1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unknown '05 Complications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Boatwrong, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Boatwrong

Boatwrong New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius and it's been working great until just over two weeks ago. I got in my car and started it and saw that my red exclamation mark warning light had came on. I read through the manual and it said that it was safe to drive but I should get it to the auto shop so they can figure out what is wrong. My plan was to go to work and right after, take it to the shop. After two miles, a bunch of other warning lights came on. VSC, yellow exclamation mark, and check engine light. I came up to a stop sign right after I saw these lights and realized I probably shouldn't go all the way to work. As I started to accelerate through the intersection, the engine was revving like I was flooring it. No matter how much gas I gave it, it was only able to crawl through the intersection really loudly. I pulled over and tried to see what was wrong. My oil was good, battery wasn't dead, (The battery was brand new) etc. I couldn't find anything wrong. I decided I was going to try to take it to the shop. When I got back in, the car wouldn't start. The electronic stuff would come on but the engine wouldn't start and the brake light had come on. (My parking brake wasn't on.) After a few minutes of trying a few things, I got it to start and drove it to Big O Tires (They just replaced my battery) without any issues. I told them what was wrong and they said they'd tell me what they find out. After a week without a call, I called them. They said they couldn't get it to start and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. After another week without news, I called again and they said they got it to start but they can't get it out of neutral. They said they had a "Prius freak" come look at it and they don't know what's wrong either. So,my question for you guys... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS WRONG?!?! I've decided that I'm taking my car to a Toyota dealer, since they'll probably be able to figure it out. But does anyone have any idea what's going on? (Sorry it's so long.)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many miles on her?

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it's the hybrid battery failing, but without knowing the codes, it's hard to confirm it. I would have the codes read by a code reader that can read all of the Toyota specific ECUs (e.g. Techstream). Then post back with the codes if you're looking to repair yourself. If you aren't ready or willing to take on the repairs yourself, it's best to take the car either to a Toyota dealer or to hybrid specialty shop. Big O Tire shops and oil change places in general don't know how to do much more than change tires and oil and align suspensions on a normal car. On a hybrid, they're clueless.

Eastside and valde3 like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have a hybrid battery failure. I recently purchased a 2005 and had the same exact symptoms. It had two bad modules in the battery pack. Once that was fixed, it's been 100% smooth sailing. That was at about 260k miles.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    P0A80 will be the likely DTC to be recovered. You have 3 options:
    1) Module replacement- cheapest, repair will likely be short lived.
    2) Refurbished HV Battery from Doorman, Fraudtech (aka Greentech), or other HV Battery rebuilders. This option will likely be more reliable than module replacement. More expensive than module replacement. Slightly cheaper than new OEM HV Battery.
    3) New OEM HV Battery will provide the greatest trouble free longevity. Possible to get as low as $2071 + tax + refundable core charge. Fairly portable asset. The pack can be placed into another Gen2 easily. You can also swap these modules into a Gen3 HV Battery case, should you decide to upgrade to a Gen3.

You should read the owners manual, also available from Toyota.com.

There are TWO batteries.
    1) 12V AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery. This is a more frequent replacement, maintenance item; $150-$300, every 4-8years.
    2) 201.6V HV (High Voltage) traction battery. This is an expensive maintenance item; life span of 8-10+ years. New cost of $2071+.