1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Universal Prii Driver Hello

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PalominoPrincess, Apr 4, 2011.

1. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not just me. Whenever I park next to a Prii, the other driver goes out of his way to avoid eye contact.

Plus people here just think they are masters of the road, even in a parking lot. I swear you've never ever seen so many people who don't know how a 4-way stop sign works or that you are suppose to yield to pedestrians.

You also see people who get angry with people walking in the hashed-out section of a parking lot that designates where people are suppose to walk.

Then you see moron pedestrians who think it's somehow intelligent to walk down the middle of the lane in a parking lot. It doesn't help when you are in a Prius in EV mode.

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius drivers are not snobbish, we're just too busy playing the Prius dash display video game :D

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The secret Prius hello is the middle finger out the window every time you pass a gas station!:D

4. PalominoPrincess

PalominoPrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow. Not at all the responses I was expecting. I guess being down in a small town in the South, we're a lot friendlier and will wave at anyone, for anything, regardless if we know them or not! Just after we bought the first Prius, a guy driving one waved at us and I was completely giddy. There aren't that many around here, so it's exciting when we see another one. And people being friendly as we are, I guess I didn't take into account the rest of the country not being so nice.

I do like the middle finger salute at the gas station though. ;)

5. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with Tom....I like that one!!!:bounce:

6. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

7. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sorry that I'm not more enthusiastic, but I've come up with a gang sign that is so lame, only a Prius driver will love.

First, with your left hand, make an OK sign by touching your index to your thumb and holding the remaining three fingers straight. Then rotate your hand so that your extended fingers point downwards (if they were pointing at 12 o'clock, now they point at 6 o'clock). You will have to move your arm and raise your elbow a bit more as well.

It's a P when the other person sees the sign. Yes, you may look like a retard (no offense).

8. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW, I will give the first person that I see flash this gang sign $100 out of my own pocket.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like it; street thugging in my Prius! :rockon:

10. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I can still show you places in OK where it's rude not to give a wave at anyone you meet on the road. They're getting harder to find but they're still there. Frankly, It's kind of nice.

11. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In most of NJ you cannot wave or beep or perform elaborate gang gestures, someone will shoot back at ya.

12. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Either that or Snooki will come by and punch you in your grill. You best not be flashing no gang signs when a Guidette gots to do her GTL.

13. PalominoPrincess

PalominoPrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is nice, and almost always makes you smile. A random wave from a stranger is fun! Prius driver, or not.

I love it! If I were in SoCal, I'd totally do it at you!

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was talking about the rural areas of course. It's almost always the men though that wave understandably. You can tell when you're getting VERY rural when the women will wave. (Just the ones driving pick up trucks):D Now we're just talking a two finger lift off the steering wheel wave and not a big flashy arm up type wave. That would be too forward unless you already know her. There really is a complex choreography to all this and it was probably the precursor to the method of flashing gang signs.;)

15. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My Cobra I waved.
    My motorcycle I waved.
    My Subie I waved.

There are waaaay too many Prius drivers in the MD/DC/VA area to wave. I'd be hanging out with my hand out the window everywhere I went.

16. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most Prius drivers in Ireland tend to be well.....old!! and tend to drive embarrassingly slow and i honestly think they wouldn't/couldn't recognise another Prius,there are only a handful of Prius taxis in Dublin but i don't stop on ranks to have a chat.

17. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always do that 2 finger over the eyes dance move like in pulp fiction, but people never return the gesture and just stare at me.

18. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL,I wonder why John [Travolta]:p

19. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did a circle island run with some visiting family a few weeks ago and I saw many Prii at least 20 to 30. I waved at everyone of them and did not get a single wave back or to me initiated by another driver. My wife just rolls her eyes at me and thinks it's silly. I had my mother and sister in law in the back and they are Lao so they were chatting in Lao amongst themselves with my wife. It was not until I got home that I found out my mother in law had talked to my wife about me having allot of friends because she had seen me waving at all the other cars. My wife explained to her that I was just waving at the other Prii and how she thought that I was crazy.

20. jamesa53

jamesa53 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing myself.....when I owned Corvettes the owners would wave at each other and as well on motorcycles. As a new owner it is a good thing I didnt make a fool of myself by waving first LOL.