1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

United States moving to ban Gas Stoves

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by John321, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Would a smoke detector alone not go off? A more important question for this situation, which went off first? Or which is best for measuring the doneness of the meal?

CO is a product of combustion. It is being made by gas stoves, fire places, and cars when those things are running correctly. An alarm is for when something is wrong with exhausting those devices. Other fires make CO, but there are other safety systems required for such events. If only the CO alarm was going off in that situation, its time to get a replacement for the smoke alarm.

The "or should" part of my post is self referencial. I got a smoke alarm laying around that really should be put into use. Actually, it is probably time for me to replace some of them. They have expiration dates. Smoke alarms are only good for about 10 years. Seems CO alarms can be shorter.

2. lovenycpizza

lovenycpizza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone have an estimate of how many gas stoves would be sent to the landfill. Followed by gas BBQ and finally gas dryers. For what?

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've got 10. I buy a new one each year and replace the oldest-looking one.

(still in the 1st 10 years in this house, so I have to guess a few more times)

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the smoke detector alone would have gone off. And it had gone off first, I would think. So, I guess you are correct that a smoke detector alone would have alerted this situation. But that was not the point of my question. My question was doesn't burning flammable items under insufficient oxygen produce carbon monoxide? If so, then just because there are no gas, oil, or wood fire appliances in the house, it does not eliminate the source of potential carbon monoxide production as claimed.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Metal recycling.

Bob Wilson

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Umm, zero. People weren't forced to throw out all their current incandescent light bulbs when they were banned. Stores didn't even have to throw out what they had on the shelves when lead paint was banned. IIRC, it took something like two years for all that paint to work its way out of the supply chain from the date the lead was banned.

Doubt grills are being considered since they are, or at least should be, outside, and charcoal is probably worse in some emissions.

The health hazards are from the emissions inside the house. The dryers, hot water heaters, and central heaters are vented to the outside when in use. A gas stove could have a hood vented to the outside, but it can be left off when the stove is in use. There is also that greater distance between it and the flame vs. inside a fire box of the other appliance. Fans of ventless gas heaters should be concerned.

You're right that CO is a potential with any thing burning. I took @Zythryn comment more about building code forcing the installation of the alarms when there were none of the usual CO sources in the house. Maybe having a CO alarm would be good idea in that case, but then so is having a couple extra smoke alarms.

The NJ fire extinguisher code forced them to be hung on a kitchen wall of new construction and houses for sale. Having one is a good idea, but virtually all the home buyers took it down after the sale, and many likely forget where they put it. Owners of an electric only house like Zythryn, probably do the same when it is time to replace those CO alarms.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @Zythryn (or anyone else who cooks induction)

Does anyone make a pan that looks like a spiral burner so we can char tortillas like old-school?

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems like splitting hairs.
    I could mention that our house would never have asteroid debris, but that would be wrong if an asteroid lands in my living room.

In the case of a fire, the fire alarms will do double duty. I don’t ever see the need for a CO detector.
    I could also say our house will never burn down due to a natural gas leak.
    However, that could be possible if our neighbor’s house blew up in a Nat gas explosion, which launched their burning clothes dryer into the air, through our roof and started our house on fire.

I am not sure, but I would be surprised if no one does.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There have been some notable block-clearing or neighborhood-clearing gas explosions around here in the last couple decades (one cleared the block that's now occupied by my convenient CVS pharmacy).

Experience suggests that if your neighbor's house blows up in a Nat gas explosion, it's not unlikely or unusual for yours to burn down too, flying clothes dryer or no.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify, I was not questioning your need to have a CO detector in your house or the law requiring you to have one. I was simply asking about the validity of your comment that "you have nothing that produces CO". Wanted to know if CO is not produced when something in a house burns. We don't have a fire code requirement to have CO detectors where we live. But I spent a bit more on a combi-fire alarm that detects both CO and smoke last time I replaced alarms even though we have no gas appliances in our house. (We do have an oil boiler though.) Before that, we had no CO detector in our house. As I commented above, since I have heard the CO alarm along with the smoke alarm go off without any faulty exhaust, your comment just puzzled me.

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oldest looking? Why not write installation (or purchase) dates on them? I do that with less age-critical items, just for curiosity.

12. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think we need a time machine so we can send deniers like you back to 1918 where you can experience what it is REALLY like to try and live through a real epidemic.......without modern medicine or the knowledge we have learned since then.

Your should be just as well off as you are now.......right.......because you seem determined to be a STUPID AS POSSIBLE.

It really is too bad that in your infinite stupidity you didn't catch the virus and DIE......because you really should have.
    The rest of us would be much better off.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, oldest looking. Because I'm still working through the ones that came with the house. I marked all the ones I put in.

CR94 likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Their reasoning is flawed.

I rather see manditory flue and exhaust hoods that actually vent OUTSIDE

Electric stoves on self clean make very nasty compounds, stove cleaners make even nastier off gases.

Whenever I run the self clean on the electric stove I make sure to set the timer and hopefully be on vacation for the weekend

Both my homes have stoves that are on outside walls but have a hood fan that blows in my face.

Gas is cheaper to run and gives better results , my 1860’s era home has a 40 amp panel, the only electric stove I could run would be a hot plate and $10,000 to upgrade from the street In might not happen

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But how many neighbor CO emissions effected other houses?
    Their reasoning is backed by some peer reviewed research.

Outside exhausting hoods would be great. Ones that automatically turn on with the range would be better. Making it part of the building code won't address existing homes though.

Maybe research has been done on the emissions from cleaning stoves. Using a stove happens more often than cleaning the oven. Is the cleaning emissions volume greater than the stove's?

17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Cooking in general makes emissions. There are some old studies that were focused solely on different methods of cooking removing the “heating source emissions “ and are pretty damning, even specific types of supposedly “clean harmless “ cookware make rather terrible emissions whose effects aren’t fully understood.

I care more about people and interior air quality than cherry picked data.
    A valid exhaust system is prudent, banning gas stoves and even certain forms of electrical cooking is not.

Even many clothes, bedding, furniture and carpetting are linked to respiratory illnesses up to and including cancer in susceptible populations.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Induction range tops are ~10% more efficient than resistance electric, so you don't necessarily have to upgrade incoming power. Our range was already on a 50amp breaker. But since they're more expensive up front, well, you take in in the shorts one way or the other. that said, we DO love our Bosch inductive cooking. Yours truly, because it's saving on the electricity, the better half? Because unlike a natural gas burner, it's flat - so you can throw the groceries on top of it (and it's not really hot, if you were recently cooking ... just the pans get hot ... which btw have to be induction rated)
    ;)

19. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And yet cigarettes are legal

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the natural gas production and distribution networks too.