1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unfortunate XMAS Present from Toyota: Refusal to cover warrantied propulsion battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JLP, Jan 3, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...think we need to hear bottom line how much $labor + $battery cost is being offered, but it sounds like they are not giving in much.

2. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Total cost but the install is very little

3. JLP

JLP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $3500 is total bill

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are more or less treating you like you are off warranty.
    Can you try the Mellors? They may give you various lower cost options.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the car have full Toyota dealer service history?

If so, then here in the UK Toyota will usually offer a good will replacement on major parts in cases such as yours. Infact, last January my inverter failed 10,000 miles outside warranty and the part was replaced for free - with me picking up the labour rates for installation. A situation I was happy with considering how far out of warranty I was.

However, if a car doesn't have full Toyota service then they do draw the line on the warranty date and mileage. One would still expect them to show some good will considering your failure was over the Christmas period when most dealers would have been closed.

There definitely seems a difference between warranty payments in the UK and the US. Here, Toyota bend over backwards to help - one of the reasons we're now a two Toyota household (despite the reliability issues my Prius has suffered!).