1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration -- While Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by evpv, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll give you an example. Several members and I have attempted to educate you on the false perception of UA during the regen to braking transition when going over potholes, and I even mentioned Bob Wilson's data pointing to this, but all you're countering with is "Have you read the so many reports describing it as UA?"

If you actually took Toyota Recalls Put into Context by Edmunds.com — Edmunds.com into consideration, why are we continuing to get posts like Toyota: Most Complaints by Manufacturer by Wide Margin from you?

You're obviously biased and have an agenda driven by an overwhelming desire to prove your friend right.

3 people like this.
  2. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like everyone has stated their opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What is the sense in continuing the discussion? If you think nothing is wrong with the Prius, then buy one or if you have one keep driving it. If you think there is something wrong with the Prius, don't buy one or if you have one then get rid of it. Seems fairly simple to me.

3. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, it appears NASA found nothing, going by what others have posted. And, the NHTSA info I was using was adjusted to account for number of cars sold, not overall complaints. That would seem to be a much more accurate measure to me. Here's the link:

NHTSA Data Dive 3: 117 Models Ranked By Rate Of UA Incidents | The Truth About Cars

As I said, there are UA complaints on all models of cars. Toyota certainly had issues with the floor mats and pedal, which seem to be fixed. Listening to you, you'd think the Prius was far and away the worst, and a deathmachine. And, you are discounting all the many posters that have contributed here, many who have researched and discussed this at length. It appears you have just started looking into this. Clearly, you have an agenda. My suggestion is to get rid of your Prius as soon as you can, and get an old car without an electronic throttle control. Nothing anyone says here makes a bit of difference to you.

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    After reading all of these postings, I agree with you the OP has an agenda.
    I believe his is trying to find fault with the Prius on UA to support his friend's claim of UA such as not to accept responsibility for the parking crash for insurance purpose.

5. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I supply links to research, government sites, law suits, registered owners complaints, Toyota studies, statistical analysis etc. And you call my argument anecdotal and based on junk science.

You supplied an opinion and a non-linked "study" by someone named Bob Wilson. Is that your definition of an "eductation"?

Read the links more closely. Toyota ranks 17th in overall complaints, not just for unintended acceleration. But for unintended acceleration Toyota ranks #1 by a wide margin.

6. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're entitled to that opinion. But my agenda, if you want to call it that, is clearly stated in my original post.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're more than happy to supply only the links (mostly anecdotal and junk science) that attempt to support your agenda, yet refuse to do a search within this forum for a well known, respected poster with hard data. Is this your definition of "unbiased research?"

As I already mentioned very early in this thread, this is expected as Toyota has been the subject of an intense media hysteria made worse by our government. Pepsi ranked #1 by a wide margin for needles found in their cans but that doesn't make it true. Same goes with the iPhone regarding the death grip. Try again.

8. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great point too. In the middle of the UA hysteria, this little old lady around here drove her Camry into a funeral home. She said, of course, that the car took off on her! Funny, since it's died down, you don't hear too many of those stories anymore.

9. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not true. I supplied the Toyota SMART link, a link to the 56 page Exponent test paid for by Toyota, the preliminary report data submitted by NASA/NHTSA etc etc.

So now you backpeddle to a stance that Toyota is a victim. Let me guess, the US government is trying to hurt Toyota so American car companies get more market share. It's surprising they singled out Toyota but didn't bother with Honda etc. And it's also surprising because Toyota manufactures most of their US market vehicles here in America, made by American workers. And is the media in on it too? I see a lot of Toyota commercials on TV, seems to me they wouldn't want to hurt one of their biggest sources of revenue. And you accuse me of using anecdotal evidence?

10. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's only simple if you don't already own one. Just don't buy one.

But what should my friend do? He believes his Prius is defective and unsafe. Toyota says it can't find the problem. So the government hired NASA to study the problem, but that report isn't finished. In the meantime, he has a crashed car sitting at a Toyota dealership. He doesn't want it back, Toyota says too bad. He has to pay to have it repaired or sell it. If he sells it to Toyota, they offer about half of the selling price for a 6 car that's only six months old. If he sells it to a private party he is legally obligated to disclose the crash information to the buyer, which will greatly reduce the resale value. The state of California has an ongoing class action law suit regarding loss of resale value for Toyota cars that have experienced unintended acceleration, but that suit is not finished yet.

Give me your best suggestion on what you would do in his position.

11. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought one last thurdsay. But, if I really thought the car was unsafe and ran a high risk of killing or harming me because of this issue, then I would figure out a way to get rid of it, regardless of the cost associated.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yet you're doing a nice job of ignoring them in your overall conclusion, instead relying more extremely on junk research proposed by Gilbert et al.

I never backpeddled; I clearly stated it very early in this thread and yes, I don't deny they're anecdotal. Do you really think Secretary of Transporation LaHood would have said "People ought to stop driving their GM immediately and take them to the dealer" after they wasted millions of taxpayer money bailing out the U.S. auto industry? Unfortunately, it's not just foreign companies but successful companies. Apple and Pepsi were also victims of media hysteria and they're both successful American companies.

Anecdotal evidence aside, there's still no hard evidence suggesting that UA is a real issue.

13. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    EXACTLY! Pretty simple stuff. Again, you clearly have an agenda, and have listened to NOTHING anyone has said here, even though these are educated owners that have been through all of this before. This thread has served no purpose whatsoever, other than to completely deplete all of your credibility. I actually feel much better about my Prius now, and will surely buy another.

14. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OK, I searched for Bob Wilson but the first thread I read was this one:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...nintended-uncommanded-acceleration-issue.html

I think the thread was originally titled "My Prius Tried To Kill Me" but got changed to "Help diagnosing unintended uncommanded acceleration issue." And so I took the time to read 28 pages regarding a gentleman who experienced unintended acceleration in his Gen 2 Prius three times in 30,000 miles. He was called a troll etc many times, but continued to add content to the thread. When all was said and done, Toyota never found the problem. From his comments, he gave up on his Prius and it looked like he was going to trade in his car to get a Prius V, hoping, as he said, that Toyota had the problems fixed. But now his profile shows "other hybrid" as his car.

That didn't help.

15. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, other than the fact that I have indeed listened to what they've said and responded to their questions numerous times in this thread, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and accept your conclusion that I've listened to NOTHING.

So, please, sum up what I should have heard. Just a clear statement of the obvious facts that I've missed or ignored.

16. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My basic conclusion is that there is so much buzz about Unintended Acceleration that it doesn't seem very plausible for your "100% driver error" theory to be correct.

And I'm curious why you and many others are so defensive about it. Software glitches happen. It seems like a lot of intelligent people believe more research is needed. NASA has been called in to investigate. What's the point of you being so defensive about it?

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nylion did get a V with ATP but got rid of it for a 2010 370Z because he missed the fun of driving.

I'm not saying UA does not exist in a Toyota at all (and there have been recalls to correct the problem mechanically, stuck floor mats, etc.), but the vast majority of them stem from driver errors and people blaming Toyota. There was also so much buzz about needles in Pepsi cans but it doesn't mean those cans actually contained needles!

18. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The "defensiveness" comes from irritation over your shift in "burden of proof." Not one single incident of SUA has been proven in any Toyota. Not one "software glitch" has been documented. Any number of self-serving anecdotal stories does not shift the burden to Toyota. A logical exercise requires that you provide proof- which no "story" can do.

NHTSA called in NASA because they couldn't find any problem, and NHTSA really tried. In order to insure the truth got out two of their employees had to secure whistleblower protection against Administrator Strickland (a Ralph Nader disciple as are all of the other anti-Toyota "experts").

3 people like this.
  19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhhhh, my point exactly! For a while there it was viral! What it's turning out to be is all talk, but no substance.

20. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there was anything this serious wrong with any car, it would be documented and proven, by someone somewhere. The fact that it is a Toyota would surely expedite that process. This has been a highly publicised topic for over a year, and nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.