1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unknown '05 Complications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Boatwrong, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still not cheap, if you cannot buy that car for $4500, it wouldn't be a deal worth pursuing.

CAR prices are W A Y down right now, if it is not a Pickup or SUV, even dealers are lucky to get trade for them. There are select car models that bring closer to normal, or even premium money, but they are few and certainly not the efficient ones.

You are spot on about one thing though, excellent time to buy up all the GOOD efficient cars you can afford, at a good price. You'll be sure to make $$$ once gas goes up again and it will!

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agree, for the most part; cheaply w/in reason. Your definite of cheaply, will very likely be different than mine.
    Since we both seem to have some degree of automotive mechanical aptitude, monetary labor is saved.
    Parts is a different issue. Depending on the part and cost of OEM vs next "quality" brand part, I will always try to go OEM. As you know, you get what you pay for.

Again, good for you. I am happy that your module replacement has held up. However, I am of the view point that your repair is the exception to the rule: most module repairs don't last. Some will agree with me, others will disagree.

I place a high value on reliability. A new HV Pack will likely suffer ZERO module failures over its useful life (8-10+ years) vs a HV pack that has modules replaced.

$2071; a $329 difference. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Toyota of San Bernardino Online Parts Store
    Replacements packs have steadily declined over the years; in 2004, IIRC a new pack was listed at $6K.

ABS pumps seem to last a really long time. When the current one fails, repair w/ new ($1370) or used ($100-$300) will be addressed at that time.

Very few invertor failures have been posted here. Replacement w/ a used one would make absolute sense.

We are in agreement on this. We just have a different approach.

My view to repairs are this:
    1) How much longer do I plan/want to use the car?
    2) What part failed and its cost to repair?
    3) Overall condition of the car?

You have a hard time accepting that some would want to spend $2071 on a new OEM HV Battery pack, esp on a low value/worthless vehicle. You view this as crazy and a waste of money; that's fine. This, obviously, is not for you. But just maybe, you might understand, and even appreciate, why some may choose this route. For me, and probably others, it is a calculated decision driven by:
    1) High Priority on reliability.
    a) A new replacement OEM HV Battery will likely give 8-10+ years of trouble free service, in terms of the HV Battery.
    b) A module replacement might result in an inopportune failure.​
    2) This new OEM HV Battery is readily transferable, should a cost prohibitive repair or accident force early vehicle retirement.
    a) I can transplant it easily into another Gen2 (2004-2009).
    b) I can transfer these modules into a Gen3 HV (2010-2015) battery case.​
    3) Some households have multiple Gen2s.
    4) Time is a limited resource, like money. One must pick and chose how they spend their resources, based on what they value.

#23 exstudent, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so you will not install a used battery module for $25 but you would consider a used ABS pump for $300..I don't think Id risk my life on a used abs pump....if the battery dies again its inconvenient but not life threating ..when your brakes fail that's another story

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When the brake modulator should fail, new vs used would be assessed at that time. Hopefully a sound and reputable company will have remanufactured modulators, as are currently available for other makes & models.

Swapping in a used module is appealing, from a price stand point, but not from a reliability standpoint. As you know, I place a premium on reliability, and there are others who have this same view too. A new OEM HV Battery ensures 8-10+ years of trouble free operation, in terms of the HV Battery; yes, other components of the car may fail. The rule still seems to be, module swapping is not a long term repair, for most people. Your repair is the exception; there are far more people who report additional module failures in a short period of time. 2% of the people who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, actually survive; the rule still stands: jumping = death.

The Gen2 module inventory is getting old. 2004-2009 = 7-12years in age, and counting.

We each will do what we deem best, based on our respective values. New HV Pack that can be swapped into another Gen2 or a Gen3 (via module transfer into the Gen3 battery case) ensures no battery issues for the 8-10+ years. This asset, albeit pricey, buys me reliability. If you amortize the cost over its expected lifetime, its cheap:
    8years) $2071/8years = $259/year / year/12months = $22/month
    10year) $2017/10years = $207/year / year/12months = $17/month.​

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have to agree. Even without obd diagnostics, to take the car into Big-O Tires with that Christmas tree's worth of lights, replace a 12 volt battery that more-n-likely has nothing to do with the problem?

The ray of hope: after weeks in limbo, they're going to take it to a dealership.