1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration of my Treadmill

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Southern Dad, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When my Wii Fat proclaimed me to obese, I resisted the initial urge to introduce the Wii Hammer as a new accessory. I decided it was time to do something about my 228 lbs at 6'1" and 45 years old. I purchased a Sportcraft Tredex 6.0 treadmill off Craigslist. Obviously, I should have read the reviews and lists of recalls for this product.

Over the last 45 days I got out of the chair when on the computer and got on the treadmill. I shed 13 pounds. Sunday morning while I was cruising along at my usual 2.5 mph and surfing the Internet the treadmill accelerated to 10 mph without warning! Luckily, I had the safety attached and it stopped when I pulled it.

Not dissuaded, I've picked a treadmill by another manufacturer. I have to say, check those reviews. Sudden acceleration is NOT fun.
    [​IMG]

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What better way to shed those nasty unwanted pounds quickly. It knew that you were ready to stop taking baby steps, and run like the wind!

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good job shedding the extra pounds!

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you sure you weren't applying the brakes at the time, and the temporary loss of braking power as the system switched from regen to... sorry, I guess I have seen too many of those posts.

Be sure to post some before and after pics, a al Vic Taney, so we all will be influenced to follow your example. =)

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it was operator error. The OP probably pushed the speed button when he intended to change the incline.

:p

So why didn't the OP call 911, wait for an officer to come out and cut the power to his house, and then sue the manufacturer of the treadmill?

Tom

6. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I bought a treadmill earlier this year I did a lot of shopping around. I started to go the Craigslist route, but I decided that would be more trouble than it was worth. I wound up getting a sweet deal on a Sole F-80 from Sears (paid $1100 out the door). Has been an excellent treadmill except the fans on the console stopped working. I am going to be giving the a call to RMA the console, but other than that it has been flawless with no unintended acceleration issues.. To me it looks like you got one of those Wal-Mart treadmills. I went and looked at those as well. Can't beat the price on them, but I was unsure of quality issues down the road. I just wanted to buy 1 treadmill and be done with it.

7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Maybe the floor mat got caught under the accelerator? :pound:

8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Isn't this the type of thing that NASA should be called upon to investigate?

1 person likes this.
  9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully it won't do anything like this:

2 people like this.
  10. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We got a free treadmill... pretty basic, and someday hope to replace it with a good one, but for now, it's working...

1 person likes this.
  12. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One day I'd like to have one of those Life Cycle expensive models but for now, I have to prove to myself that this one isn't a waste of money. Too many people buy them and start using them as clothes hangers. Maybe it will be a reward if I drop a certain amount of pounds.

2 people like this.
  13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Never get down on your hands and knees on a malfunctioning treadmill. :eek:

I bought my present treadmill from Sears about 8 or 9 years ago. There have been periods when I didn't use it much, due to health issues, but for most of that time, I've used it regularly. Sometimes I use it to walk up a 10 or 12% grade, but mostly I jog on a level grade. At one time I only jogged on a treadmill in winter, but when I was having heart problems and sometimes had to stop early, I got into the habit of using it year around, so as not to be stuck a mile from home. At present I'm using the exercise bike more than the treadmill, but I hope and expect that will switch as I get closer to my goal weight. And if I really am just too old to jog any more, I still got 6 or 7 good solid years of use out of the treadmill.

I used my previous treadmill, when I lived in rural North Dakota, only on days when there was snow or ice on my road. When the road was dry, I'd jog out of doors in any temperature; though towards the end I quit going outside if the wind chill factor was colder than 20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. I was hardier then than I am now.

2 people like this.
  14. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hahahaha.... I love this vid. Seen it many times, laugh my butt off every time I see it.

1 person likes this.