20191003-3milesup.jpg

chargepoint -------- 75.00 m / 246.06 feet
    back to side road - 11.00 m / 364.17 feet
    back at beginning - 103.00 m / 337.93 feet

elevation data from https://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

The best description I have of this mornings 2 trips are
    41.5 miles EV trip one
    full charge at chargepoint charger
    3 miles back to the beginning.
    I have other ( mostly boring as hell ) photos from these two trips, of various gauges from the Multi Informational Display as shown above
    and some others from the 2017-2019 Prime Plus 7 inch Display,
    116 including the two above.

Speed is actually the biggest factor in EV and EV auto battery use and range.
    My speed was 44 mph and under, mostly under, way under.
    Edit:Check that, going up hill can be. If the elevation change is great enough, that can Trump speed for the biggest factor in EV range. Even going up a very long and steep incline at very slow speed can be more kWh intense than going faster on the flat. But the amounts and angles make the blanket statements dead wrong at times.

#32 vvillovv, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    noonm likes this.
  13. Kedavis

Kedavis Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    [Tonight I went to a concert a few miles away. It was mostly highway driving. The temperature when I left (after not having driven for a day) was in the 70s. When I got to my destination, the EV battery said 92% (I had charged it fully the day before).
    I came home after a few hours and the temperature was in the 60s. I took the same route on mostly level ground. When I got home the EV battery said 63%.] Posted Oct. 12.
    I thought there might be interest in knowing I took the same route recently but drove home on local roads instead of the highway. The temperature was probably a bit lower now. The distance was probably a bit longer as the route meanders compared to the straight highway.
    It took quite a bit longer with all the traffic lights, stop signs,and longer distance.
    Despite the drop in temperature and longer distance, I only used 24% of my charge this time compared to 29% on the highway.
    I won't be doing it again.