1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unfocused Headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KevPilot, Aug 17, 2020.

1. KevPilot

KevPilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2007 Prius 2 with one funky projector headlight. The left is just fine. The right-hand light, on the other hand, does not want to properly focus/reflect and as a result it puts out about only 40% of the light that it should. Initially I thought the bulb was failing so I bought some LEDs as a replacement. Left side is great but the right one is too dim again. I've switched positions with the bulbs and gotten the same result.

I've noticed that I can pull back the twist on installing a fraction of a turn and it looks much better but I cannot get the bulb to stay in that position. Could it be that the reflecting mirror for the bulb may be at an off angle? This is simply a guess on my part.

Has anyone seen this issue before and, more importantly, does anyone have any advice. I'd rather not have to buy a new lamp unit.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some cars have an adapter which goes between the bulb and the socket. It is possible on those cars to get a bulb which fits (sort of) but will not stay at the right place to be in focus. I don't know if the Prius is like that, but it would be easy enough to figure it out. Just pull the good headlight bulb, and compare it to the bad one.

Also, there is a little wire like metal clip that holds the bulb in place. If any part it needs to hook into breaks then the bulb will be free to move and it will do what you are describing. Lots of cars use these and when one breaks it is a major PITA.