1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration -- While Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by evpv, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is almost as amusing as it is tiresome. lol

2. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You keep using decades-old examples that are perfect examples of the opposite point you are trying to make.

Are you seriosly trying to say Ralph Nadar wasn't justified in exposing the flawed Corvair swing axle suspension?

"When it debuted for the 1960 model year, the Corvair suffered from grave problems. Its rigid steering column was aimed just right to impale unlucky drivers when the cars were involved with collisions. The car’s most notable fault, though, came from its suspension design. Though the light and underpowered Volkswagens could use a similar design without serious problems, the heavier and more powerful Corvairs developed dangerous handling characteristics due to the use of a swing-arm rear suspension.

Under hard cornering, the inside rear wheel of Corvairs had a tendency to tuck. When this happened, and it happened often, the cars became uncontrollable. With barely any surface area gripping the road at the back of the car, a tucked wheel could easily cause a spinout. Even worse, many cars would roll over when the suspension gave out in a turn.

Chevrolet recognized the problem and began working to remedy it as early as 1962. For 1964, a transverse spring was installed to compensate for camber changes under cornering. By 1965, with the introduction of the second generation Corvair, an entirely new suspension design had replaced the flawed swing-axle layout."

1960 Chevrolet Corvair Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While patterns of memory problems are becoming increasingly well documented in legal cases, I wouldn't even characterize all of it as fallible memory.

The brain can misunderstand where the unseen limb (in this case, the right foot) really is. In my case, the train of actions produced several contradictory results and sensations. In hindsight, as the adrenaline rush wore down, the most sensible interpretation was that the foot initially was someplace different than the brain expected. Other interpretations required mechanical magic or evil quantum mechanics at macroscopic levels.

Many drivers who have a different but very common reflexive response to this situation would never trigger the specific contradictions that convinced me of operator error. They could file their NHTSA report with a clear conscience and a perfect memory -- of a misperception.

evpv's suggestion of footwell cameras is too easily defeated, and will be defeated by many folks who don't like Orwellian surveillance.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Police, taxis, etc. are not exactly private. It'll be as difficult to implement as requiring a camera in your own house.

No, my point is more that NHTSA findings can be valid. In our case, they found nothing to support the SUA claims.

5. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What? The link you provided is from a Corvair fan club. The entire point of the article is that the NHTSA didn't agree with Nadar's claims:

"At the conclusion of these tests, the NHTSA released its 134 page report. It exonerated the Corvair from Nader’s charges, and said things such as: "The 1960-63 Corvair compares favorably with contemporary vehicles used in the tests," and, "The handling and stability performance of the 1960-63 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover, and it is at least as good as the performance of some contemporary vehicles both foreign and domestic."

So how does that prove your point? The NHTSA was clearly wrong. The absurd NHTSA report basically said it works OK on a 40hp VW Bug so it therefore it is safe for a heavier car with more than twice the horsepower. Wrong. The Corvair suspension was flawed. GM fixed the problem with a complete re-design 4 or 5 years later. Today, no car uses that kind of suspension. Find a better example, preferably from within the past decade or two.

6. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No doubt. evpv posted solely for the sake or arguing, and has no interest in what anyone else has to say. That much is very clear. But, I must say I am looking forward to his next brilliant suggestion like the camera by your feet. I'm expecting a manually deployed parachute when your Toyota takes off uncontrollably!

1 person likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I would support investigation of brake failure or unintended acceleration in every case. I think it's encumbent upon Toyota as a manufacturer and the NHTSA as an organization to continue investigating as long as cases are reported.

Toyota has already offered a software calibration update on the 2010 Gen 3, so exclamations that anything/everything might be "normal" and can't or shouldn't be made better, seem unfounded. If everyone, including Toyota took that attitude, the update would of never been applied mid-production stream and retro-actively to purchasers that bought before Toyota applied the change in software and brake calibration.

That being said, unless you have had a specific incident, with a specific failure here's how I approach the BIG picture.

Driving is dangerous. Driving inherently comes with risk. It doesn't matter what you are driving, Prius, Land Rover, or Smart Car....every vehicle has differences in design, size, weight, available safety options, and feel and handling.

If you accept this as true, then the big picture question becomes: Is The Prius inherently more dangerous than driving any other vehicle?

All I can say, is over my lifetime I have driven an assortment of different vehicles. All I thought had different strengths and weaknesses as applied to driving and safety. I drove a Pre-Airbag, early 1990's small pick-up. I loved it as a vehicle. But I knew going in, that the crash ratings were incredibly poor. At that time in my life I was willing to drive it, knowing that if I was involved in a major crash, my chances of being injured or killed were increased in comparison to many other vehicles I could of chosen.

Today, I'm currently driving a 2010 Honda Fit. It has all the disadvantages of being a sub-compact on the streets in a world dominated by SUV's and trucks. It does have plenty of airbags and modern frame design....

It handles like a Go-Cart on rails. Very agile and quick, which encourages conciously or subconciouly some degree of agressive driving. But I feel the way the vehicle is weighted and designed...that it performs relatively safely in this arena...

My point being, is The Prius has a unique brake design. In comparison to almost everything else that isn't a hybrid. By design, that makes it handle and feel differently than other braking systems. Does that make it "more dangerous"?

I think the only way to really determine this is long term statistics. If there is a disproportionate number of accidents that seem to stem from the characteristics that exist in the design of regenerative brakes, then perhaps Toyota and other manufacturers will need to look at improving design. But, and this IMO is highly significant...we drive vehicles with various and differing strengths and weaknesses of design all the time...My Fit is more agile than my 1991 Accord...but the Accord was bigger....Pick-Up's I drove in my youth, had no airbags and structurally were very dangerous if you were involved in a crash...

We choose the tools and machines we wish to own and operate and we should be aware of their strengths and weaknesses. If these machines and tools operate at a standard that is deemed below that acceptable by society? Then manufacturers must improve to meet or exceed these standards.

I haven't owned or driven a Prius long term. So I can't really offer an opinion on whether "If" I felt this phenemon, would I as an operator feel that this reaction made driving the vehicle unsafe.

But I do think that is at this point, a personal decision. I drove vehicles with known and inherent safety flaws...and no vehicle is perfect, regardless of what manufacturers would want you to think.

I guess my advice would be, if you experience this loss of braking power, or feel, regularly and feel it is too great a risk? Then a change in vehicles might be in order. If you have experienced it and feel it is simply a characteristic of design inwhich you can adjust and accept? Then drive on- with this knowledge. At this point, we haven't reached a point where Toyota or the NHTSA deem it problem worthy of recall or censure...

I don't fault those happy with their vehicles...and I don't fault those that are unhappy with this evident experience. But at this point how you react and accept the reality of regenrative brakes on a Prius, is the decision of the individual owning the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are examples from other posters, but you've apparently ignored them. You've already made up your mind that the SUA claims are true until NASA releases its report so there's no point.

9. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Funny no one mentioned this. The first complaint is by VWB
    volks wagon beetle?
    Or am I crazy.

10. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  11. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, I was on a hill today and as soon as I let go off the brakes...the car moves back a couple of feet. This has happened several times. Why isn't the HILL ASSIST technology working???
    It works fine 90% of the time but occasionally, the car WILL go backwards. Again, this might be a miscommunication between the logic chip and the sensors OR it might be a gear that does not engage due to a delay or miscalculation by the logic chip.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What did you do to engage it?

13. sgm0815

sgm0815 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe this is a miscommunication between the manual and the owner.

If you push the brake pedal to the floor, the car will beep, some yellow light will show up and the Prius holds the brake for about two seconds. In this time any capable driver is able to step on the accelerator and push it far enough to provide the power to at least slowly go up a hill.

Hope this helps.

14. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So you don't think my suggestion will work, let's hear yours. I really want to hear what you say.

15. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the big picture a small percentage of the population will break the law and defeat the camera. But millions of people will be driving around with them actively recording what is really happening inside the car. Hundreds of unintended acceleration cases will be captured on video every year. The result would be undeniable proof. If they find it's all driver error, fine by me. If there are glitches in the drive-by-wire electronics, fix them ASAP. It's a win/win situation.

16. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is speculation.

To the extent that there is real evidence in the matter of possible
    unintended acceleration-- the result of investigations, not unverified
    allegations -- there is reason to believe that the cameras would instead
    record hundreds of cases of operator error/confusion.

17. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perfect. The problem right now is hundreds of unintended acceleration complaints have been received by the NHTSA for the 2010 Prius. Right or wrong, those complaints have damaged Toyota's reputation and hurt their sales volume. If Toyota can show that all cases are caused by driver error it would save them millions of dollars. No more class action law suits, they wouldn't have needed to do the $3million research study by Exponent, the whole NASA investigation could have been avoided, no TV news headlines.

Toyota needs to do the same thing Pepsi did during their crisis. Provide undeniable proof. Quickly.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do you need hsa on the gen III and not on the II?

19. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I submit that this statement is an "argument from ignorance" in that in
    essence it would have Toyota try to disprove something that has not
    yet been shown to exist.

Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad
    ignorantiam or appeal to ignorance, is an informal logical fallacy. It
    asserts that a proposition is necessarily true because it has not been
    proven false (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy
    in that it excludes a third option: there is insufficient investigation and
    the proposition has not yet been proven to be either true or false. In
    debates, appeals to ignorance are sometimes used to shift the burden
    of proof.

Carl Sagan famously criticized the practice by referring to it as
    "impatience with ambiguity", pointing out that "absence of evidence is
    not evidence of absence". This should not, however, be taken to mean
    that one can never possess evidence that something does not exist; an
    idea captured by philosopher Bertrand Russell's teapot.

Arguments that appeal to ignorance rely merely on the fact that the
    veracity of the proposition is not known, or is undetected, to arrive at a
    definite conclusion. These arguments fail to appreciate that the limits of
    one's understanding or certainty do not change what is true. This
    fallacy can be very convincing and is considered by some[2] to be a
    special case of a false dilemma or false dichotomy in that they both fail
    to consider perfectly valid alternatives. A false dilemma may take the
    form:
    - If a proposition has not been disproven, then it cannot be considered
    false and must therefore be considered true.
    - If a proposition has not been proven, then it cannot be considered
    true and must therefore be considered false.
    Such arguments attempt to exploit the facts that
    (a) true things can never be disproven and
    (b) false things can never be proven.
    In other words, appeals to ignorance claim that the converse of these
    facts are also true (therein lies the fallacy).

To reiterate, these arguments ignore the fact, and difficulty, that some
    true things may never be proven, and some false things may never be
    disproved with absolute certainty. The phrase "absence of evidence is
    not evidence of absence" can be used as a shorthand rebuttal to the
    second form of the ignorance fallacy (i.e. P has never been absolutely
    proven and is therefore certainly false.). Most often it is directed at any
    conclusion derived from null results in an experiment or from the non-
    detection of something. In other words, where one researcher may say
    their experiment suggests evidence of absence, another researcher
    might argue that the experiment failed to detect a phenomenon for
    other reasons.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance]Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

20. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's great, but the public's perception is that Toyota has a serious safety problem on their hands. If they do nothing the problem just gets bigger and they lose more money.

Here's a quote from 32kcolors favorite example, the Pepsi Syringe Crisis. That case is widely used as an example of the proper way to handle a crisis situation similar to what Toyota now faces.

"While there might not even be an actual crisis, the perception of a crisis can stir enough negative sentiment from the public to significantly damage the company’s image. The Pepsi case study shows that the perception of a crisis is as important to manage as an actual crisis.

In order to show that a perceived crisis does not actually exist, it is important to communicate with the public and show them that no crisis actually exists. Honesty and open communication facilitates the management of a public relations crisis. Additionally, communication must occur during the early stages of the crisis and communication must occur often."

Crisis Public Relations

And, ironically, a main factor in their defense was the use of video to provide undeniable proof.

"By Thursday, June 17th, Pepsi executives had the video of a Colorado woman, Gail Levine. A supermarket surveillance camera caught her putting objects into a Diet Pepsi can. Pepsi pressured the FDA to issue a statement calling the incidents a series of hoaxes."

Pepsi Panic of 1993. Roadside America

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.