1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unfortunate XMAS Present from Toyota: Refusal to cover warrantied propulsion battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JLP, Jan 3, 2014.

1. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if anyone on this thread can help direct me to getting some help from Toyota. I am having an experience with my Prius that I purchased used. The details are in the letter I copied below that I sent to the CEO and copied the GM of the dealership that I am dealing with. So far the 800 number has not been helpful. After promises of 24 hour return call, they called me back 4 days later to tell me they would look at my case and then get back to me. Which then after 3 days they got back to me to tell me that they would stand behind what their regional distribution manager has original said.
    Hoping some one has had some success with getting some communication from Toyota Motor Company that is more than just "that is our policy" or "no assistance".

December 29, 2013

Toyota Motor North America, Inc.
    attn: Mr. James E. Lentz, President and Chief Operating Officer
    19001 South Western Avenue
    Torrance, CA 90501

Subj: 2006 Prius, VIN JTDKB20U963135096
    —Propulsion Battery Warranty Failure; battery replacement not covered
    —ZTV Campaign (Combination Meter Warranty Extension) dealer problems

via: FedEx Tracking No.

Dear Mr. Lentz,

I am writing to make you aware of an unfortunate experience with my 2006 Prius, and a long string of communication problems that have followed. My Prius has ~62,000 miles, and a warranty start date of Dec 21st, 2005.

On Dec 12th I left for a trip from the Miami Airport, leaving my Prius parked in the airport parking garage. Upon my late return on Dec 23rd my Prius greeted me with 4 large warning lights. As suggested by the owner's manual, the car was drivable, but obviously in need of service. I called a friend that's a mechanic who told me to bring him the car the following morning as “it was probably the 12-volt battery, a frequent source of trouble in the Prius.” (Mine has drained after sitting for long periods of time.)

The next morning (Dec 24th) he replaced the 12-volt battery and all the lights went out. Unfortunately, after 30 minutes of driving, the warning lights returned. I called my nearest Toyota dealer (Deerfield Beach Toyota) and “Jesse,” the Prius Service Adviser told me that since it was Christmas Eve they were about to leave for the day and there was nothing they could do for me until Dec 26th. I asked him about the warranty on the hybrid battery (which I suspected might be going bad because of the warning lights) and he told me that it is “10 years from the warranty start date.”

I returned to my friend and he checked the OBD-II codes for me—the 4th and 5th clusters of the main battery were not working. I called Jesse back and explained this to him and he again advised that “the warranty was good for 10-years and that I could bring it in after Christmas.”

As promised, I brought the car in on December 26th. After waiting for 2 hours I approached Jesse and he reported that, most likely, the hybrid battery would need to be replaced but he would let me know. I waited another hour. He then advised me that, “No, actually the warranty was only 8 years and that my warranty had just expired.” When I asked him about his statement that it was 10 years he said “I made a mistake.” I explained had I known I would have brought the car in on Christmas eve. I then explained that the battery was actually under warranty when it failed as my Prius had been parked at the airport parking lot during that time. Thus, the propulsion battery was within the warranty time frame and clearly well under the mileage limit.

After much discussion he finally called his service manager who simply said that it “was out of his control and he would have to contact his regional rep for the Southeast Region.”

As a side note I also requested the ZTV campaign be accomplished to address some intermittent display problems. While I believe both warranties include a loaner vehicle, I know the ZTV campaign letter specifically states that one will be provided. They did not wish to honor that request either.

When I got home I called your 800.331.4331 number for Customer Support. The initial person with whom I spoke (Janae) advised me to allow the dealership to escalate the situation and if they did not reply favorably to call her back. That process would determine if there was warranty coverage and 800 number “was for out-of-warranty help.” After several calls and messages, I still had not heard back from Jesse to clarify the ZTV campaign for him.

On the fourth call I connected with Jesse. He proceeded to tell me they had decided not to do the ZTV Combination Meter campaign. Thus, since I was only having the propulsion battery replaced, a loaner vehicle would not be provided. I insisted the campaign be done as the letter clearly says it needs to be done for my car, even if it has intermittent symptoms, and that the letter also clearly states that a loaner vehicle is included. He said he would have his manager call me. When his manager (Sean) called he stated, “Ok. We will do the campaign but I am only covering a rental for 3 days maximum.” When I started to read the letter from Toyota clearly stating that a loaner is provided for the length of time it takes for the combination meter to be replaced, he abruptly interrupted and said, “We will have it done by three days and that is all I will be reimbursed.”

(The days would have been yesterday, Saturday. No on has called me to advise of my car's status, despite promises to get back to me on Friday, and leaving messages on Saturday; I can only presume the combination meter replacement is not yet completed.)

Sean also told me that he had heard back from his rep and that the email back simply stated “no assistance.” When I asked what that meant he said, “They are declining to cover anything under warranty.” When I asked why he said he had nothing else from his representative, but he suspected it was because the car was purchased used and I had not been “investing” in the dealership. Last time I checked, Toyota's warranty coverage goes with the car, not the owner.

When I called your 800.331.4331 number back to advise on my lack of progress, the second person with whom I spoke, Janae (but not the same one), told me that now that I had escalated it through the dealership there was nothing they could do. I explained what the first person had said about trying that route first and then coming back to the national office, her reply was, “Oh, she was wrong.”

I called the Deerfield Beach Toyota and asked Sean why they didn’t explain to me that once they escalated the problem then there was no further recourse. He replied that “We have seen Toyota Motor Sales step in many times when something is turned down by the regional rep.”

I then called your 800 number back. This time they explained that they could escalate it to a supervisor but they stand behind their regional reps when they make a decision. They later advised that they would be back in touch with me by 6:00 p.m., California time, on Friday, which is their policy of a 24 hour return call.

I called again on Saturday to advise that no one had called back. Today is Sunday. No one bothered to call back today either.

Obviously, I need my Prius to work. At 62k miles, and assuming it regains its legendary Toyota reliability, it has many years of life to go. While I would have much preferred to handle this at the lowest levels, there appears to be remarkable communication gaps and/or confusion at both the dealership and HQ levels. Hence, my urgent request for your assistance.

May I please ask you to contact Deerfield Beach Toyota and ask them to do the following for my Prius:

1. Replace the main propulsion battery under warranty and at no cost (since it failed while under the warranty time and mileage limits).
    2. Replace the Combination Meter under the ZTV Campaign, as requested.
    3. Provide a loaner vehicle, as stated in the ZTV Campaign letter.

Please see the enclosed supporting documents if you have any questions.

Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

Sincerely,

cc: Mr. Brian Palmer, General Manager, Deerfield Beach Toyota

encl: Dated Parking Receipt, Miami Airport Parking; ZTV Campaign Letter

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a very well thought out letter. hopefully, toyota will do the right thing here. keep in mind, if they don't come thru, you can get a rebuilt battery installed for much less than the dealer price. all the best!(y)

JLP likes this.
  3. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

YOLOsoBuyaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Report the dealer to the BBB Council of Better Business Bureaus, INC if this situation keeps going this way. As for your poor Prius I don't understand how a hybrid battery fails at 66K miles. 5 days should not matter because there is a certain level of expected customer treatment from customer service. Is there another dealer near you? 10 year warranty is for a California emissions state FLORIDA IS ONE. Google has reviews about other customers being lied to about warranty's coverage.

JLP likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JLP likes this.
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the warranty go with the car or the original owner?

JLP likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JLP we need to know what state the car is registered...do I assume Florida?
    If so, Florida is not a CARB state, so your warranty is indeed 8 yrs or 100000 miles (10-yrs is CARB states).
    Yes 8-yrs would be Dec. 21, 2013 <Yikes!!!>. I think you said all this already, but maybe this gives you perspective.

Your approach in this case is to ask consideration of warranty coverage since is it literally 1 or 2 days off.
    The dealer generally will pass this request on for you to Toyota and normally Toyota makes an offer to help cover costs. Good luck. In other cases reported here I believe Toyota has offered I think to charge parts not labor.

JLP likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck.

I really just wish you the best of luck in getting assistance from the dealership or Toyota.

I recently had an entirely different experience with my Prius and "Toyota Customer Service" and much like you thus far, was very disappointed in their lack of support.
    My circumstance was entirely different BUT I heard and got almost the exact same response from Toyota Customer Service.
    It seemed to me like Toyota Customer Service existed primarily to make you feel like Toyota was going to be supportive and advocate FOR you, when it reality it acted primarily and almost singularly as an agent that protected and supported whatever the dealership said.

I still like Prius. I still respect Toyota as a manufacturer. But my own recent personal experience with Toyota Customer Care and a dealership has severely reduced my once sterling confidence in Toyota as a manufacturer that really supported their customers.

Eerily-" Hoping some one has had some success with getting some communication from Toyota Motor Company that is more than just "that is our policy" or "no assistance"- That is exactly the response I got from Toyota Customer Experience.

I hope my experience was singular and you get better resolution and support than I got from Toyota.

I have heard many stories where Toyota has been supportive even to the point of supporting a vehicle repair well beyond warranty.

So there is hope. Good Luck.

JLP likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another post where the op's situation is location/state dependent, posts a small novel but cannot even bother listing there location. Quite frustrating. Does the 'Location" section of the profile not work?

The problem with the letter is its too long. You really muddied up the point. You have to get to the point and stay on it.

The 12 volt battery, and the mfd is irrelevant in the grand scale of $$$ concerning getting this car back on the road. Your pleading your case with people who hear nothing but complaints. You only have a few sentences to make a point before you letter sails into the round file.

Here it is:

I brought the car to the dealer with a bad hybrid battery. My Car only has 61,000 miles. The dealer specifically told me I had 10 year warranty on the hybrid battery. Turns out the HYBRID warranty is actually only 8 years in my state but the dealer told me to bring it back after Christmas as they were very busy right then and in my doing so wasted my precious HYBRID warranty period by just days. I do not think this is fair! Please HELP!!!

Good Luck.

N.J.PRIUS, PriusCamper and uart like this.
  9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally don't think the letter is too long.

But I think we are entering an age where we've replaced quantity of communication and brevity, for quality of communication. If Mr Lentz can't handle the less than 60 seconds it takes any literate adult to read that letter, IMO the problem is his. It's descriptive, but illuminates the personal human struggle behind these incidents. I'm okay with the letter.

I would speculate the problem the OP might have is a "If A Tree Falls In The Woods And Nobody Is Around, Does It Make A Sound? " scenario. Since the OP say's :

" I then explained that the battery was actually under warranty when it failed as my Prius had been parked at the airport parking lot during that time."

It then becomes a if a Hybrid Battery isn't being used, and the vehicle isn't being driven has it "failed"? Or does failure actually only occur when it is actually discovered or when actual failure occurs during operation?

In any case, I think the time frame is so close, and so questionable given the misinformation given the OP concerning a 10 year warranty vs. 8 year, that Toyota imo should support the customer in this case.

A year ago, I would of confidently said I think they will. Today, I can only wish the OP luck, and say "Maybe".

JLP likes this.
  10. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car is registered in Florida. As of today my car is still with the dealership who apparently is working on the combo meter. The battery needs to be replaced. I did hear back from Toyota motor company 800 number that was most unhelpful. The letter did arrive at the CEO's office as I sent it with a tracking number. I have started to post this letter on other social media in hopes that they will acknowledge it and do the right thing. I really can't afford the cost of the battery. I am a student with no income. I bought the car for the gas mileage savings. I am going to pursue letting others know. I still have hope that they will make some arrangement. I had BMWs and Cadillacs before and they were amazing when things were out of their normal policy. Please all of your input is very much appreciated and any help circulating this story would be very helpful. Xo

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were literally days past your 8 year battery warranty, and told by the dealership you had a 10 year warranty, I don't see how Toyota doesn't help you.

But it is interesting to me, my impression of dealing with Toyota Customer Service was identical to yours. That is, that they exist only to back their "Regional Reps" decisions.

My input, and my Point of View as a Toyota Owner I never felt was taken into serious consideration. The most I could get out of Toyota Customer Service was a parroted script that they were backing the decision of the "factory rep" and The Dealership. In my case, it was clear the decision was made before I was even contacted.

I felt like it wasn't so much Toyota CUSTOMER service, as Toyota "Cover Their Own Butt" service.
    But admittedly my case was far more vague. I think your case is much more clear cut. I hope Toyota can be encouraged to do the right thing.

The key to me, is that you were operating with time running out on your warranty, but evidently were told by a Toyota Dealership Service Adviser that you had a 10 year warranty. Admitting later that it was a "mistake" doesn't cut it to me. There is really no excuse for a Toyota Dealership Service Adviser not to know the warranty length for the Hybrid Batteries on Prius sold at a dealership in his/her state.

Not too surprising though, as when I bought my Prius, and I live in a CARB state, I was told my warranty was 8 years by the salesman. I had to tell HIM he was wrong, that it was 10.

Toyota and individual dealerships NEED to know something that basic. There is no good excuse for a Service Adviser not knowing this.

JLP likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jlp. i just read another battery thread and the poster said he got toyota to pay for 80% of his out of warranty battery. you may want to search for this and pm him for advice. i think his last name was colwell, but not positive.

JLP likes this.
  13. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco can you tell me more about the thread so I can find it. I searched and many things came up. Seems that there is a bigger problem than I realized with the hybrid batteries....thank you

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks do!

16. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still in this conversation.. the dealer did own up to doing the combination meter recall and has paid for a rental car. I am still waiting to get through to TMC.. I am now going to contact the media

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you go girl!(y)

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stay on top of them. Don't make sense why they are refusing to help you. They have helped others by at least covering the cost of the battery or labor one. Not sure which way it went.

Don't forget about Mellors if you end up having to pay out of pocket. Good references from what I have heard and close by you.

19. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally did get some communication with Toyota Motor Company. They are offering 50% of the price of the battery... I have asked how they feel this is justified. They are going to get back to me ...based on the circumstances I am wondering what others on here feel...

Thanks.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just the battery, or battery and install?