1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unhappy with aftermarket Leather Seats

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SandyPW, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Kermit262

Kermit262 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I paid $1347.00 to the dealer for Katzkin "factory spec" leather. That included driver and passenger heated seats. I'm very satisfied with the way they turned out - I can't tell the difference between factory and Katzkin, though I haven't really compared.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They did not use Katzkin - I'm surprised - because Coach is an Authorized distributor / installer of Katz.

You got some random aftermarket thing - most dealers use Katz.

Another big part of Katz is they carry something like $10,000,000 liability insurance on the seat airbags.

This dealer is likely using something more cheap - and you will probably see the same thing in all their cars. You could also just call Coach and ask them directly.

Going Katz price is around $700 for seat kits, and $350 - $400 to install it... Takes around 2 hours start to finish...

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a IV that comes standard with leather and it has the zippers on the rear also. But, just not in the same place and as big. It doesn't look that bad. Just as long as they are good quality and fit. Then it would be okay. It takes a couple of days backed in the sun to fit to the seat. Take a picture of what the seat looks like...the front of it.

4. SandyPW

SandyPW New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes - Both front seats -

5. SandyPW

SandyPW New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK - so just got back from the dealer....when I got there I talked to the manager & he showed me one that was on the showroom floor that was factory leather and it had small zippers ( about 4 inches ) at the bottom and they were very inconspicuous. I then showed him my seats and he was very taken back and said he had never seen any done that way. I now have a appointment with the dealer and the shop that did the leather on Monday to have it fixed. The dealer assured me that they would make me happy. Since the sales rep told me that the aftermarket leather was just as good as (and sometimes better than) the factory leather when I was trying to make up my mind if I should spend the extra 1,500.00, I plan to have them make good on their claim. Thanks again to everyone - I was able to go into the discussion with the dealer much more informed-

6. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, my IV also has two 8" zippers on either side of the pouch. Didn't even notice them until they were mentioned here.

7. SandyPW

SandyPW New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No - does not seem to be

8. NickinVA

NickinVA Not saving the world, just gas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That statement is ridiculous, and borderline insulting to the OP. As many here will attest, aftermarket leather is frequently superior in quality to factory interiors, even on very high end luxury cars (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc.). If the OP presses the dealer (which it sounds like she is), she will get an excellent result.

My aftermarket leather is both thicker, and more plush than the factory version. That equates to a more comfortable seat, and superior durability.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice to hear that communication seems to of led to a situation where you might reach a good resolution to the issue.

You're lucky that the manager is "taken aback" and is siding with you. However my follow up question to the manager would be, as the manager of the dealership shouldn't he be familiar with what is being installed in the vehicles he is selling? Why is he surprised? His own dealership is the seller of the product. The time to know what aftermarket leather is being sold in your dealership and determine if it meets your standards as a manager, is before you sell it to customers. But you get more flies with honey...so being combative might not be in your best interest...

But it is great that evidently they want to make you happy and are working towards that end. That's what dealerships should do. But I think you dodged a bullet, because often they do not..

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When a person is doing what you want, don't start the blame game or a line of accusatory questioning.

It's like paper training a puppy, you don't scold it when it has just peed where you wanted it to pee.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I agree. I said, you get more flies with honey so it probably wasn't in the OP's best interest to be combative. So yes, I would give the dealership the chance to make me happy and be happy they were evidently working to make that happen. BUT personally, I would be asking myself that question, even if I decided it was something I was going to bring up in dealing with the dealership.

But it sounds like perhaps the OP has a decent manager and a decent dealership working with her...unfortunately a rarity in these days.

12. Coach Automotive KC

Coach Automotive KC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Due to the conversation about the aftermarket Prius leather, I would like to clear up a few things. This information will be useful to anyone who has purchased, or is contemplating purchasing aftermarket seat covers.

First of all, we are a licensed Katzkin installer and distributor. We use the Katzkin product line exclusively. Our educated dealers and customers know that Katzkin is the best aftermarket interior available. We are the only licensed Webasto-Hollandia inbuilt sunroof installer in the KC area. These roofs are not only used by Toyota, but by almost every major automotive manufacturer in the world. Webasto-Hollandia is also one of the few companies that produce OEM and aftermarket sunroofs out of the same facilities, which are located in Europe and North America. Visit Webasto's website for more information. The information regarding our sunroof line has been included as a post suggested we do not use the products we say we do. It’s especially important these days to know what is being installed in your vehicle. That is why we welcome dealers and customers to take a walk through our installation facility and observe the shelving stacked with Katzkin’s product line as well as Webasto’s sunroofs.

Let me return to the discussion the on the Prius. We use Katzkin's product line exclusively due to:
    A) Safety Testing- Katzkin has conducted airbag deployment testing through MGA research.
    B) Katzkin is MOPAR approved. Some Jeep Commanders and Wranglers come with Katzkin leather from the factory. This is listed on the invoice sticker.
    C) Katzkin is Ford approved for the complete product line of Ford vehicles.

Manufacturers use Katzkin products because:
    1) Safety
    2) Quality

I have not noticed much mention of safety on this thread. I am unsure as to why posters would suggest this is not Katzkin product, as they are quite mistaken. I wonder where their miseducation originates. Regarding the zipper concern, there are, in fact, zippers on the rear sides of the front leanbacks. However, the factory cloth has zippers as well. The zippers on the Katzkin covers have been extended further up the seatbacks. I consulted the head of Katzkin’s patterning department, as I trust these intricate designs have a method to their madness. The explanation is that they have been extended so it is easier to install the cover while attaching airbag straps to the frame of the seat. This makes perfect sense to me. We do not interfere with safety features, such as side impact airbags.

This brings me to my next point, as one post suggested that it wouldn’t be wise to have someone “removing your seats and risk screwing up one of the many sensors?†Also, we DO NOT cover over factory cloth. When we complete an install, there are several steps we take to ensure a successful install:
    1) Remove seats, and remove door panels and console cover (if cloth).
    2) Carefully strip cloth covers off seats and interior parts.
    3) Work around sensing systems- these are different from one vehicle to the next, as well as from one manufacturer to another.
    4) Reinstall recovered seats and other parts, including door panels and console pieces.

The reasons listed above are why we use our products (Katzkin Leather Interiors and Webasto Sunroofs). We look at each install as our reputation being on the line. This is why we are the #1 aftermarket leather and sunroof installer in Kansas City, and one of the top installers in the Midwestern region.

Gary Seiden
    Coach Automotive Restylers, LLC
    Managing Member

4 people like this.
  13. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Clearly, as posted by Coach, my post was incorrect. I looked again at my seats, and there *is* a zipper. I say again - because I did not notice it when looking (and still hardly do - but my finger nail running vertical shows the zipper at a seem).

As I've posted many times, I think the Katzkin covers are amazing - and possibly (compared to a neighbors car), better than the originals (I've only had the upgraded Tuscany option - which costs more)...

I've done (2) 2010s with Coach (Orange Co), and per all my posts, they are amazing, and are the defacto standard...

My first one was well over a year ago (when the 2010 was new), and the guy working on my car knew everything about it.

Sorry for any confusion...

As a side note, it is amazing that you can cut in a factory looking sunroof on a sloped surface... Both times I had my seats installed, they were putting in sunroofs (not in a Prius) - they pull all the roofing out, which includes all the plastic panels up to the roof. If you got a sunroof + seats, your car gets almost gutted (interior wise). Knowing the car, I believe they would pull every plastic (but the dash and bottom door trim).

They did not add - they also do Audio/Video system upgrades - which I would trust.

Personally, I really like the work - and love my outcomes... Your mileage may vary...

14. SandyPW

SandyPW New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Follow-up on the on going seat saga..... I spoke to the dealer again on Monday and he put me in-touch Gary from Coach (in post above) who explained everything to me and was extremely nice and understanding about my concern, so I am satisfied that my seats are correct and safe, and even though I totally get the reason for the zippers now - I still think they are a bit ugly and am disappointed in the outcome.

I did tell the dealership that the fact that I was told that the aftermarket leather was exactly like the factory, was misleading and they agreed and promised to compensate me in some way for the miscommunication - very good of them & I will certainly recommend them as a very customer-satisfaction driven dealership. Lessons learned on both sides, I think

Maybe because I am a designer by trade and am very focused on the visual balance and the aesthetic design of things, that this bothers me more than most - I will have to learn to love my big unbalanced zippers!

15. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The seats look awful - your initial reaction was appropriate. If the zippers are in there "to make installation easier" this sure as heck isn't reflected in the price you paid.

I feel for you.

16. chrisrh

chrisrh New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a show room floor Honda Accord with after maret leather seats. I had no idea I had zippers (vertical) on the back of the seats. I guess all have them. My seats are dark grey so the zippers seam are hardly noticeable.

17. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am considering buying a level 3 with solar roof and buying after market heated leather seats rather than going up to the level 4 to get the heated leather seats. I live in the Bay Area and I am thinking of buying the car in Southern California as the prices seem to be a lot better down there. I could either have the dealer do the leather seat installation there or have it done when I return home to the Bay Area.

1) Any recommendations for leather seat installation in the Bay Area? (From reading the above thread it seems like it would be better to have the seat installation done closer to home in case I am not completely happy with it.)

2) Also, when you buy the after market heated seats from the dealer do they do it in house or do they take the car somewhere to get it done?

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are getting a car from Dianne you can have the dealer install the Katzkin seat covers and wrap it into your loan. I think it runs around $1200 without warmers. If you want to do it yourself you can get a set of seat heaters from eBay and a set of Clazzio seat covers. The whole deal will cost less than $500 and is very high quality.

orenji likes this.