1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration -- While Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by evpv, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's 'brake' not 'break'

The brake is the system that stops a moving vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  2. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since you've mentioned the Pepsi Syringe Panic of 1993 about 10 times in this thread so far...

Pepsi's response is viewed as a shining example of how a company should respond to a crisis situation.

The Pepsi Challenge: managing a crisis - product tampering case at Pepsi Cola General Bottlers Inc. Pepsi Cola Bottling Co | Prepared Foods | Find Articles at BNET

The keys to Pepsi's success:

1. Develop an open relationship with the government agency in charge of the investigation.
    2. Cooperate fully with that goverment agency.
    3. Assure consumers that safety is guiding your actions.
    4. Communicate quickly and often. Give people the facts. Trust that reason and logic will prevail. Speak with one voice so that informed employees get the message out.
    5. Make it easy for the media to report the facts with right timing and providing the right tools.

Pepsi took a bad situation and turned it around quickly by being honest and giving indisputable facts. The proved the syringes couldn't have been in the cans when they were shipped from the factories.

And what about Toyota? Based on that list it's easy to see that Toyota has will probably be used as a shining example of how NOT to handle a crisis situation.

1. They developed an adversarial relationship with the US government:

"Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in testimony that preceded Toyoda's that the company was "safety deaf," a problem he laid on the company's failure to communicate between its headquarters in Japan and its corporate staff in North America. He said the company wasn't taking the current safety problems seriously until he dispatched a senior aid to Japan late last year."

Toyoda tells consumers: 'I am deeply sorry' | StarTribune.com

2. Toyota did not cooperate with the government. In fact, they were caught trying to manipulate the government into favorable treatment of the recalls:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-02-21-toyota-recall-documents_N.htm

3. Rather than assure their customers they were working as hard as possible to test the safety of their vehicles, Toyota developed an adversarial relationship. They blamed customers for unintended acceleration problems, claiming that the electronics weren't the cause, yet proceeded to recall 8 million vehicles:

Toyota Blames Drivers for Some Sudden Acceleration Cases - DailyFinance

Toyota Blames the Victims (TM)

Toyota often sent out "Sorry, no coverage" letters that failed to explain their testing proceedures beyond just testing the brake pads and taking a test drive. In a life threatening situation the customers deserve a better explanation than a simple once-over by the garage mechanic:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/d...Correspondence/2010/EVOQ/EQ-10350746-6991.pdf

The result, class action lawsuits.

http://www.jpml.uscourts.gov/_Mats/WinMATS Pleadings/2172/MDL 2172 Pleading 7.pdf

Toyota blamed their dealerships for the floor mat problem:

http://www.newser.com/story/108237/toyota-settles-runaway-lexus-crash-for-10m.html

4. Toyota did not respond quickly and openly about the unintended acceleration problems. The NHTSA has logged complaints for a decade about the same basic problems. It took fatalities and intense coverage from the media to provoke action. Even then, Toyota was fined $48.8 million in 2010 for their failure to respond quickly to the safety regulations:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6899fda-0cb4-11e0-a28a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1AKc1WvYT

5. Toyota has failed in the media. Their denial of problems and shifting of blame doesn't mesh with millions of recalled cars and millions of dollars in fines. Toyota basically conceded the fact that they couldn't find the root of the problem, so the government had to step in and use taxpayer money to have NASA research the problem. That kind of a situation will make headlines every time.

Toyota should have been more open with the Electronic Data Recorder information. They held the data back until just this year. It makes the media wonder what they were hiding. It makes insurance companies suspicous, so they file law suits. It makes customers unsure of Toyota's commitment to do the right thing.

If Toyota really wants to provide indisputable evidence that all of the unintended acceleration cases are caused by driver error they should install an infrared camera that records the footwell. It will either show the foot on the gas, or a glitch in the software that caused the throttle to be applied while the brake was being pressed. Indisputable.

[​IMG]

And if you think it's too far-fetched, research proposed bill AB1942 on Google. If you think it's too expensive, consider the fact that safety is the issue. How much do we already pay for airbags, ABS, EBD, etc.? Customers already spend $2,000 for something like Nav or a solar roof. An infrared camera would cost Toyota about $10. Toyota has already had to pay $48 million in fines this year, with more on the way. That would buy a lot of cameras.

Attached Files:

• VDR.jpg
      VDR.jpg
      File size:
      65.9 KB
      Views:
  3. 2010prius5

2010prius5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All I can say is that not everyone is lying and not everyone is making mistakes while driving. What I reported at the 1500 mile mark in owning my new 2010 Prius 5 was quite unsettling.

While in Econ mode, semi warmed car, driven 45 minutes prior, I was baking out of my garage towards parked cars. Foot riding break as it slowly backed out down tiny incline. ICE kicked in right as front tires passed thresh hold of garage door. I seemed to accelerate backwards towards parked cars. Foot had NEVER been on accelerator and brakes completely cutout. I instantaneously released/pumped brakes one time and brakes immediately re-engaged. It is as if computer controlled brakes needed to be reset after ICE started. Again, very unsettling and did not sit pretty with me for a while after just missing the car parked behind me outside of my garage. There is not a chance the accelerator was touched, as my foot rocked back on it's heel and just reapplied the brake. Not a chance in the world. In addition, I am a commercial airline pilot, very cautious with operating equipment, and certain of my operation of mechanical devices. I did post it immediately here, but the response someone posted was in terms and systems that this car has that I was unfamiliar with. My point is simply this. It should not have happened. It was as if I had to reset the brake pedal after the ICE started while already backing up (1-2mph) riding the brake. Like it momentarily lost it's programming.

Just shouldn't be, and I do not think all of these above may be driver error. Mine was not, would stake my families life on it, and feel there certainly is something going on. I have also noticed sometimes, not often, that after pressing the start button in initially starts in hybrid power. After a few moments it starts ICE. When that happens the car "seems to want to lung forward but you can tell a locking pin or something is keeping it in a stationary position. My thought is this, what if you were in a stationary position, started car, placed in D, and just had foot lightly on brake. Just enough to keep car from rolling. The ICE NOW KICKS IN, and the car lunges forward. Sounds kind of what may be happening to these people. Except they are pulling into a space, coasting in parking lot on hybrid battery. Battery gets low or ICE cools enough to want to start to warm up to temp. Brakes now experience need to reset as ICE suddenly starts and also they experience that little lunge/surge I have felt. But rather than pump or reset brakes they just continue to push harder while brakes don't reset. I'm telling you, that's exactly what it felt like with me backing out while coasting ONLY on the brake pedal.

3 people like this.
  4. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I'm in traffic and the battery is low, the ICE turns on.....as soon as it does this, it moves forward slightly sometimes.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything new in the Aluminum-Foil Hat thread????

Oh... no, I guess not.....

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You've described the grabbing brake while reversing syndrome, a known issue for which Toyota has yet to find a solution and not to be confused with SUA. It can be quite unsettling as the car lurches backwards every time you lift your foot while still touching the brake until you reset the brake. For it to be SUA, the car has to actually accelerate to high speed.

There's a temporary solution to this issue and it involves momentarily releasing your foot completely off (not merely touching) the brake in order to reset it. Works 100% of the time, at least until Toyota finds a solution.

2 people like this.
  7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree Toyota isn't perfect and made a number of errors, but what do you suggest they do if there actually isn't an issue? Apple was also the subject of an intense media hysteria regarding the iPhone, yet they were harshly criticized for doing exactly what you propose Toyota should do, namely publishing a video showing there isn't a problem. Apple did exactly that demonstrating the death grip exists in the various smartphones by other manufacturers. Didn't do them much good. Apple behaved the exact opposite of Toyota, basically blowing off the distractors ("Here are your free cases, fools") rather than being meek and apologetical ("We grew too fast in the last few years"), yet Antennagate persisted for a while.

I just think it's funny that armchair PR critics blasted Toyota and Apple equally, as they acted in the opposite end of the spectrum. Can't win either way, huh?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree that Toyota could have handled the bad press better. Toyota doesn't, or didn't, have much experience with bad press. They have been the poster child for high quality, so I think this whole situation caught them by surprise.

I suspect next time they will be a little more experienced.

Tom

9. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "If Toyota really wants to provide indisputable evidence that all of the unintended acceleration cases are caused by driver error they should install an infrared camera that records the footwell. It will either show the foot on the gas, or a glitch in the software that caused the throttle to be applied while the brake was being pressed. Indisputable."

That's because the iPhone had reception problems that were making customers unhappy. It doesn't matter if other brands do it, customers rightfully demand a product that works. So does it really matter if GM vehicles also have unintended acceleration problems? No, Toyota still has to do the right thing. Unintended acceleration is a MUCH more serious problem than cell phone reception.

It's funny, but not funny. Unintended acceleration is a serious issue. Toyota was reluctant to address the problem, now they are paying for it in lower sales volume, law suits, government penalties etc. Based on that leaked internal document I think some of the American Toyota representatives might be laughing. But I doubt Mr. Toyoda is laughing.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know you suggested that, but Apple already tried that and did them no good (the videos were eventually taken down). It wouldn't really matter because people like you wouldn't be convinced anyway, waiting for the big NASA report.

No, it's because AT&T has reception problems. Big difference. The death grip existed in the original iPhone and 3G/3GS. Depending on where you live, it can be impossible to get the bars to drop if the reception is very strong. There were a number of original iPhone and 3G/3GS adopters who had to return the iPhone because they couldn't deal with AT&T, whereas the rest of us do just fine with the iPhone 4 because we get good reception (and millions of them have been sold).

11. socalev

socalev New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    apple addressed the situation poorly, but in the end agreed for customers to either return the phone or they would give them a free case of there choice.

big difference between a phone issue and a safety issue.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another difference was that the Apple problem was clearly demonstrable and understood.

Despite what the Apple appologists say, the iPhone in question had mediocre RF performance even if you held it the way Monsignor Jobs said to hold it. Out in the boonies my beat up old Motorola flip phone outperforms the iPhones with the antenna problem while both are using the ATT network.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What if the video evidence is not correct? What if video data is stored for the wrong pedal application, so it looks like the brake was pressed but it was really the gas? How is this indisputable?

Perhaps this is a silly argument. After all, video recording is a pretty well established technology. Even so, it brings into focus a fundamental issue when deciding whether something works or not. How far do you go trying to prove that it works? You can prove that something doesn't work by demonstrating one failure. You can never prove that it always works.

This gets back to the basic question of the accuracy of data. You are willing to trust video evidence because you are comfortable with the notion of video recording. It doesn't mean that it is more reliable than other forms of recorded data, but it feels good given your personal experience. Other forms of evidence may be just as good or better, but they may be harder for the layman to understand.

I used to run into this phenomenon frequently in the world of industrial automation. We would instrument an existing process and the data would be different than expected. The unexpected results would uniformly lead to accusations of bad data. Almost always it would turn out that our data was good, but the process was not as well understood as expected. It's easy to blame the data when it doesn't agree with your preconceived expectations.

Black box data is considered good enough for use in commercial airplanes. They don't use a video camera to watch control inputs by the pilots. If they don't do it on a million dollar aircraft, it seems a bit excessive for a $30,000 car.

Tom

3 people like this.
  14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did couple of years of weapons system and automotive test work, mostly installing and running instrumentation. Sometimes there would be some self styled expert there to disagree with the test data because they saw what happened and were convinced the data was wrong. One hot day at a Fort Irwin firing range I had enough and when the turret design manager gave me a ration of shit I handed him a note pad and a pen. He asked what that was about, so I told him that since he could tell better by eye what was happening than I could with instrumentation there was no sense paying me to be there and I walked away to a shaded area and had a cold drink while the program manager told him to not bother the test engineers in the future.

1 person likes this.
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, that's a drawback of internal antenna vs. external antenna (even the little or flat ones that are on the vast majority of older flip phones).

16. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Completely different situation. Apple showed a competitors phone having the same problem as the iPhone. That would be the same as Toyota showing a Chevrolet experiencing unintended acceleration. It's just horrible crisis management. Customers don't want to hear that other companies have the same problem. They want the problem fixed.

I can guarantee that if my Prius friend was shown a video of his foot on the gas during his crash, then he wouldn't be complaining and I would have never started this thread. How can you deny fault if Toyota shows your foot on the gas during the unintended acceleration? A simple and inexpensive Camera/DVR would solve Toyota's problems and quickly expose problems like floor-mat interference, electronic glitches etc.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you read about this lady who wrote steve jobs a letter saying she was fired because her iphone alarm didn't work jan. 1 and she was fired for being late for work?

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My flip phone doesn't have an external antenna. The iPhone is unprotected on the outside periphery of the phone which was the bonehead mistake that caused the problems.

19. 2010prius5

2010prius5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Note to self... Pump brakes as I back up just as I would in an emergency situation further increasing the likelihood that one step on the incorrect pedal. Yes, I know we're only talking about rocking foot off and on brake pedal when grippy brake syndrome hits in reverse, but "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!"

20. 2010prius5

2010prius5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Secondly, the brakes were not there, it's not as if they were grippy. Read my post, then post a reply answering to the fact that the brakes "Cut Out" for a second and then had to be fully reset. Your post is not clear as to "what exactly this Grippy Brake Syndrome is and is doing. There is no grippy here, and would be nice if there was. Do you understand what I'm saying. It's like the electronic signal to the electronic brakes was interrupted when ICE started. Had to take foot off brake pedal that was doing nothing, then reapply to re-initialize or send new signal to brake computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.