1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unknown '05 Complications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Boatwrong, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Boatwrong

Boatwrong New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius and it's been working great until just over two weeks ago. I got in my car and started it and saw that my red exclamation mark warning light had came on. I read through the manual and it said that it was safe to drive but I should get it to the auto shop so they can figure out what is wrong. My plan was to go to work and right after, take it to the shop. After two miles, a bunch of other warning lights came on. VSC, yellow exclamation mark, and check engine light. I came up to a stop sign right after I saw these lights and realized I probably shouldn't go all the way to work. As I started to accelerate through the intersection, the engine was revving like I was flooring it. No matter how much gas I gave it, it was only able to crawl through the intersection really loudly. I pulled over and tried to see what was wrong. My oil was good, battery wasn't dead, (The battery was brand new) etc. I couldn't find anything wrong. I decided I was going to try to take it to the shop. When I got back in, the car wouldn't start. The electronic stuff would come on but the engine wouldn't start and the brake light had come on. (My parking brake wasn't on.) After a few minutes of trying a few things, I got it to start and drove it to Big O Tires (They just replaced my battery) without any issues. I told them what was wrong and they said they'd tell me what they find out. After a week without a call, I called them. They said they couldn't get it to start and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. After another week without news, I called again and they said they got it to start but they can't get it out of neutral. They said they had a "Prius freak" come look at it and they don't know what's wrong either. So,my question for you guys... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS WRONG?!?! I've decided that I'm taking my car to a Toyota dealer, since they'll probably be able to figure it out. But does anyone have any idea what's going on? (Sorry it's so long.)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many miles on her?

4. Boatwrong

Boatwrong New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just over 160k

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    which battery is brand new? the other might be bad.

6. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The red triangle indicates that an OBD code reader is needed.

It's not likely that Big O has a code reader for Prius specific codes.

Try a Toyota dealer or a garage with Prius experience.

--- Back East, 10 years and/or 150,000 miles is likely point for the HV battery failing.

7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any generic OBD2 code reader can read some of the Prius hybrid system codes. For example, P0A80 (replace HV traction battery) is one a generic reader can detect. P0A93 is another, which is for the HV electric inverter water pump. Every Prius owner should own at the very least a simple OBD2 code reader so they aren't completely in the dark when the dash lights up.

The OP should have gone to a Toyota stealership when his problems began since they did not have the tools and knowledge to determine what was wrong with their car.

8. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That suggests that: your 12V was the battery recently replaced and that the HV battery is nearly dead. THE clue is that all the 12v stuff works, yet it will not start - which it cannot do with a dead HV battery.

The cause will need to be investigated by a good dealer or indy shop VERY familiar with Prii, but I'd guess the HV battery is not charging. Incidentally, that would also explain why the 12v battery needed to be replaced as it is charged via a DC-DC converter from the HV pack.

9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Get codes read. My guess hybrid battery code will tell you more. If it is the hybrid battery. Dont waste your money on grid charger some will try to sell you. Use it towards new or remanufactrued battery .your choice

11. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    But really, what's the point in re-manufacturing anymore? Replacing modules may have been successful back then, but the replacement parts themselves are getting older.

12. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have ONE flat tire, you don't repair or replace them all do you?

Most of the quality HV rebuilds identify all weak/substandard modules and replace them with new ones. I understand that many folks *think* that just because one part of a larger assembly failed, the rest must be close behind, but nothing could be further from the truth. While every part (bearing, light, battery cell) has a finite life, it is REALLY common today to have certain parts on a really old (time or miles) vehicle that have never failed.

So if you take a car with 100k on it and it fails a wheel bearing, that does not mean the other 3 will go out soon too. Tons of cars get 300k+ out of them all. Same goes for the battery modules, 1/3 of them might go 20 years and 300k, 1/3 might not make it to 10y/100k, who knows?

offib, jeff652 and Beachbummm like this.
  13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so you would spend 2500 on a new battery for a car that has fair market value of 2800?
    if you replace bad modules for $25 each (and I have never seen more that 3 go bad in a pack) for $75 you might get another 2 years from the car.. its a used car at the end of its life why spend more than its worth on repairs..

offib and jeff652 like this.
  14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    why pay the dealer hundreds for a diagnoses when you can buy toyota techstream off e bay for 25 bucks with the hook up cable ..

jeff652 likes this.
  15. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People who want to keep the battery going for the remaining life of the vehicle with as little out of pocket cost as possible use our products. Our products are not for everyone. Some people like spending an extra $1k-$3k for the peace of mind of a new battery. They are not our target market. People who want to save the $1k-$3k and still have a running car are who our customers are ;)

16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the OP is clearly clueless, that's why. Tries to drive the car in limp mode. Doesn't even know how to use a OBD2 code reader. And......the OP has been MIA since Tuesday.

Beachbummm, Eastside and jeff652 like this.
  17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You forget that the HV Pack is relatively portable/transferable.

The current car could be worth zero, and you are of the opinion that it is foolish to buy a new HV Pack, no matter what. BUT, there are other factors, you still seem to under appreciate:

*What is wrong in continuing to drive a car worth ZERO dollars, if it is in sound operating condition and the exterior is in decent condition, given the vehicles age. $2071 for a new OEM HV pack, sure beats buying a new car or a late model used car? If one has to take out a loan for the replacement vehicle, the costs obviously go up.
    *The new-ish OEM HV pack can always be transferred into a younger Gen2, should a catastrophic repair or accident, cause you to give-up on the car.
    *The modules of the new-ish OEM HV pack can be transferred into a Gen3 HV case.​

You have the skills and tools to do module swaps; good for you. Not everyone will. For the unskilled, they will likely be paying for services rendered: module swapping, or installation of a used/rebuilt pack [Doorman or Fraudtech (aka Greentech)] . When one can NOT DIY, the cost/benefit begins to shift away from module swapping or used replacement pack, esp since a new OEM HV pack can be acquired relatively cheaply.

New OEM HV Pack = high cost, greatest trouble free operation, long life
    module swapping = low cost

Yes, you are going on 4yrs/40K miles on your module repair; 2008 prius 35mpg whats the point---help!!! | Page 2 | PriusChat. GOOD FOR YOU! How likely are others to have such a good experience?

Even buyers of Doorman products don't seem to have the longevity they were expecting, based on the various stories here. And Doorman is a $92M (net profit) company. DORM Annual Income Statement - Dorman Products Inc. Annual Financials

Like everything in life, decisions are based on what the individual values. Your choices will be different than mine. They will be correct for you, but incorrect for me, and visa versa.

Irrespective of our views (new HV pack vs module swap), we will continue to live happily ever after.

18. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the common sense answer to trying to repair a 12 year old car is to do it as cheaply as possible,(TOOLS, a cheap socket set and multi meter from harbor freight, total cost $21.00....step by step instructions here or youtube videos..thats how I did my first module exchange years ago...) today its 2400 for a new battery than the abs pump goes out, well its only another 1500 than the invertor dies well we just spent 4 grand on a car worth 2 so we might as well spend more to keep it on life support to recover our initial investment.. its a machine sooner or later it will fail and not be worth fixing. unless you still pay 4 bucks a gallon for gas theres no advantage to driving a hybrid these days ..they have low resale value and with cheap gas they are rotting on dealer lots..i have seen running 2005's with under 175,000 miles advertised for as little as 1899 + 299 dealer fee.. 2010's for 6 grand..its a dying market and will be until fuel is over 3.50 a gallon..but some people demand new everything dealer installed..and they wonder why they are always broke.

#17 Beachbummm, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  19. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about that bummmm, here in TX they are pretty popular even with CHEAP gas. The reason seems to be they are very feature-laden for their age and Texans drive a LOT. I think the annual average miles are about 20,000, so going from 15 MPG in a pickup to and from work, into a 45 MPG Prius can easily save the vehicle cost in a couple years.

20. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    buy em up and resell them, cheap in florida..
    yes its cheap now until your 12 yr old car has an expensive problem, than what are you saving?
    if I didn't get my 08 for $900 bucks I would not have bought another prius..I replaced one module for $25 to get it running again, the dealer told the people to expect 500 to 700 in diagnostic fees because all the HV code were generic short to ground..I got luck but I was looking at a mazda that got 39 mpg..easy and cheap to fix.
    Toyota Prius craigslist
    Used 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback in Hudson, FL near 34667 | JTDKB20U597891411 | Auto.com
    Used 2013 Toyota Prius Three Hatchback in Tampa, FL near 33614 | JTDKN3DU9D0345526 | Auto.com

21. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A