1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unexplained spoiler damage... can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danep, Mar 14, 2019.

1. danep

danep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius, and in the last few months, I've noticed some odd damage on the top of my rear spoiler that seems to be getting worse over time. It looks like abrasion or sun damage.
    spoiler1.jpg spoiler2.jpg
    Overaggressive washing or general sun damage are the only explanations I can think of. I don't wash my car often, and when I do it's usually a professional hand-wash. It has been through an automated wash but only two or three times over its life. I know automated washes are bad, but are they really this bad? And why would the damage take so long to come up? As for sun damage... it's been parked on the street most of its life but I still wouldn't expect this.

More importantly, does anyone have any ideas how to repair this? I had it washed and waxed just last month, and if anything the damage has become more pronounced since then... :(

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car lives outside you have a very dark color lots of pigment which means it will fade fast unless hyper vigilant about wax.

Very very common on all cars with plastic spoiler and 9 years old and lives outside.

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only way to repair is have it painted or vinyl wrap it.

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours has done battle with our garage door about 4 times now. The garage door always mercifully jumps it's track, and the damage to the spoiler is superficial. I'm cagey now, have wrapped the metal bar on the garage door that's doing the hitting. For the record, it's me that's done the deed, every time... :whistle::oops::whistle:

Anyway yeah: paint, or plasti-dip??

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time to update my signature

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Just spray paint it

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have not had my spoiler off, and I cannot tell if the spoiler is just a piece of formed plastic like an injection-molded ski, or a true fiberglass layup. IF it is true fiberglass, I recall there were ways to replace the gel-coat surface finish on sailboats, and I suspect that applying a new surface layer of resin over the problem area would work. You might have to match a polyester+catalyst type of fiberglass versus an 2-part-epoxy-based type of fiberglass in the original spoiler to be completely compatible if you tried that approach.
    BUT, if the spoiler is just plastic, then any re-surfacing would have to be compatible with that particular plastic. (Although for plastic I personally would be tempted to thoroughly clean it and try 1-2 layers of UV-resistant polyurethane, but if that was chemically incompatibile it could further damage the surface. Tiz a puzzlement.