1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unfortunately had to cancel the order...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by FA6, Mar 24, 2017.

1. JonW

JonW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Primes are slowly starting to appear in Texas. Atleast according to Cars.com as I have not made the 60 mile trip up to Richardson (Northern part of Dallas) to see one in person. Looks like there is one in Houston as well. None of them within hundreds of miles are the color and trim I want besides mine is still on order at the closest dealer to me so I for one will continue to wait.

Gravediger likes this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prime is selling like crazy here in SoCal. I think the demand caught Toyota by surprise. And, like any company who plans how to market their product, the mid-west essentially is a truck or full-sized car area. They probably took a chance on not many people in Texas wanting a Prius. Obviously, the Prime is telling them otherwise. Wish you the best.

Bob Comer likes this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am still waiting to see one in the wild.

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen a couple over the last few months rollin around here in Nashville. I didn't know that they were so hard to come by.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've only seen one on the road, but there are plenty siting on dealers lots.

maybe toyota should have canned the cali rebate so sales would slow. then they could ship more to area's where the rebate is higher.

6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota is not really interested in how much plug-in rebates are where. They are only interested in how plug-in sales are contributing to satisfying clean-air compliance quotas, and this varies by state. The plug-in is something they sell because they have to, not because they expect it to be profitable, like they do for trucks and SUVs. In fact, they may well NOT want to make a sale that does not contribute to satisfying a compliance quota. Sales volume doesn't help if you aren't making a profit on each sale!

Toyota has made it clear that they believe the clean-air vehicle future to be in fuel-cell vehicles, not battery-based vehicles.

Perhaps I am being over-cynical, but that is the feeling I get.

#26 CharlesH, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  7. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't seen any in the wild yet either, even though the dealerships in the area have been moving them out.

8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think the reason you see a lot of cars in California and New York and related States, is that they are CARB States and auto manufacturers have to meet certain quotas of car sales there, particularly Plug-in hybrids, to comply.
    Several states follow the California Air Resources Board regulations for cars sold in those states. That rule, and the fact that most cars are sold in California is a big reason why Toyota has a lot of Primes here in California. California is the largest plug-in sales region in the United States with sales of approximately 270,000 cars in 2016.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

For the up-tenth time, please use multi quote. Merged again. Thanks @HPrimeAdvanced

Unfortunately, I think you're right, but I'm glad I participated in their cynical experiment 'cause the car IS Wonderful! My second fillup will probably be in another 1600 or 1700 miles!!! Totally changes my automotive experience. And so smooth and quiet, reminds me of the Jags I use to sell in '88, only reliable and quieter.

For the up-tenth time, please use multi quote. Merged again. Thanks @HPrimeAdvanced

I've seen half-a-dozen on the street here, in fact, just met one at a charging station under an apartment complex. Two days after I picked mine up, I was driving on the freeway alongside another one from the same dealership! They are definitely out here in SoCal!

#28 HPrimeAdvanced, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  9. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have seen 3 this week that aren't mine :D, and I have seen charging reports for various charge stations I am have considered cruising to stating that a Prime was the last car charged there. They are definitely selling up in the north east. But MA, ME and perhaps NH are all CARB participants so I am not surprised they got early stock of the vehicle. In fact the dealer I purchased from had already sold 5 when I bought mine. This may be more of the issue of the buyers in the south refusing the buy them until the demand really started to force their hands and now they are way down on the allocation table.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota was expecting only 30k sold the first year. This is very far from Corolla and Camry numbers. So it will take far longer for the Prime to reach all corners of the country like those models would. Then California and other CARB states are going to take priority because of the ZEV program, if there is higher than expected demand in those locations.

11. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Please, again, use multi quote. Merged back to back posts. @Sandollars

(Tongue in cheek....) I think they've sold that many in Orange county alone already!

#31 Sandollars, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  12. FA6

FA6 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have read and appreciate all the very thoughtful and useful comments.(y)
    Now looking at purchasing the Prime out of state and either trucking it or driving it back to the Lone Star State. :D

Color is changed to Mblue from Tglow as well.
    Still undecided between black vs moonstone interior:unsure:.

13. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    That was my solution since I live in rural Colorado. I ended up saving quite a bit of money even after the shipping charge and the process was pretty painless buying from a dealership in New York.

FA6 likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The hyperbole is strong in this one.:)

Since introduction in November, almost 5200 Primes have been sold. The reach 30k for the year, monthly sales will need to double.
    Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Not trying to be a downer, just want to set realistic expectations for those waiting for the Prime to arrive in their area or just spot one one the road. Considering production and sales volume, some might see the all new 2018 Camry before a Prime.

15. FA6

FA6 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    True.
    Well, with Toyota moving their HQ to Texas maybe we can twist their arm a bit to change things a little ;).

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just to clarify, it is Toyota USA that is relocating to Texas from California.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's truly a shame that these customers are not able to get the cars they want. Unfortunately it's really not Toyota's fault that they can't get those cars in those 41 non CARB States. If those non CARB states complied with the CARB rules (designed to reduce smog to a higher degree), then their citizens would be as lucky as the California and New Jersey and New York citizens and receive their allocation of plug-in hybrids like the Prime in a more evenly distributed manner. Blame the state governments, and the federal government, not Toyota. We're just lucky that in California, our state government cares more about its citizens than the governments of Texas, Louisiana, etc. If you want more of these gas-saving efficient well-engineered automobiles, you've got to scream and yell at your state government and now especially at the federal government which are all taking steps backward to screw the consumer.

@HPrimeAdvanced we just asked you a few posts above to please use multi quote and do not post back to back. Please stop doing it. Merged.

The Toyota California rebate for the Prime is only $1,000. The truly big incentives are the HOV stickers, the $1,500 cash rebate from the state of California, and the $4,500 federal tax credit. Add that to the aforementioned $1,000 rebate from Toyota, and this car is an absolute steal. Remember kids, this is a totally new car for Toyota and it is been remarkably trouble-free at least in my case. I have had absolutely no problems of any kind and have been extremely pleased by the unexpected fantastic mileage on the all-electric mode. Had I been living in Texas, God forbid like my sisters, I would have flown to California, bought the car here and driven it back to Texas. I'm still thinking about driving my Prime to Texas to visit my sisters, if I can get over my medical problems.

Merged.

You are absolutely on the money. I've heard the same from Toyota insiders vis a vis plug-ins; they view them as stopgap solutions to state laws in the 9 CARB states. The problem is that they're wrong! You need to keep plug-in hybrids to maintain gasoline sales so the Super Powerful oil companies can stay in business. Believe me, I worked for Chevron for 3 years, there's no way they're going to stand by while we obsolesce their product. The electric mode of the plug-in hybrid helps you have a cleaner car with the option to favor electric use in the car. If everyone were using plug-in hybrids, you could raise the price of gas to $10-$15/gallon so oil companies can keep profitable and raising gas taxes to be used to repair our disastrous infrastructure. You wouldn't have to be that aggressive, but you get the idea.

What do you mean, "multi quote, merged again" ? And how do you do it? I don't know what that means. Where can I find out. I don't usually blog.

#37 HPrimeAdvanced, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    EV-ish and FA6 like this.
  18. FA6

FA6 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, I am going to be a one man campaign in my hometown:mad:.
    This car should sell itself if people just find out more about it.

I am glad I went the extra step to get it.
    Found a blue with moonstone all the way up in VT !

Was thinking of driving it down myself but it is close to 1900 miles so wisely chickened out and having it shipped instead.:)

Bob Comer and Prius from Dad like this.
  19. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Congrats and good luck. Which did you get? I have a Premium and am loving it! Moved up from a 2012 v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. Only the 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation)

FA6 likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool!!! I'm glad you went for it. FWIW, my used PiP came from New Hampshire.

FA6 likes this.