1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration -- While Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by evpv, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know. Sadly just like all other automakers, Toyota also get their fair share of inexperienced, ill-equipped, incompetent, (shall I go on?) drivers too! Sometime I wish they would find something mechanically wrong or a software bug because in the absence of finding anything, it's scares the "h...l" out me knowing there are many, many people out there who should NOT be allowed to drive.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'electronic gremlins' the new amc?

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen a video filmed in a gen2 Prius showing a woman holding the gas pedal and moving, she keeps applying the gas pedal, then applies the brake. The result is the car goes to idle and slows down.

This lawsuit claims Toyota had not installed brake override into vehicles.

Does the mentioned video not clearly demonstrate brake override in the Prius?

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco,
    can you provide a link to into showing Dr. Gilbert's finding was discredtied?

TIA

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't but someone probably can or you can google. turns out, what he did to get the prius accelerator to move also had the same effect on other cars with similar electronic accelerators. so, it wasn't a prius 'glitch'. and no one could see a time when it could happen in a real driving situation.

1 person likes this.
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  7. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The article I posted was actually the reply to Toyota's attempt to discredit his findings. Toyota claims the test was unfair because it also caused problems with other vehicles. But, of course, other vehicles with electronic throttle control also have been reported to have software glitches. So, if the glitches happen, they don't just happen to Toyotas.

Here is the Toyota video:

Toyota Recall Videos ? Third-Party Analysis of David Gilbert's Congressional Testimony

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct. and yet, for some reason, not enought for nhtsa or congress to demand a change in electronic accelerator design.:confused:

9. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will re-phrase. You may have listened, but clearly ignored. You came in with an agenda against the Prius, and all you've done is speak against them. That's all your responses have been. You didn't speak to my information at all showing the Prius coming in at #26 of UA complaints based on the number sold. I started reading these posts because it is an interesting subject, but you are just a broken record. Debate is not your strong suit. Tell your "friend" to get rid of his Prius fast, and go troll on another board.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm reading post # 29 from yardman link below, and he talks about trying to cancel the cruise control by hitting the brake.

I guess if you're heading towards stopped traffic that is the thing to do.

The cuise control can be canceled by pulling the stalk towards you (I'm sure pretty much everyone knows this), but if you cancel it with switch with foot off the accelerator, car will immediately slow down

So, if I don't need to slow, I press on the accelerator while canceling with the control switch to make a smooth transition off cruise control.

11. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I believe the point of the NASA investigation is to determine if there are problems and if changes are needed. Even though you think it has, that report has not been finished or published.

12. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting take on this thread. Try this, go back to the start of the thread and see how many pages you have to go through before you find a single negative thing I said about a Prius. Then post the quote.

You didn't originally ask me to comment on the filtered report you published, but since you ask now I will comment. By their own admission they deleted all complaints from 9/30/2009 to present. For the 2010 Prius, that pretty much deletes all of the complaints, which doesn't make the report accurate or relevant to what we are talking about in this thread. The most accurate information can easily be obtained by going the the NHTSA and find complaints as recent as December 2010. Doing that will put the 2010 Prius back in the top 5 for unintended acceleration complaints.

I answered your question, now I ask you to reply to my question:

"So, please, sum up what I should have heard. Just a clear statement of the obvious facts that I've missed or ignored."

13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They are suing for recovery of damages that have already been paid. Reimbursement would include claims paid for vehicles that were damaged before Toyota instituted the recalls and updates.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A Catch-22 as the media hysteria have skewed the results (especially after Sikes's stunt). Pepsi being in the top 5 for complaints regarding needles found in their cans means nothing either. Let's see the hard evidence.

15. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there could be 100,000 unintended acceleration complaints for the 2010 Prius and you would still believe they were all driver error. So none of these reports mean anything to you.

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Correct, especially in light of the media frenzy and in the absence of any proof of SUA or software glitch that led to it. Just as 100,000 reports of needles in Pepsi cans mean nothing in the absence of physical evidence.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't gone back and read the entire thread but one thing that I have not seen mentioned (excuse me if it has) is the fact that after the media frenzy at the first of the year, Toyota put together a team of engineers to investigate UA allegations, I believe they called it the Tiger team. Every one that they investigated ended up being driver error. Once the word was out that Toyota was investigating each allegation, the frenzy suddenly died down to a murmur. Yours is the first post on this subject that I have seen on here in quite some time.

How do you explain this?

18. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since acceleration and braking is controlled by a computer chip in the Prius, there could be a "race condition". Where pressing the accelerator and then quickly press the brake (after releasing accelerator) can cause the chip to become confuse etc.

Over 20 years ago, there was the Therac incident caused by a race condition in the logic chip. It was caused when the operator moved through the menu interface too quickly and caused the machine to administer overdose of radiation to patients.

Race conditions are VERY hard to track down especially in logic chips and in the Prius, many variables would affect it that it is extremely difficult to isolate.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's nasa, i'm not waiting for their report to drive my rius again!;)

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering your stance on global warming I wouldn't expect you to believe anything NASA puts out for publication. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.