1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

United States moving to ban Gas Stoves

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by John321, Jan 10, 2023.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wonder how many will switch to running the fireplace now. our neighbors' house has a really great basement fireplace that strategically & properly vents to the upstairs rooms. that's one advantage of being on multi acre property w/ a good amount of trees. We'd be burning wood too if it weren't for the better half's allergies.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It CAN be......but it isn't.
    And when you rely on a "grid" for your power needs, there is no buffer like there is with stored liquid or gas fuels.

The point IS.......that we should not be rushing blindly to grow the use of electricity without diversifying the infrastructure........which isn't happening anywhere nearly fast enough to keep pace with the increasing demand.

We need to curb the blind enthusiasm and add in a good measure of common sense planning.

Montgomery and BiomedO1 like this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats.. give use a follow up on how you're liking it...

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like incandescent light bulbs, I expect there will be exceptions for professionals and industries.

Pilot lights mostly result in wasted fuel. The unhealthy emissions, CO and particles, is being emitted when the gas stove is in use. Friends moved the beer making inside on one cold day, which resulted in headaches and the CO alarm going off.

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I did say that using a gas stove in an enclose space "is stupid". Then again, it sounds like your friends killed-off too many brain cells with their beer drinking habit. Remind me again what the byproduct gas from the fermentation process is?????

They're lucky they had a good working CO2 monitor; otherwise they may not have woken up from their slumber.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

#26 ChapmanF, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree we shouldn't be rushing blindly into this.
    I appear to disagree with your position that we are.

I've been in meetings with utility companies, policy makers and EV enthusiasts.
    They have been thoughtful and productive, leading to plans to grow the infrastructure to support EVs as well as VTG capabilities.
    They have also identified that additional capacity is not needed next week, but will be a future consideration.

Why are you so convinced anyone is "rushing blindly" into this?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

#28 ChapmanF, Jan 11, 2023
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The sensing element in my tester has a data sheet that covers some of that:

TGS 813 - for the detection of Combustible Gases

It doesn't say it reacts indiscriminately to anything displacing oxygen, though. The graphs seem to show strong sensitivity to hydrogen, a few simple hydrocarbons, and ethanol, and also a somewhat lower sensitivity to CO₂ and a strong effect of humidity, both probably reasons I have to be so careful breathing around it.

My earlier understanding (from back when I bought the thing and got curious) was that the operation wasn't just a matter of some non-oxygen gas displacing the nearby oxygen, but of some combustible gas getting frisky with the nearby oxygen. The heater in the sensor keeps it around 400 ℃ to encourage that to happen, and all of this is enclosed behind a "100 mesh SUS 316 double gauze" flame arrestor to ensure that what happens in the sensor, stays in the sensor.

Some of that seems to be confirmed on p. 7 (PDF page 18) of this dissertation:

Lee, Andrew Peter, Mechanisms of Tin Oxide Gas Sensor Response, University of Tasmania, 2001

... which happens to have studied the same TGS 813 sensor used in my gadget.

#29 ChapmanF, Jan 11, 2023
  10. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Exactly what KIND of infrastructure are they talking about growing ?

Just the use of that term kind of implies growing the existing distribution grid which consists mostly of centralized generation and long wire distribution.
    The centralization AND the length of the wires both needs to get smaller. A LOT smaller.

I just don't think that enough economic and political bias can be kept OUT of the growth to make it happen the way it needs to.

11. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm 95% confident that I can get my 1950 Oldsmobile running again. Still a points & condenser setup. The vacuum tube radio will probably survive the pulse. :) Unfortunately the Prime would RIP.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks I will.

My electricians just departed; I needed a new subpanel to replace an antique under the kitchen, which then let us upgrade the 30A range drop to a 50A for the new rig.

Next I get the countertop guy in to shave the cutout in my island to make it fit.

As far as I'm concerned this is a lot of the argument with electric vs. gas cooking:

Most people are familiar with the crap "builder grade" electric cooktops and ranges. What does it take to make a nice electric range? A lot. You might need more power infrastructure in the home and the appliance itself needs to be built up a bit to safely use that extra power. All of those upgraded parts cost money.

Meanwhile the difference between a weak gas stove and a good strong one is just a larger bore in the mixing jet. $0.50 worth of hardware and suddenly it's a powerhouse.

So, it's not hard to understand why many don't like electric cooking- they've only seen the home depot version of it.

fuzzy1 and Trollbait like this.
  13. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My neighbor installed one of those tank-less gas water heater. The standard 0.75 inch black pipe didn't cut it. He had to size up to one inch and it complicated matters, since the inlet was on the other side of the house. He's lucky it was a single story ranch style house.They just put in a pipe tee and dragged the one inch pipe across the rafters.

14. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well thank GOD the government is there to save us stupid savages, huh? Where would be be without a government beaurocrat, who's never had a civilian job in his/her/it's life, to tell us what we can and can't do!

They just spent years doing a swell job getting a "vaccine" for the China flu (covid) that was supposed to prevent us from catching it (it didn't and doesn't) and it was supposed to prevent us from spreading it (it didn't and it doesn't) and it was supposed to make it "less severe" if we do catch it. (It didn't and it doesn't) In fact, the covid shot isn't even a vaccine, doesn't fit the definition AT ALL!!

It's time to tell the government to stay in their lane and shutup....we are STILL the land of the free and the home of the brave!

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” –Ronald Regan

“Liberty is a constant battle between government; who would limit it, people; who would concede it, and patriots; who would defend it.” ―Samuel R. Young Jr.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    First, CO != CO2.
    Second, if his kitchen is an enclosed space, then many kitchens are. Most of the homes I've been in don't exhaust hood air to the outside. I've never seen a home hood that comes on with the stove is turned on. Do the separate ovens have any type of hood system?

Returning to your original post, much of the research supporting a ban is peer reviewed. Some examples, Meta-analysis of the effects of indoor nitrogen dioxide and gas cooking on asthma and wheeze in children | International Journal of Epidemiology | Oxford Academic, IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Population Attributable Fraction of Gas Stoves and Childhood Asthma in the United States. Eliminating the pilot light hasn't eliminated thebit of unburnt natural gas into the house that comes with turning on a burner.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the things that I still laugh about, is that we were required to have CO detectors in our house.
    Even though we have nothing that produces CO :)

17. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that true? If something flammable ignites and starts a fire in your house... and if there is not enough oxygen to cleanly burn. Doesn't CO get produced?

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Funny is a serious way is that my parents had to have a fire extinguisher hanging in their kitchen to sell the NJ home. Having one around makes sense, requiring one by code installed like in a public building sends a different message. Another friedn, a firefighter in NJ, was against it because it undermined the message to the public about getting out of a burning building being the primary goal.
    If it's an unintentional fire of something burning that shouldn't, there are smoke detectors for that. Or should be.

Most CO deaths and accidents are a result of something going wrong with an appliance that uses fire, like a blocked exhaust. In terms of appliances installed in a home, that is mainly natural gas, but the alarms should be there for oil, wood, etc. Now, if the home is electric everything, I think there are better options, like thermal sensors, to supplement the smoke detectors for fires than CO alarms.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a reading on my CO detector once because the house across the street had hired a carpet-cleaning service, with a big truck-engine-powered cleaner rumbling away in the street in front.

It wasn't a very high ppm reading, and I made the judgment to simply note it and not fret about it, and lived to tell the tale. (What would I have done anyway? Go stand outside where the CO was coming from?) It was kind of neat seeing the detector was that sensitive.

20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's strange. I had once the combi-fire alarm go off at our house. It was alarming to both fire and carbon monoxide when this happened. The cause was a small pot left on an electric burner to simmer, and we completely forgot about it and were out of the house. It did not start a fire. There was no flame, but a lot of smoke from the burned-down contents of the pot.