1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration Tragedy in New Haven

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by kgall, Nov 20, 2011.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many folks have probably heard about the accident at the Harvard Yale game in New Haven yesterday: Here's the latest from washingtonpost.com:
    Attorney for Yale student driving truck in fatal tailgating crash says vehicle malfunctioned

I hypothesize that it may turn out to be a case of a driver not being familiar with the vehicle (a u haul rental truck), and accidentally pressing the accellerator, but we don't know yet.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Unintended Accelleration Tragedy in New Haven

when you see a rental truck, you usually see an inexperienced truck driver. get out the way!

3. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I can agree with that. Rental truck = disaster... People usually in a hurry cause they do not plan, and wait till the last minute. I have paced rental trucks doing 85+ on the highways. If they had a blow out at those speeds it would almost be certain serious injury for them and any small cars they hit... Is why I stay away. Heck is bad enough with the 18 wheeler drivers dozing off and swerving from lane to lane.. Is why whenever I come up to one I slow down, observe for a couple minutes, and when it looks like it will stay tracking straight I zoom by as fast as I can on the open lane then slow back to the posted limit.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Not necessarily. I've driven rental trucks four times:

The first was one time I moved. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than hiring movers and my friends could help me load/unload. Everything was planned out about a month in advance, including getting a reservation with uHaul.

The second was helping my sister move (about an hour and a half drive). She had just graduated college and obviously didn't have the money to hire movers. We planned everything out several months in advance so I could get plane tickets to fly out there and back on the appropriate days.

The third time was moving some heavy equipment for a high school robotics team I work with. Large cast-iron equipment that probably weighed 1000lbs. We needed a truck with an adjustable lift in the back so we could wheel the items on and off with a pallet jack. Again, we planned everything out about a month in advance.

The last time was helping my sister move again - this time across country. Everything (including route and a hotel stop along the way) was planned out several months in advance so I could arrange plane tickets for the long weekend.

None of the times I've used them have been last minute or in a rush - all were fully planned and thought out, and the decision to use a rental truck was based on either the requirements of the trip or on the price of the alternatives.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Difference is, the New Haven tragedy was Feddy Frat Rat hauling a truck full of beer and booze to a tailgate party.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

OK, so we have Harvard, Yale, Football, Frats, Party and Alcohol. The Lawyers will sue the Victims and the Rental Co.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

There is too much truth in what you said.

8. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    looks like he was going too fast on the grass and couldn't stop in time

9. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And what was the driver's blood alcohol level? When it comes to college students, that's the main constant for culpability when it comes to grave mistakes such as this (not how much of a speed demon a rental truck could be, or how wet the grass was).

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes, believe it or not, machines malfunction. Not necessarily because of some design flaw or maintenance issue, just because they do.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you hear hoof beats, think horse, not zebra.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Except when fully engineered not to. If you look at the reliability levels of commercial passenger aircraft, those are truly impressive numbers. I've read volumes of aircraft accident and incident reports. Not a single case of "required arbitrary malfunction" was ever found to be the problem.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Malfunction of left seat actuator here perhaps?

14. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plus, the few times I've driven a U-haul, I never felt that accidentally hitting the gas pedal would have "unintended acceleration"...quite the oposite, I've found I've had to really push the pedal to have any acceleration (weighed down with furniture granted...depends on the number of kegs as far as equivalent or even exceeding).

15. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have rented a truck once or twice, and I felt I was not nearly as safe driving it as driving a car, and not because I was going too fast. That's why I stay away from rental trucks as much as I can.

In this case, it doesn't appear to have been alcohol related--the kid passed the field sobriety tests.

Thus far, it seems like it could be truck malfunction or driver thinking he was stepping on the brake when he stepped on the accellerator, or not being able to stop on grass.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't a commercial aircraft.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No, but peoples lives depend on it just the same as it were a commercial aircraft.

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So your point is...?

Excuse me, I'm taking my car in for its annual.

19. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The statement "machines malfunction" is not a universal truth.

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1

I have rented many trucks from U-Haul and Penske. The U-Haul's are typically high mileage and very worn. You just have to know this and be extra cautious when driving. I have never had an issue while driving these on the highway or around town. You just have to be aware of the equipment you are driving and your surroundings and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles.

Now frat boys and rental equipment I can see as a problem waiting to happen :rolleyes: