1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Universal Fuel Consumption Excel Sheet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusuk2008, Mar 22, 2008.

1. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One thing that I thought might be useful for worldwide readers is a universal consumption sheet, which will convert and log your miles or kilometres against how you buy your gas, by the gallon or by the litre.

I havent gone to graphs in this, but I would appreciate any feedback from USA, European and other readers please.

I have password protected the formulae as there are a couple of tables I use and you will see the report headings change dependent on how you record your mileage. Also, for size consideration, I only have 100 lines in here and you may need more for a full history. I'll be glad to supply the password if you need it to copy more rows, but first I'd appreciate what you think of it....

Thanks

File removed - see updated version 3 on 18/05/08

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just with a quick glance, it looks nice. Thanks for sharing. I won't be using it because I already have a commercial Palm-based application to track my fillups and mileage, but I'm sure many can make good use of it.

A suggestion, if you think it merits it: Add columns to calculate the per-tank and lifetime differences between MFD mileage and calculated mileage. I did one strictly for that purpose that you're welcome to incorporate into yours if you like.

3. The Root

The Root Desert Dweller

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Priusuk:

This is a very well put together spreadsheet. I will not need to add rows for about 3-4 years based on my miles per year projections, but when that time comes, I would like to do that. By then, I certainly won't remember where this came from, so I would appreciate a PM with the password now. Thanks for all the work you put into this.

4. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your kind words Root and also Jimbok for feedback. No-one else yet has commented on including the MFD readings so not too sure if anyone else sees this as important, so I'll wait for a bit if you don't mind.

The password protection is not to protect proprietary rights or anything Root, just to avoid errors by users, deleting rows or putting data in cells where a number is required, that's all. The password is the name of the worksheet if you wish to add your lines now, just copy the whole of the last row down as much as you need.

Thanks again for the positive feedback, sure is appreciated.

5. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great document PriusUK2008. I am at work now but tonight I will punch in all my numbers and check it out more. I have only filled the tank up 12 times since I bought it in November so I am far from needing the Password. But I will keep you informed.

6. NOVA-Prius

NOVA-Prius Superbad Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for putting this together and for sharing! I have started using it. I've only filled up twice since I bought the car and have been recording data in a small notebook that lives in the glove compartment. This will give me a way to preserve and tally the information.

The only thing I track that isn't including in your ss is the price of the gas. I thought that it would be interesting to track costs over time. However, I defer to the far more experienced "senior" members of the forum regarding anything that you might want to change/add to your doc.

Again, thanks.

7. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks NOVA-Prius, feedback appreciated. Its a good point you raise and I did originally have the cost in this sheet, together with a calculation of the cost per US Gal/Imp Gal/Litre.

I took it out only because I couldn't think of a way of making the cost and all cost per XX (mile/km/litre/gal etc) universal. For example in USA you would want to show dollars ($), similar to Canada,Australia and New Zealand even though they are different dollars. In Europe people would want to see EURO costs "€" and in UK they would want to see GB Pounds (£). In Japan they want Yen (can't do that symbol??) etc, etc etc.

I think maybe the solution is to just have columns that the "user" can currency format to his or her taste. This does leave the problem that formulae are unprotected to enable this, unless anyone can think up a "lookup" type scenario that I could use, so you select your currency and the heading changes, but not the row formatting (I think I can do this, but it isn't ideal)... any thoughts anyone?

8. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, I have included costs in this version. You select your currency and its abbreviation from a table and it will now, in addition to all the other calcs, tell you cost per litre/gall/US gall of fuel and running cost per mile or kilometre for the fill up, life to date and any season you care to filter on.

This had been bugging me too, and while the solution doesn't show fancy $ or € signs, it is legible and understandable in the country in which it is used.

There is one line of data in the file defaulted to US selections but it will work fine anywhere in the world now.

Give it a go and let me know if it works for you please.

File removed: See Version 3 updated on 18/05/08

Thanks

9. The Root

The Root Desert Dweller

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even better with the cost factor added. Thanks. I have saved it and will give it a try within the next few days.

10. Anniee

Anniee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you PriusUK2008. for the spreadsheet.

I am going to use it not only for my Prius, but will also keep a spreadsheet for the other two gas hogs we have. I am hoping that when my husband sees the difference in gas costs he will buy a Prius for himself. It should not have to take a spreadsheet to convince him, surely he is aware of the costs, but sometimes seeing things in black and white will make more of an impact.

Anniee

11. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Annie,

So you figure that a spreadsheet is more convincing for your DH?! ;) Good luck

12. esears1

esears1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great spreadsheet.. I started using the first revision since I didn't care about keeping track of the price of gas.

Edward

13. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Anniee, maybe I should have highlighted in RED where the mpg is below 40mpg (or 30mpg) so your husband can see how many RED figs he gets versus how many red figs you get.... on 2nd thoughts, I think he'll just see the costs and get a Prius anyway..

14. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks esears, yeah if you don't need the costs the 1st version will do. I think your inputs should be able to copy into the new sheet, if you just take them a column at a time, should you decide to look at costs in the future. Glad you like it.

15. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ..this smacks of "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"... could be right

16. hobba

hobba New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for putting together the spreadsheet!

I've owned my ride since 2005 and never tracked the costs until July of 07. Even then, my data was incomplete as I didn't keep track of the mileage at fill up. But I did d/l the file and entered the most recent data. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Thanks again for thinking of this and sharing it with PC!

17. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    WOW! Real nice looking.

I've been working with a rough looking spreadsheet since I got my Prius.

I use my Prius for work so I keep all costs related to the car.

I do keep track of my MFD versus calculated mileage. Any one tank can very a lot but in 9 months and 15,000 miles the difference is less than 3%. Interesting but of no value.

I also calculate the theoretical savings versus number of gallons it would have taken in my Aveo (30 MPG) and my wife's Tahoe (15 MPG) at the actual cost each fill up. Those numbers are interesting and of value when discussing what a Prius is really worth.

18. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    PriusUK --

I use a tab-separated text file for input, and wrote a perl script that generates HTML with my desired computed values. One of the other respondents mentioned tracking deltas between MFD vs. odometer/tank calculations; my program does that. You're welcome to use the formulae if you are so inclined. :)

Overall, it looks like my MFD is about 3-4% optimistic.

Input text file: http://scrye.com/~tkil/prius/gas-history.txt
    Perl script: Gas Tank History
    Output HTML: Gas Tank History

Happy hacking!

19. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hobba and PearlDriver, Glad you can make use of it. Just one thing on consumption though, I think the Spectra Blue has a better mpg than the Pearl version, but that's just a wild guess....;)

Tkil - this is really out of my league as I'm just an Excl nut, but the output looks good. Thanks for sharing your outputs and layouts too, much appreciated. I'm sure others with web pages can make good use of it too.

20. natty

natty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got my Prius last week and love the spreadsheet!
    I now will need my first fill up and had a question about the spreadsheet. It's about the part where it says the starting Odomoter part..I bought the car new, with 9 miles on it, They reset the MPG after I bought it. Do I put the number "0" or "9" in the starting ODO. I thought if I did "9", it wouldn't read the full fuel tank properly as the full tank reading started the ODO at "0". I'm filling up today, excited to punch the #'s in the spreadsheet and just wanted your opinions on this.

Thanks,

Natty