1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unlocking all doors with SKS (Was: Deleted)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

DELETING

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wont the car remote work just like normal whereas you can unlock all doors with the push buttons or no?

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

5. benighted

benighted New Member

Wow! this thread doubled in just a few minutes. I have my SKS set to unlock all the doors when I touch the drivers side handle. Its more convenient for me because a lot of times I have passangers that want in too.

6. benighted

benighted New Member

If you grab the back handle quickly it will unlock all of the doors (you don't need to hold it for 2 seconds) without opening the hatch.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you just momentarly touch the strip you'll hear all the doors unlock but hold it a few seconds longer and the hatch will also unlock. That's how I do it. There is no "handle" it's all electronic. The touch strip tells a computer to unlock the hatch which energises a solenoide that pulls the latch which releases the hatch. No simple mechanical linkage from the strip to the lock mechenism. So if your walking to the back door from behind the car this is the easiest way to ulock all the doors. Other wise the fob or do the touch strip on the front passanger door.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    okok.. to clarify

just press the release button in the hatch to unlock all the doors. I do that all the time since my SKS setting is at default. So if I want to unlock all doors, I just take an extra step to press the hatch release before I go to the driver's side. You can press it without having the hatch open.

You don't even need to grab the front door handle to unlock. Just slide your hand in between and lift it back up. It's like sliding a credit card through.

11. benighted

benighted New Member

Yes.

12. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tracysbeans, God luv ya, you're driving me nuts!!!!

people need to start paying attention to the differences between the words UNLOCK and OPEN. walking up to a prius does not OPEN anything, and you can only OPEN one door at a time. UNLOCKING, however, is a different matter entirely :D

The black strip and every other way anyone refers to them are the touch pads on the inside of the door handles. By default, gripping the passenger or hatch handles unlock ALL doors, while the drivers handle only unlocks the drivers door. None of the doors will unlock without first being touched, so you HAVE to have a hand free no matter what. If you can use that hand to open the door, you could've used it to unlock all of them with the FOB in the first place.

**There IS a way to change it so the drivers handle will unlock all of them. Someone else will have to explain how, or you can search for that thread. It involves pushing a combination of FOB keys in conjunction with the way the car is configured.

Other thoughts:
    1. :huh: Park with the passenger side facing the store so you reach that side first on your way out, and can load from there.
    2. :) Take a friend along to open the doors.
    2. :blink: Use that super technologically advanced thing they invented a few years back... whats it called? oh yeah... A shopping cart.
    3. B) Use a bag boy to carry your stuff for you.
    4. ;) Stand by your car till someone comes up to ask about driving a prius, and offer to explain it if only they'll open your doors for you...

Jim

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

15. cgraham

cgraham Member

The following indicates that the unlock function can be customized in 1 of 3 ways. I don't entirely understand the difference between DRIVER’S/ALL/EACH - in fact I happened to call my salesma today and he didn't know. But it's a clue.

Please note this is not 2006 info: I don't know if it has changed since this was written (undated, but '04 or '05).

When I pick up my car tomorrow, I may ask about it - but it's not much of an issue for me.

C.

Toyota documentation:

BE-4 BODY ELECTRICAL — MULTIPLEX COMMUNICATION
    CUSTOMIZED BODY ELECTRONICS SYSTEM
    1. General
    The customized body electronics system enables the control function settings of the ECUs to be changed
    through the use of a hand-held tester.
    However, this system can change the settings of only the ECUs

SMART UNLOCK (SMART door unlock mode)
    Setting an operation to unlock a door with
    SMART function.
    DRIVER’S/ALL/EACH/DRIVER’S

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    to do this without the toyota scan tool, press and hold the [EDIT: it's the LOCK AND PANIC buttons] at the same time for five sec. at least, i'm quite sure. it is late after all...

the drivers door is set to only unlock the drivers door when the handle is touched. (driver's) you can set it to open all doors if you like. (all)

when you open the hatch or the passenger side door it opens all doors. i think "each" will set it so that you have to unlock each door individually.

it's late, i'm tired, and hopefully i typed all this out right.

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

18. benighted

benighted New Member

I know a way you can find out.

19. cgraham

cgraham Member

So does that mean that each time you do it it cycles to the next function in the loop, Galaxee? Or do you have to do something else as well?
    Hey, you awake now? Huh? Huh?

C

20. smy

smy New Member

Doesn't Toyota supply a bag boy with the 2006 Prius for this very reason? I think it is part of the bumper-to-bumper warrant. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.