1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Universal Fuel Consumption Excel Sheet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusuk2008, Mar 22, 2008.

1. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well it took a while to figure it out, but I've done it now. Attached here is version 3 of the Universal Fuel Consumption Excel Sheet which now includes an option requested by a few posters :

- Comparison of costs versus old gas guzzler -

The sheet works EXACTLY the same as the 2nd version, which had costs in it, so if you have already downloaded earlier versions you should be able to copy and paste your DATA out of one file and copy it in the correct place in this file.
    In addition, as an OPTION, you can specify one old vehicles fuel consumption in any of mpg (US), mpg (Imp) or litres / 100kms. If you do not enter any old vehicle consumption data, the model still works fine, it just ignores this section.

However, if you do want to use this option, then the model will calculate your equivalent fill up in gallons or litres and its cost at the same time as you actually did fill up your vehicle.

So for all those who want to justify the cost of their Prius with the gas savings or look at paybacks etc, go ahead and compute and watch the savings grow.

For those who don't the sheet still works fine, world-wide

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. jmascharka

jmascharka New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, I've saved $275 in just 7 weeks. Actually more than that since my old vehicle took diesel, which has been around $.75 more per gallon. So make that $335 in savings.

Wonderful spreadsheet, thanks for giving it out!

3. CityBear

CityBear New Member

I liked what I saw. However, I own 2 cars; a Prius and a Volvo. I want to model, compare, and project how long it would take for me to break even (as in payback) the operational cost of the Volvo (gas mileage) with the current Prius gas mileage. Like for example, say I am getting about 47 miles per gallon with the Prius, and about 16 miles per gallon for the Volvo, how long would it take for the Prius to payback to cost of my Volvo using the gas mileage a lone.

4. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your post CityBear. The spreadsheet isn't really the right tool to calculate paybacks, its more for monitoring actual fuel operating costs and efficiencies with a potential to calculate how much you could save were you driving another vehicle instead.

Paybacks require a lot of other input, not just fuel savings. However, fuel savings can be considerable, hence the reason I added them to the sheet, plus its also fun to see how much you are saving every week, month and year. I plan to put my savings away for real and at the end of the year (or when I have enough savings) take my wife on a "free" holiday with them.