1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Universal Prii Driver Hello

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PalominoPrincess, Apr 4, 2011.

1. barcelona11

barcelona11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading this thread, I restrained myself from waving at other Prius drivers in this semi-small Southern town. Then, today, a blue Prius stopped next to me at a light. I turned my head to see if it were one of my Prius-driving friends, and they were waving! Strangers! I smiled and waved back - it's the small town Southern thing, but just over the car!

2. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I made friendly eye contact with another 2010 BWP while she was turning in to where I was leaving and it was briefly awkward for a sec; I think she thought I was checking her out, but realized I was staring at her because of her 2010 BWP.
    .You had to be there.

3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <18,000 Insight-I's were made and sold worldwide, so there aren't many out there. When I'm in mine I usually wave, flash lights on the rare occasion when I see another one. Most totally ignore me, like they're oblivious and didn't even notice that I'm in an Insight-I. In fairness, though, it isn't very distinctive-looking from the front.

I notice other Prii but don't wave, far too many of them around here.

I suspect that most of the motoring public don't know or care what the car they are driving looks like, so they don't recognize a car like theirs when they see it. They're much too busy fussing with their cell phones, Garmins, etc.

4. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week I noticed that the cars stopped directly ahead & behind were Prii! Three in a row! Woot! I should have honked three times.

5. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I had a 1st gen Miata (the kind with the pop-up headlights), fellow Miata owners would flip the lights up and down sort of like a wink, at each other. With my 2nd gen Miata, there's an occassional wave.

On the Harley, my arm gets tired waving at all the other passing bikers. It's actually sort of silly. I finally got to the point where I would do the "biker wave" to the first 10 or so bikers that I passed, after that, no more waving...otherwise, you wind up riding around with one hand all day.

With the Prius, there are SO many of them (and so many clueless Prius drivers), I don't even bother. The waving thing comes from car enthusiasts and bike enthusiasts. I would venture to guess that most Prius owners are not "car people"...they just want to get from "point a" to "point b" as efficiently as possible.

6. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    We Miata (MX-5) owners will usually wave when our tops are down, but flash the headlights if the tops are up.

7. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Paradox: I think your observation unmasks the "universal Prius salute." Raise your right hand with a loosly closed palm with fingers wraping backward toward your face. Now, quickly rub your thumb and index finger together in the international sign for money. I have traveled the world and have yet to encounter a cultural setting or language where this gesture was unknown. This established gesture of thrift, instantly conveys why I drive a Prius.

8. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    And why a lot of people call us "Pious" drivers!:nono:

9. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Perhaps "Parsimonious" driver would be better. :D

10. jfultz14976

jfultz14976 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a Jeep Wrangler as a rental for 2 days once. You would not believe how many other Wrangler drivers waved at me! I have not even had 1 fellow Prius driver even look at me! Oh well I can just wave at myself on the mirror!

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

12. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That was awkward. You stared at a car when you could have stared at a pretty girl instead. :kiss:

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

LOL...that is just too funny and maybe way too embarrassing!