1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Univ. of Kansas Takes Up Creation Debate

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ScottY, Nov 22, 2005.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

The establishment clause of the 1st amendment of the constitution was interpreted that way by our founders, and that interpretation stands to this very day as the law of the land.

This was posted before in this thread, but i'll post it again:
    http://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html

While the constitution itself doesn't use the exact language of a separation between church and state, there is overwhelming precedent stemming from our founder's original intent, which continues to make sense today.

I am a product of public school education, and as many flaws as there were, I still have an extremely good impression of the system today.

I don't understand what the big deal is. There are still plenty of venues to learn about religion... people I knew who went to public schools still managed to be devout Christians, Jews, Muslims etc... through their Churches, Temples, Mosques... through sunday school, hebrew school... etc etc...

There is NO dearth in avenues for parents and children to engage in religion outside of our public schools.

That being said, the fact remains that our public school system still needs a lot of work... issues like improving our student's performance compared on a global scale... and other issues like resolving the inherent quality gap based on social class among public school in different communities...

The issue of religion in school, in my opinion, is WAY down on the priority list, yet the Right is emphasising religion in schools first and foremost.

I'm not convinced that the primary objective is to improve our schools more than it is to further religion. I consider that a huge distraction from actually fixing our schools.

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Nor should there be any movement of any type by the government to fund religious education, and that should apply accross the board.

3. Newman

Newman New Member

For a Tripp you are mighty inquisitive :D I see nothing wrong with a literal interpretation of bible, and no conflict whatsoever with science (my religion
    is Christianity).
    Do you have a specific point or question that can be asked.....like, get a little more
    specific than just Noah and science...

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Would you then revoke all the student loans and grants for students to Norte Dame, Southern Methodist University, Pepperdine University, Drew University, Baylor University, Southwestern University, Concordia University, Brigham Young University, Seton Hall, Marymount University, or any of the hundreds of other schools that have a religious affilliation?

The SupCt has ruled that the government cannot discriminate against a student who decides to go to one of these schools on the basis of the religious affilliation. I fail to see the difference between Pell Grants and student loans and school vouchers (IIRC, the Supremes have also said that a school voucher system would be constitutional, having ruled on a test program in VA, PA or MI).